Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

I drove my car on a lake...

Old 02-25-08, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I drove my car on a lake...

Yesterday I was up in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin and saw that there were tons of cars parked out on the lake. I guess they were ice fishing. So I decided why not, and drove my car on the lake. My wife was freaking out...and I have to admit, it was pretty scary..

Anyone ever drive on a lake? How thick does the ice get?
Old 02-25-08, 11:34 AM
Suspended

Old 02-25-08, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau did it in "Grumpy Old Men." I just hope you had some polka music going on the car stereo.
Old 02-25-08, 11:58 AM

During the time I lived in MN this idea totally freaked me out and I never brought myself to do it. But in retrospect a bear came after my car on the street so I guess the danger was all over.
Old 02-25-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

1" - no way
2" - ok
3" - Small Group
4" - All the way.

Used to do it all the time when we lived in Northern Saskatchewan, The ice was sometimes up to 2 feet thick when trying to get the auger through it. You know it's thick when the pressure ridges have a 3" gap between the peak.
Old 02-25-08, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Went snowmobiling on a river in Alaska.
Old 02-25-08, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by ANDREMIKE
Yesterday I was up in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin and saw that there were tons of cars parked out on the lake. I guess they were ice fishing. So I decided why not, and drove my car on the lake. My wife was freaking out...and I have to admit, it was pretty scary..

Anyone ever drive on a lake? How thick does the ice get?
Your profile says you're from Chicago so I find it quite humorous that you were in Lake Geneva over the weekend. Why, you ask? Because 'round these parts (Southeastern Wisconsin) Lake Geneva is fondly referred to by the locals as "Little Chicago" due to many of the people from your neck of the woods using it is a vacation spot. Just a little factoid for you.

Oh, and yes we drive on lakes to go ice fishing. It's quite fun when you roll the window down to hear the ice cracking/creaking (actually just settling) below you as you drive across it.
Old 02-25-08, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by jpoppe
Your profile says you're from Chicago so I find it quite humorous that you were in Lake Geneva over the weekend. Why, you ask? Because 'round these parts (Southeastern Wisconsin) Lake Geneva is fondly referred to by the locals as "Little Chicago" due to many of the people from your neck of the woods using it is a vacation spot. Just a little factoid for you.

Oh, and yes we drive on lakes to go ice fishing. It's quite fun when you roll the window down to hear the ice cracking/creaking (actually just settling) below you as you drive across it.

Yes I know about alot of people from Chicago going to Lake Geneva. We have been taking day trips up there for years. Mostly in the summer though. We now have a second home in Delavan and will be visiting the area more frequently..

I don't think I would drive on the lake again..... When we first went out there there were ruts in the ice about 4" deep. I drove around them as I was afraid the ice might be thinner in there ruts. Are there rules to driving on the ice? I was surpirsed not to see ropes or something for areas of safe passage. We were driving so slow, that another car passed us up..
Old 02-25-08, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You should have at least done some donuts.
Old 02-25-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ANDREMIKE
I was surpirsed not to see ropes or something for areas of safe passage.
The safe areas change over time. The lack of ropes should tell you that you're on your own.

A few years back, I took my old Subaru wagon out in a big frozen bay on Lake Champlain near where I lived at the time. Had good fun until I got stuck on a large rut at the very exit point. Some cool dudes in a van bailed me out.
Old 02-25-08, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I could never do that. I would always be afraid the ice would crack.
Old 02-25-08, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Would totalling your car be worth the risk of doing this?
Old 02-25-08, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
You should have at least done some donuts.

I actually saw someone doing donuts.... It was alot further out then where I was.
Old 02-25-08, 05:08 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-25-08, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The ice gets thick enough here to drive semis on it by this time of the year (assuming we've had a typically cold winter).

Personally, I don't care. Having grown up in Texas, I'm way too concerned that the ice would break to drive on it. I don't care how many other people are out there.
Old 02-26-08, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On the way up to where I snowboard, there's a small lake that has auto races on the ice. Every time I go up, I see Jeeps, SUV's, 4-wheelers, dirt bikes, whatever else cruising around a course set up with orange cones. I've never done it, mainly because none of my vehicles do real well on ice.