Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Robbery suspect (now dead) run over by victim's husband w/ SUV (charged with Murder)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Robbery suspect (now dead) run over by victim's husband w/ SUV (charged with Murder)

Old 02-25-08, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Otters love talking about criminals vs victims, so heres one I heard on local radio today:

Bolded for quick readers

As crime unfolds, husband reacts to attack
http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=286661

It was about 10 p.m. Almost closing time. Moretti’s wife waited outside, near the side entrance. He waited inside for the food. Then she started screaming. Moretti looked out and saw a man holding her with a knife, apparently trying to rob her.

That’s when police say Moretti snapped into action.

He pushed open the door and fired two warning shots with his handgun. Then, when the man fled, Moretti jumped into his GMC Yukon, chased the man down a nearby street, and ran over him three times — twice going forward, once in reverse — according to a warrant.

Within minutes, Moretti, a 41-year-old tattoo parlor owner, had gone from ordering a pizza to being charged with assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill.

The man he ran over, Aaron Lazarus McLeod, was still in critical condition at Cape Fear Valley Medical Center on Saturday night.

When reached by phone Saturday, Moretti said he didn’t want to talk about the incident.

“I’m very shaken up,” was all he would say.

Witnesses said Moretti was trying to protect his wife, Anna.

Carmine Celentano, the owner of Primo Pizza, was in the restaurant when everything happened.

Celentano described Moretti as a regular customer, a fellow businessman on Yadkin Road, and a friend.

“He’s a great guy,” Celentano said. “He was taking care of his family.”

Celentano opened Primo Pizza two years ago in an old Taco Bell. He said his business suffered Saturday. At 5 p.m., at what should have been the start of the dinner rush, the restaurant was empty.

“I’m just glad my customers weren’t hurt,” he said.

The Morettis were those customers Friday. Anna Moretti was not an employee of Primo, as some reports stated Saturday.

She had gone outside to stand at the entrance near the drive-through when she said McLeod tried to rob her, police said.

Police said McLeod may have been trying to force her inside to rob the restaurant.

Stan Moretti — whose full name is Stanton Mark Moretti Jr. — shot once into the air and then once in the direction of McLeod, police said.
That’s when McLeod fled. And that’s when Moretti started his SUV.

He pulled the truck onto Horseshoe Road, which intersects with Yadkin Road near the restaurant, and chased McLeod about 100 yards from Yadkin Road.

Teenage witnesses said Moretti ran off the road to strike McLeod.

On Saturday, skid marks crisscrossed Horseshoe Road. Tire tracks were clearly visible in the grass on the right shoulder.

“You could see (McLeod’s) body on the ground, and tires were going over him,” said DeMarcus Washington, a freshman at Westover High School who said he was at the nearby Sonic Drive-In when he heard the shots and ran to the scene.

Washington said he didn’t hear McLeod scream during the incident.

Sgt. S. Oates of the Fayetteville Police Department said when he arrived, McLeod was semiconscious.

No charges had been filed against McLeod as of late Saturday. Police did find a knife near the restaurant.

“Whenever we got there, the object was to get him to the hospital,” Oates said.

Stan Moretti, who owns Dog Pound Tattoo Parlor, was instrumental in catching a scam artist two years ago. A man had been impersonating a police officer and pretending to collect donations for needy children.

After Moretti gave $300 to the man, he saw a news report that said business owners along Yadkin Road were being scammed. Moretti then called the man’s cell phone and said he wanted to donate more money.

When the man came back, police were waiting at the tattoo parlor. They arrested the man and charged him with impersonating a police officer and obtaining property by means of false pretenses.

“Karma’s out there,” Moretti told The Fayetteville Observer at the time. “It’s all going to come back.”

---------------------------------

Well as Will Smith said, don't start none, won't be none. Sucks for the robber that he's in ICU, but he wouldnt be there if he didnt put himself in the situation. But the other guy is lucky he didnt hit someone else with those warning shots.

Last edited by stingermck; 02-27-08 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-25-08, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

why exactly would this man find it reasonable to chase someone down and run him over three times?
Old 02-25-08, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

He should have just shot the guy when he was threatening his wife with a knife instead of firing warning shots. But... yeah, I can't say I wouldn't do something similar (run over him multiple times) given the circumstances.
Old 02-25-08, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
He should have just shot the guy when he was threatening his wife with a knife instead of firing warning shots. But... yeah, I can't say I wouldn't do something similar (run over him multiple times) given the circumstances.
Maybe if he was standing in front of you, but you'd run him down as he was trying to get away? That's absolutely manslaughter.
Old 02-25-08, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
why exactly would this man find it reasonable to chase someone down and run him over three times?
Cause a man just threatened his wife with a knife and tried to rob her?

