Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

anyone ever bought diamonds online?

Old 02-25-08, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

anyone ever bought diamonds online?

im looking for engagement rings and my SO found a setting she loves - its a very nice looking ring and a decent price so id probably get that. however the diamonds at this store are rediculously expensive.

so i want to get a nice diamond online and then bring that to the store and have them place it in that setting.

a) will the store be willing to do that even though i didnt buy the diamond from them? (its not a chain store btw...a smaller jewelry store)

b) has anyone ever bought diamonds online? which sites are reputable? ive never bought anything close to this expensive online and i have some doubts/fears about having a diamond shipped - could be easily stolen.

c) what other factors should i be considering...anyone whos done this sort of thing in the past, do you have any suggestions/recommendations? thanks.
Old 02-25-08, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

and look at what pops up right below my post:

looks like the auto-ad generator answered my question.
Old 02-25-08, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think there are many threads on this as I've searched for them in the past when I was buying a ring for my wife.

a) Just ask the store.
b) Yes - I bought my ring online from: http://www.jamesallen.com

I got a great price, loved the ring, and I got an independent appraisal from a local store that was higher than I paid. Much better (IMHO) than overpaying in a mall store.
c) Check out http://www.pricescope.com/ for all your questions/answers - they have a very active forum.
Old 02-25-08, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

thanks.
Old 02-25-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought my wifes stone from dirtcheapdiamonds.com before they switched to jamesallen.

They had great service.

Went to a local jeweler to make the setting and set the stone. The jeweler was very impressed with the diamond I got and was shocked at how cheap I was able to get it.
Old 02-25-08, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

do you basically just input the diamond specs you want (carats, clarity, cut, etc) and they just send you one that fits that description or do you actually end up buying the exact one they have on a website?

stupid analogy but if i buy a dvd from amazon, they just go back and pick one of the 1000s out of a bin and mail it to me but if i want to buy a car online i will purchase an exact one online and i get that same one from the website. which way do online diamond purchases go? (alot of the pictures say "not actual diamond" so im having a hard time figuring out how it works)

also do they have a good return policy in case the diamond doesnt look as nice as youd hope? im a little weary because like i said earlier, this is a huge online purchase.
Old 02-25-08, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You put in the specs and it will show you all of the diamonds that are within your parameters.

They will send you the one pick out from that list. If you don't like it you get a full refund if returned within 30 days. That gives plenty of time to get an independent appraisal if you want.

I got lucky and was thrilled with my first pick.
Old 02-25-08, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I bought my wife's engagement ring from mondera.com after considering many other sites and my wife loves her ring. I selected the diamond after months of watching prices and comparing options. I then added the setting once I had found the right diamond. Good Luck
Old 02-25-08, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Trying to find D,E or F clarity diamonds is impossible in my god-forsaken city. I ended up buying the ring from Blue Nile - the price/quality ratio was absolutely unbeatable. I took it to The Best Jeweler In Town to get a matching wedding ring made and the lady that appraised the diamond was shocked at the quality of the diamond, and the price I paid.
Old 02-26-08, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 02-26-08, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Shazam
Trying to find D,E or F clarity diamonds is impossible in my god-forsaken city. I ended up buying the ring from Blue Nile - the price/quality ratio was absolutely unbeatable. I took it to The Best Jeweler In Town to get a matching wedding ring made and the lady that appraised the diamond was shocked at the quality of the diamond, and the price I paid.
Same here.

People are "shocked" when they find out what you actually paid after the ring has been appraised.
Old 02-26-08, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shazam
Um, D, E, and F are color grades, not clarity. All whipped guys are supposed to know this!
Old 02-26-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I bought my ring at whiteflash. They were great. They also make custom rings as well.
A good source for diamond info would be http://www.pricescope.com/
I'm too lazy to link sorry! I read over a lot of the info on pricescope before choosing a diamond.
Old 07-18-08, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

bump - is it realistic to buy the setting from a real store and then buy the diamond online and then ask the store to put it all together? or will they say no becaues i didnt buy the diamond from them?
Old 07-18-08, 06:24 PM
X
Administrator

That's no problem at all. I did that myself, but I didn't buy the diamond online.
Old 07-18-08, 08:21 PM
Banned

Yes, and no. Yes, you can buy online and they will mount it, but no, do not do it.

Diamond gradings aren't exact - they're done by hand. So two F diamonds can look completely different side by side, and often do.

What most diamond dealers do is they keep their higher quality "F" diamonds in store, and put their poorer quality "F" diamonds online where you can't see it.

