Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Going to Yosemite - What should I do?

Old 02-24-08, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Going to Yosemite - What should I do?

Me and my girlfriend are heading up to Yosemite in a couple weeks for the weekend. Any recommendations on what to do? According to their website i'll need to pick up some tire chains and there might be snow. I've never put on tire chains before I'm not even sure where we're staying yet, although we're thinking about just staying somewhere cheap outside the park and driving up.

Any must see sites? We're not really the hiking/biking/outdoorsy type, but mostly want to see some pretty sites and sounds, although some short hikes will probably be nice. We'll probably take a tour or something for sure and just want to relax. I don't think i've been up there since i was 2 or 3 years old with my parents, so I don't really know what to expect!
Old 02-24-08, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Me and my girlfriend are heading up to Yosemite in a couple weeks for the weekend. Any recommendations on what to do? According to their website i'll need to pick up some tire chains and there might be snow. I've never put on tire chains before I'm not even sure where we're staying yet, although we're thinking about just staying somewhere cheap outside the park and driving up.

Any must see sites? We're not really the hiking/biking/outdoorsy type, but mostly want to see some pretty sites and sounds, although some short hikes will probably be nice. We'll probably take a tour or something for sure and just want to relax. I don't think i've been up there since i was 2 or 3 years old with my parents, so I don't really know what to expect!
Cody Wyoming is an awesome little town just east of the park...

easy access to the park... make sure and go in the Old Faithful Lodge... it's amazing... the chandelier in particular...
Old 02-24-08, 10:35 PM
mbs
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hike Half Dome.
Old 02-24-08, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Cody Wyoming is an awesome little town just east of the park...

easy access to the park... make sure and go in the Old Faithful Lodge... it's amazing... the chandelier in particular...
Old 02-24-08, 11:08 PM
X
Administrator

Yeah, I'd make sure I was in the right state first.
Old 02-24-08, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is not the best time of the year to visit Yosemite (the one in California ), unless you ski, enjoy snow hiking/camping or just want to cuddle in the overpriced Lodge with a cup of cocoa. Lots 'o snow up there now, even in the Valley. Most trails are closed, the trail to Half Dome included (the cables to the summit won't be put up until mid-May at the earliest).

Here is a recent pic from the Valley that I grabbed from the Park site:

As far as accomodations outside the park, call ahead to make sure they are open and to check availability. Personally, I would try to reserve a campsite in late August, as those reservations will open up on March 15th (first come first serve). Crowded to be sure, but no snow .
Old 02-24-08, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, i'm aware of the snow, however i hear some of the sites with snow can make it even more beautiful. I think we're interested in spending some time at their ski area, as it sounds like it could be fun.

I'm worried about some of the trails and sites being closed, but we're only up there for a few days so the plan is to pretty much head up, see a few pretty things, take a tour, and be happy. Some of the thoughts here from this lady eased my mind a bit:

http://gocalifornia.about.com/od/cay...e/a/winter.htm
Old 02-25-08, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't really ski but I have visited Badger Pass a couple time in winter and I had fun learning to cross-country ski along the snowed over road to Glacier Point. A nice, easy grade with plenty of other ski-noobs so I didn't feel so ridiculous. Very picturesque, as well, especially when it started snowing lightly over us.

If you're entering through the South Entrance (Highway 41), a good place to stay that is just out of the park is The Apple Tree Inn (in Fish Camp). It's relatively inexpensive (well, compared to its neighbor, the behemoth Tioga Lodge) and quite cozy and well-maintained. Link to their website. Down the mountain, Oakhurst is filled with the usual chain-type motels, if you want a somewhat cheaper option. You could also stay at the Wawona Hotel a few miles into the park from the south entrance. It's a bit pricier and the rooms are small (and most don't have their own bathrooms) but it's a beautiful old Victorian hotel. Worth seeing even if you don't stay there. The Mariposa Grove is near the south entrance, too, and it's worth seeing, assuming the two mile road to it has been cleared of snow.
Old 02-25-08, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
what's the head scratch?...

