Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Freezer stopped freezing, but ref. still cools. Start relay?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-25-08, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So I came home today and splashed in puddle in my kitchen floor. Opened the freezer and everything had thawed. Opened the fridge and everything is still cool as it should be. Something clicks every 3-5 minutes. A quick google search is pointing to the relay. It said the clicking is the relay trying to turn the compressor on.

Before I call the local joint tomorrow is there anything else I should look for? It doesn't seem to be the compressor because the refrigerator is still cooling. Not saying it isn't, but doesn't seem likely. I'm going to tell them to bring a relay and defrost timer if they have them for my model. I know they make universal relays, but I'm not sure about timers.

thanks!

Last edited by kantonburg; 02-25-08 at 07:38 PM.
Old 02-25-08, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would think that if the relay is clicking, it is switching, but something isn't coming on.

I would think that maybe it is the starting capacitor in the compressor, but that would require two compressors for your appliance, and I don't know how common that is.
Old 02-25-08, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well from what I've read if you can get the relay off and shake it it'll rattle if it's bad. I just can't get the dang thing off. The little black box on the compressor where it's at won't open up. Maybe I'm not applying enough force, but I don't know what is required and I don't want to break anything else.
Old 02-25-08, 08:19 PM

I suspect something's gone wrong with the defrost system. When was the last time you verified the freezer was frozen? With the door closed, it would take a long time (definitely longer than a workday) to thaw the freezer contents to the point of water on the floor, even with a dead compressor. My theory is the defective defrost system is heating up your freezer compartment.
Old 02-25-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I finally got the relay box off. I'm going to buy a new one tomorrow and give it a whirl. At the very least the relay is bad. I took it off and not only did it rattle, pieces of burnt stuff from the inside fell out. Not to mention it smelt toast. All signs of a bad relay of course.

I'll update if my local shop has one tomorrow. If not I'm going to order one from RepairClinic.com

http://www.repairclinic.com/SmartSea...6721&PPStack=1

This is my part. $38.xx shipped 2 day fed-ex.
Old 08-09-08, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know this is WAY late. But for the record it was the relay. Works like a charm now.
Old 08-10-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've had pretty much the opposite problem with my fridge as-of-late. The freezer seemed to be freezing WAY too much, and the "ports" through to the fridge were icing over, causing the fridge to go warm.

Did a manual defrost on the whole thing a week or so back, and it seems OK...for now.

This all happened after the "beer fridge" in the basement started to freeze everything...although a good cleaning of the coils seems to have fixed that.
Old 08-11-08, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

both my refrigerator and freezer are warmer than they should be. the freezer is like a refrigerator, and the refrigerator is cool but not cold.

anyone have any ideas?

edit: this is a fridge in a detached garage.
Old 08-11-08, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kantonburg
I know this is WAY late. But for the record it was the relay. Works like a charm now.
good job fixing it yourself. you saved a lot of $$$ over calling a repairman.
Old 08-11-08, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SoSpacey
both my refrigerator and freezer are warmer than they should be. the freezer is like a refrigerator, and the refrigerator is cool but not cold.

anyone have any ideas?

edit: this is a fridge in a detached garage.
There was another thread which stated some units only refrigerate XX amount of degrees below ambient temp.

Being in an enclosed garage, not insualted (?) with warm temps may be the culprit.
Old 08-11-08, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by jonw9
There was another thread which stated some units only refrigerate XX amount of degrees below ambient temp.

Being in an enclosed garage, not insualted (?) with warm temps may be the culprit.

its been doing it for a while now. through last winter, spring and now summer. i was going to bring it in to the house and put it in the basement but dont want the hassle if i cant fix it.

i bought a coil brush but that didnt seem to do anything.
Old 08-11-08, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is it making a clicking noise like I mentioned earlier? Mine did exactly that except it didn't go through seasons. It was over the course of a few days.