The best thing to do, if you find a place that looks appealing, is to 1) make sure the website offers a full refund, then 2) bring it a local jeweler and compare it to their diamonds. You'll see a difference.

So, you may pay less with an online diamond, but it's often because you're getting less, not because you're getting a deal.
Old 07-18-08, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My past, present and future ring came from ebay. It was just as described, we researched the seller quite a bit, didn't want to get taken for a ride.
Old 07-18-08, 08:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PrincessT
My past, present and future ring came from ebay. It was just as described, we researched the seller quite a bit, didn't want to get taken for a ride.
How were you able to grade the mounted diamonds?
Old 07-18-08, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It had a diamond report or something like that that told the clarity and color grades and diagramed the imperfections.
Old 07-18-08, 08:53 PM
Banned

But that's the problem. Those grades are done by the person selling the diamond most of the time, and two diamonds with identical grades can look (and be worth) completely different amounts.

The last time I bought a diamond, I had one from online sites shipped to me, and brought them to my jeweler. Two diamonds, exact same grade, exact same color, exact same cut, exact same proportions, even (crown angles, pavilion angles, etc.) and you could tell the different with the naked eye.

If you're happy with a diamond, you're happy with it. Just don't believe that if it has the same "grade" on a piece of paper as another more expensive diamond, that you got a good deal.
Old 07-18-08, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by matta
But that's the problem. Those grades are done by the person selling the diamond most of the time, and two diamonds with identical grades can look (and be worth) completely different amounts.

The last time I bought a diamond, I had one from online sites shipped to me, and brought them to my jeweler. Two diamonds, exact same grade, exact same color, exact same cut, exact same proportions, even (crown angles, pavilion angles, etc.) and you could tell the different with the naked eye.

If you're happy with a diamond, you're happy with it. Just don't believe that if it has the same "grade" on a piece of paper as another more expensive diamond, that you got a good deal.
For this reason, when buying online I would suggest getting a diamond with a GIA certification. GIA is generally considered the most discriminating certifier. You will not have the problem Matta mentions. I have bought several diamonds online that beat the pants off of store-bought diamonds, but I always stick to GIA certs.

Besides jamesallen and bluenile, I would suggest
http://diamondsatcost.com/ (formerly DBSdiamonds)

I have never had a problem with getting online diamonds mounted locally. This is always how do it.
Old 07-18-08, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But that's the problem. Those grades are done by the person selling the diamond most of the time...
why would anyone buy a diamond without a GIA or AGSL certification?
Old 07-18-08, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
If only this were true! LOL!
Old 07-18-08, 11:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Cool Kitten
why would anyone buy a diamond without a GIA or AGSL certification?
Who do you think does the GIA certification? The guy selling you the diamond. Seriously. A GIA certified diamond means that someone certified by GIA graded your diamond. Most people in the jewelry industry are certified by GIA. It's a 6 month certification you get by mail. Anyone with access to certain equipment can get it.

And he can be a grade off with GIA. So that F, VS2, Excellent cut is really a G, SI1, Good cut diamond. With AGSL or EGL, they can be up to 2 grades off. So that same F, VS2, Excellent is an H, SI2, Fair cut diamond.

That's why you can go to dirt cheap diamonds or Blue Nile and find two diamonds with the exact same "grades", both with a certification, and one will cost 50% more than the other. It's not that the cheaper diamond is a "deal", it's just a less valuable diamond.

How do you know? Look at them side-by-side. If you can't tell the difference, then go for the cheaper one. But in my experience, you can often see a big difference with the naked eye. The thing is, someone goes to blue nile, gets 1 diamond, and looks at it, and it looks fine. They never compare it to another diamond.

Last edited by matta; 07-18-08 at 11:15 PM.
Old 07-18-08, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, and no. Yes, you can buy online and they will mount it, but no, do not do it.

Diamond gradings aren't exact - they're done by hand. So two F diamonds can look completely different side by side, and often do.

What most diamond dealers do is they keep their higher quality "F" diamonds in store, and put their poorer quality "F" diamonds online where you can't see it.

The best thing to do, if you find a place that looks appealing, is to 1) make sure the website offers a full refund, then 2) bring it a local jeweler and compare it to their diamonds. You'll see a difference.

So, you may pay less with an online diamond, but it's often because you're getting less, not because you're getting a deal.
yikes thats scary to think about. it does make me hesitant about getting a diamond online but they can be so much cheaper! unfortunately its true that two diamonds with the same "stats" can be so different.

question is, is it worth the time and effort to try and find the deal online - if you find a good one, its a great deal. if not, its a pain. hence the advantage of getting one in person. im still trying to figure it all out.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.