Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

I think the USPS is using old maps...

Old 02-25-08, 08:33 PM

I think the USPS is using old maps...

Just over 3 weeks ago I sent 2 boxes from Brea, CA to San Diego - about a 2 hour trip. The first box only took 6 days to reach its destination, but was heavily damaged when it arrived. The second box, mailed at the same time, just arrived. According to the Delivery Confirmation information that the Post Office pulled for me, it went the scenic route through a distribution center in New Jersey!?

In all fairness, I mail a lot of things and this has been my first problem outside peak holiday times so I guess I can't be too critical, but 3 weeks+ for that trip is amazing.

Anyone else have any good shipping stories?
Old 02-25-08, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just be glad they didn't charge you more for sending it to New Jersey.
Old 02-25-08, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Someone mailed me a package last saturday via priority and it has been sitting about 100 miles away from me for the past week. I also have only received mail once this week, and half of it wasn't for my house.
Old 02-26-08, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

USPS sucks! PERIOD! There are proponents of it who will praise the ability to deliver a letter for the small amount of postage, but they are ridiculously ignorant when it comes to tracking packages and providing estimated delivery dates.
Old 02-26-08, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had this happen not long ago. a package with 2 dvds was sent out from OH to me in Philly PA. it made it to the Philly sorting facility. great no problem I should get it in a day or two. then for two weeks it ended up in a constant loop in california somewhere. it would be checked in at the sorting facility overthere, it would be check out as departed and then hours later it would be checked back in. I tried calling everywhere but no good. eventually it made it to me.
Old 02-26-08, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Let me get this straight.....you guys don't send packages UPS or Fedex? Only thing that we send through the USPS is letters and bills...other than that forget it....there isn't that much savings.
Old 02-26-08, 09:16 AM

I had someone ship a package to me using USPS from Green Bay to Milwaukee. According to Mapquest, it would be a two-hour drive. The package actually arrived 6 days later, with detours to Minnesota and Illinois along the way.

The good news was that it arrived undamaged. I always panic when I get those USPS plastic baggies with a shredded fragment of a letter or package, emblazoned with the message "The contents of this parcel were damaged/destroyed during shipment"
Old 02-26-08, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Not making any excuses for the USPS, but these are simply missorts in most cases.

Whether they are happening due to faulty automatic reading of the zip or human error I don't know.

What I can tell you is back when I worked as a sorter for UPS, missorts were frequent when you're required to handle a package every 3 seconds (not an exaggeration - it's timed).

So if I missort a package and the guy out at the dock doesn't catch it either, it goes on the wrong truck. I worked in IL, and I remember seeing a totally busted up package from CA going to Hawaii, and it sat in our hub for two weeks.
Old 02-26-08, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never understood the post office. I'll have packages arrive in state but then go half way across the country and back before I receive it. But then on the other end, I had a package shipped to me from CO that he sent on Sat morning which arrived yesterday. It makes no sense.
Old 02-26-08, 10:41 AM

I recently placed an order for a coat for my wife. It was shipped from PA via DHL. We watched the tracking because I wanted my wife to have it that weekend... so as it got closer and closer it was apparent we would have it. Then a strange thing happened. It arrived at our local DHL facility (Riverside, CA) but was then handed off to the USPS - a new service called [email protected] The next day at work I check the tracking and the coat has been delivered. I called my wife to let her know it would be waiting for her at home. But there's a problem... no coat at the house. Now we have a community mailbox, so I thought maybe it was in the package bin... but nobody left me a key in my box. After several calls to DHL (sorry you'll have to call the post office) and several calls to the post office (I don't know where it is, you'll have to call DHL) we finally called the company it was ordered from and demanded a refund. That was the stupidest thing I've ever seen. a hand-off from one company to another gives both companies a scape-goat and neither one is responsible.

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
What I can tell you is back when I worked as a sorter for UPS, missorts were frequent when you're required to handle a package every 3 seconds (not an exaggeration - it's timed).
Seconded. I used to work for UPS as well. If we see a damaged package we are supposed to give it to our supervisor who is supposed to re-box it and then let it continue on its way. Several times I was told not to waste time by bringing them the damages... so eventually I stopped doing it.

Not to hijack the thread, but here's my problem with UPS in general. Everyone who handles your package is union. And those that aren't drivers care about their jobs just enough not to lose them... and with the union rules we had set up pretty much the only thing you could get fired for was fighting or destroying a package in front of a supervisor. When I started I cared about the job and I wanted to do it well. Shortly thereafter when I was finishing my truck and helping several other people with their trucks (not during busy times either) I realized that I was being punished for doing a good job. I had to do more work while others were allowed to be lazy because they knew that I would be coming to help them... so I got lazy too.

Anyway I saw enough crap at UPS that I never want to use them for another package again. I've never had much problem with USPS ecxept the one related above. Fedex is decent - though they called me yesterday because they couldn't find my street... I wasn't home and I just talked to the guy... the girl who has this route today knows this area better, so I should get it today.