Sorry, but reasonable thinking doesn't apply to people in situations like this. Sucks for the robber, but I don't feel sorry for him.
Old 02-25-08, 10:07 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
The only problem I have with what I read is that McLeod hasn't been charged with anything.

There was no good reason for Moretti to chase McLeod down once he fled.
Old 02-25-08, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

if i was on the jury and the robber wasn't charged at some point, i would find the husband not guilty just to show a point
Old 02-25-08, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm sure the robbery suspect will be charged soon. It's a lot easier to get your ducks in a row for a good arrest warrant when you don't really have to worry about the suspect skipping out.

Both parties should most assuredly be charged. Fair or not, the husband's sentence will be stiffer than the alleged robber's.
Old 02-25-08, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
Cause a man just threatened his wife with a knife and tried to rob her?

Sorry, but reasonable thinking doesn't apply to people in situations like this. Sucks for the robber, but I don't feel sorry for him.
The guy was running away.. I'd expect an initial reaction when you see someone running away would be to check on your wife and see if she's injured, and call the cops, not run them down in your car.
Old 02-25-08, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

A warning shot in the heart would have been appropriate; chasing the man down the street after he flees is going to be a problem to defend.
Old 02-25-08, 10:42 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Originally Posted by OldDude
A warning shot in the heart
Old 02-25-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

And already an update!

Runover man moved to Chapel Hill hospital

Aaron Lazarus McLeod was still in critical condition Sunday evening, two days after he was run over by Stan Moretti after an apparent botched robbery.

As of Sunday, McLeod had not been charged with anything. Police did not say Sunday if or when additional charges would be filed.
Old 02-25-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is a case where the man should have died, and the guy plead temporary insanity.
Old 02-25-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck
Ugh, that should be punishment enough.
Old 02-25-08, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
The guy was running away.. I'd expect an initial reaction when you see someone running away would be to check on your wife and see if she's injured, and call the cops, not run them down in your car.
Reasonable reactions aren't part of the equation here. I'm not agreeing at all with what the guy did, but I can see why he did it. He could have seen his wife was fine and then went after the guy. You never know what the hell people are going to do when you threaten their loved ones.

Like others though, I have more of an issue with the robber not being charged with anything.
Old 02-25-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As I understand things, shooting the guy while he's threatening your wife with a knife is defensible. Running him over twice more after you've broken his legs is not.

Sadly, I see his point of view. If he'd just let the guy run into the night, the police would not have punished the knife-happy junkie.
Old 02-25-08, 11:25 AM

Attempted murder, my ass. Everybody knows the only way to kill a McLeod is to cut off his head.
Old 02-25-08, 11:32 AM
Suspended

Sounds like he just snapped for a minute after seeing his wife nearly robbed. Can't say I wouldn't have done the same thing. If I saw someone do that to the woman I love and I had a big ass SUV I'd most likely use it too.
Old 02-25-08, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Attempted murder, my ass. Everybody knows the only way to kill a McLeod is to cut off his head.
CRAP! How did I miss this and/or it take 17 post for someone to say this?

I was just saving an obvious Lazarus joke, if he died
Old 02-25-08, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by grrrah
This is a case where the man should have died, and the guy plead temporary insanity.
I'm sure that will be his defense. Hopefully it works.

Even though the POS deserved to die since those that prey on others should not be walking among us, it doesn't mean that the victim's husband can legally take him out. Especially armed with a knife. If he had a gun, the husband could at least claim that the guy pointed it at him while he was chasing him.

We'll see what happens.
Old 02-25-08, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck
And already an update!

Aaron Lazarus McLeod was still in critical condition Sunday evening, two days after he was run over by Stan Moretti after an apparent botched robbery.

As of Sunday, McLeod had not been charged with anything. Police did not say Sunday if or when additional charges would be filed.
I'm sure he will be just fine.
Old 02-25-08, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

uhm... what was Moretti doing with a gun in the first place? let alone public areas??

was this in Texas?
Old 02-25-08, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

uhhhh, lots of people, in all 50 states, own guns...
Old 02-25-08, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mole177
uhm... what was Moretti doing with a gun in the first place? let alone public areas??

was this in Texas?
North Carolina
Old 02-25-08, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mole177
Apparently protecting his family.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.