Cody Wyoming is the last stop before the East entrance to the park...

it has cheap lodging...

one of the ranches is near there so i usually stay at the Erma, Buffalo Bill Cody's hotel, and go into the park from there...

is he from the other side of the park or something?... what part am i missing?...

oh he's in Cali...

never mind (think Emily Litella)
Old 02-25-08, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

is he from the other side of the park or something?... what part am i missing?...

oh he's in Cali...

never mind (think Emily Litella)
Can I have "National Parks that start with a Y" for 100, Alex?
Old 02-25-08, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 02-25-08, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by ResIpsa
I don't really ski but I have visited Badger Pass a couple time in winter and I had fun learning to cross-country ski along the snowed over road to Glacier Point. A nice, easy grade with plenty of other ski-noobs so I didn't feel so ridiculous. Very picturesque, as well, especially when it started snowing lightly over us.

If you're entering through the South Entrance (Highway 41), a good place to stay that is just out of the park is The Apple Tree Inn (in Fish Camp). It's relatively inexpensive (well, compared to its neighbor, the behemoth Tioga Lodge) and quite cozy and well-maintained. Link to their website. Down the mountain, Oakhurst is filled with the usual chain-type motels, if you want a somewhat cheaper option. You could also stay at the Wawona Hotel a few miles into the park from the south entrance. It's a bit pricier and the rooms are small (and most don't have their own bathrooms) but it's a beautiful old Victorian hotel. Worth seeing even if you don't stay there. The Mariposa Grove is near the south entrance, too, and it's worth seeing, assuming the two mile road to it has been cleared of snow.
Thanks for the heads up! Doing some Googling on some of the stuff you mentioned
Old 02-25-08, 10:41 AM

That's freakin' awesome.
Old 02-25-08, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-25-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cody Wyoming is an awesome little town just east of the park...easy access to the park
Only if there is a landing strip nearby.
Old 02-25-08, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Watch out for this guy

Old 02-25-08, 07:38 PM

But, not so much THIS guy...

Old 02-25-08, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Watch out for this guy

*pic of Yosemite Sam*
I thought you were gonna post a pic of BFrank.
Old 02-25-08, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just to be sure:

1) Make sure i'm in California, and not Wyoming.
2) Watch out for Yosemite Sam
3) Don't worry about Yogi Bear

I think i'm set!
Old 02-25-08, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Just to be sure:

1) Make sure i'm in California, and not Wyoming.
2) Watch out for Yosemite Sam
3) Don't worry about Yogi Bear

I think i'm set!
Our job is done
Old 02-26-08, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

OHHHHHHH...

i just got it...

fuck... this is one for the books...

somehow i read 'Yellowstone' every damn time i saw the word 'Yosemite'...

i haven't laughed this hard in a while... i'm literally crying...

it all makes sense now...

nevermind... (Emily Litella again)
Old 02-26-08, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

(Emily Litella again)
Old 02-26-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good ideas all. I like staying in the park, but it takes some luck and/or fortitude to get a room (I was able to go at this time of year and stay in the park, but I had to wait in line each morning to add another day). It's a bit more but I just like getting up every day and being right there.

I love going there in the winter, obviously you can't do a lot of the hiking to the higher parts, but it's not really needed since it's pretty quiet and peaceful in the valley. I don't even ski but I like it anyway (I usually bring a couple of those little plastic sleds, and maybe rent some snowshoes). There will be snow but the weather in the valley is reasonably moderate (for being the Sierras anyway) temperature-wise.
Old 02-26-08, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Ginwen
Good ideas all. I like staying in the park, but it takes some luck and/or fortitude to get a room (I was able to go at this time of year and stay in the park, but I had to wait in line each morning to add another day). It's a bit more but I just like getting up every day and being right there.

I love going there in the winter, obviously you can't do a lot of the hiking to the higher parts, but it's not really needed since it's pretty quiet and peaceful in the valley. I don't even ski but I like it anyway (I usually bring a couple of those little plastic sleds, and maybe rent some snowshoes). There will be snow but the weather in the valley is reasonably moderate (for being the Sierras anyway) temperature-wise.
Cool, we were thinking about renting snowshoes after reading the webpage and walking around. I've never worn snowshoes before!
Old 02-26-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

OHHHHHHH...

i just got it...

fuck... this is one for the books...

somehow i read 'Yellowstone' every damn time i saw the word 'Yosemite'...

i haven't laughed this hard in a while... i'm literally crying...

it all makes sense now...

nevermind... (Emily Litella again)
Whew! Anything you want to take back in my Southern New Mexico thread as well? After all I don't want to end up in Utah or anyplace like that.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.