It is a sad truth that in this day and age nobody really cares about their jobs any more. I don't like my job that much, but I try to do it the best that I can. When I've had other jobs in the past they were crap jobs - UPS, auto parts delivery, pizza - but I did them to the best of my ability... because that is what I was paid to do. The only thing that deterred me was the union thing. Everybody in that place was in the mindset of "I only need to do the job well enough not to get fired." and being union it was almost impossible to get fired... so that prepetuated the bad mindset.
Old 02-26-08, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

it's a job where you sort packages, not trying to find a cure for cancer
Old 02-26-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by C-Mart
I recently placed an order for a coat for my wife. It was shipped from PA via DHL. We watched the tracking because I wanted my wife to have it that weekend... so as it got closer and closer it was apparent we would have it. Then a strange thing happened. It arrived at our local DHL facility (Riverside, CA) but was then handed off to the USPS - a new service called [email protected] The next day at work I check the tracking and the coat has been delivered. I called my wife to let her know it would be waiting for her at home. But there's a problem... no coat at the house. Now we have a community mailbox, so I thought maybe it was in the package bin... but nobody left me a key in my box. After several calls to DHL (sorry you'll have to call the post office) and several calls to the post office (I don't know where it is, you'll have to call DHL) we finally called the company it was ordered from and demanded a refund. That was the stupidest thing I've ever seen. a hand-off from one company to another gives both companies a scape-goat and neither one is responsible.
I don't like that service either. The "delivered" means delivered to the local PO. It can still takes days after that. What a crappy service.

Originally Posted by C-Mart
Not to hijack the thread, but here's my problem with UPS in general. Everyone who handles your package is union. And those that aren't drivers care about their jobs just enough not to lose them... and with the union rules we had set up pretty much the only thing you could get fired for was fighting or destroying a package in front of a supervisor.
So true. Made me remember a time where I guy I knew out on the loading dock asked several time to go take a leak - he needed to go very badly. After being refused several times - he was told to wait for the mid-shift hubwide break. Finally he had enough, and went and took a leak on the trailer outside. He got caught and was "terminated", which basically meant go talk to the steward the next day and you're back at work.

The only other thing you get fired for obviously was theft. They tried to outlaw the non-see through Coleman-type coolers we used to get us through the insanely hot nights. We all ignored it, and there was nothing they could do.
Old 02-26-08, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by al_bundy

But what if the cure for cancer was inside the package?
Old 02-26-08, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had an Amazon order go from Missouri to Kansas, on the way to me in Colorado. It then turned around, and went to New Jersey. Amazon shipped me another order UPS when I saw where the first one was, and they both arrived on the same day.

Other than that, I don't have a problem with the USPS.
Old 02-27-08, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They have to pass the package around to see if anyone wants what's in it first, if no one is interested they can deliver it.
Old 02-27-08, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by jonw9
But what if the cure for cancer was inside the package?
the important packages usually get routed correctly

can't remember any problems with CDW or Amazon. month ago we spent $30,000 on a server and storage. the storage array was the last to arrive and UPS kept delivering it at 7pm for 2 days. Quick call to our sales rep at CDW solved that problem
Old 02-27-08, 10:30 AM

So what? Do you get pissed off when you get a damaged package or a package gets routed incorrectly?

Someone is being paid to do a job. I freely admit that I did not do the job I was paid for once I caught on... the reason is that the union protected my job even if I didn't do it to the level that UPS expected. If UPS were able to terminate my employment due to me doing my job poorly then perhaps I wouldn't have thrown a few packages. Perhaps I would have paid more attention to the zip codes that came down my slide rather than just scanning everything.

I actually regretted the time that I reported a leaking trailer on a rainy night... because they had to go unload it and send all the crap back through and I had to load it a second time.

The truth is that most people don't like their jobs... but in most cases they do the job ok because they need the money and have a fear of losing that job if they do it poorly. Of course there are those that bounce from crap job to crap job because they don't care and feel they are 'underpaid', but for some places, like UPS, the Union only serves as a scapegoat for poor performance. "It doesn't matter how badly I do my job, the union protects me" We had a guy drive a tug into a plane once. He put hole in the side of a plane and caused a delay that cost the company god knows how much money. He got reassigned for a couple of weeks and was then back driving tugs. Meanwhile the delivery drivers (different union) get fired on the spot if they get 1 ticket on their record.
Old 02-27-08, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

can't remember when UPS gave us a damaged package

of course the online businesses know how to pack properly and 99% of the complaints you hear about UPS are people that don't follow the guidelines for proper packing
Old 02-27-08, 02:43 PM

can't remember when UPS gave us a damaged package

of course the online businesses know how to pack properly and 99% of the complaints you hear about UPS are people that don't follow the guidelines for proper packing
I have to agree with you there. I can't tell you the number of times we had loose screws or nails rolling down the ramps because they were just thrown loosly into a box. The worst was one time I picked up a package and turned it to get the bar code scanned. I felt the contents shift and a 12" metal spike punched through the side of the box and embedded itself in the deck of the trailer, not 3" from my foot. Laser toner was always bad too. Those broke open very often... usually just a flimsy plastic bag inside a flimsy box. Oh, and Ladybugs were often escaping their packaging.
Old 02-27-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

we regularly get servers shipped to us and HP/CDW really know how to pack. only time we had broken servers come in is when we bought used
Old 02-27-08, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i've had two packages ship from the same place a little less than a week apart and the one that shipped out last was the first one i received.