Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Need Advice on Dog situation

Old 02-23-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Need Advice on Dog situation

So a bit of background first. my parents have a 7 year old dog who is very sweet but she has had some separation anxiety issues of late when she would be alone at their house (chewing a solid core door for example). They had her on medication and she's been ok.

My mom was retired and was able to be with the dog alot during the day to make sure that she didn't misbehave. Unfortunately, my mom died last Saturday evening and my Dad often travels for work so he won't be able to take care of the dog.

For now she's staying at either my brother's house or my house depending on everyones schedule. He already has two dogs so he can't keep her long term and as much as I like her, I'm just not ready for a dog between the financial aspect (food,vet bills, her rather expensive medication) and the lifestyle I live, especially with my work schedule and having to wonder if she will start to have issues again.

So we're trying to figure out what we should do. For a while it seemed like a family friend may take her but I'm not sure where that stands. We absolutely don't want to put her down but I'm not sure if a rescue would take her. Anyone have any experience with a situation like this? We want to come up with an option that will work but so far we're having problems finding one. On top of the shock and sadness of my Mom's death being worried about a long term solution for the dog is something I'd like to not have to do.
Old 02-23-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm so sorry about your mom. I have no advice to offer on the dog but I wish you well and hope it all turns out for the best.
Old 02-23-08, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry 'bout your mom.

And what kind of rescue would turn down rescuing a dog? That sounds like what's best.
Old 02-23-08, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Sorry about your mom. That sucks.

Put up an ad on Craigslist and explain the situation.
Old 02-23-08, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Very sorry to hear about your mother.

Yes, contact a local rescue shelter, this is what they are there for.
Old 02-23-08, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Maybe a local Petsmart or Petco will let you post an ad looking for a new companion for the dog.
Old 02-23-08, 05:40 PM

If you can't find a home for your folks' dog, I WOULDN'T give her to your local Animal Control/Humane Society, whatever, unless you're absolutely sure they have a no-kill facility. My area has several other independent adoption organizations that will accept dogs and none of them will put an animal down unless it's due to illness. They do accept older pets too.

Look in the yellow pages under Animal Adoption or something similar to see what's available.

Hope the poor old girl can find a new loving home, and so sorry about your mother also.
Old 02-23-08, 06:20 PM

I was having problems with my dogs since me and the GF broke up during the summer. They are now here by themselves all day. What I have found that helps is to get a kennel for them to stay in during the day. They were a little resistant at first, but I started giving them a treat in the morning before they went in. Now they hear the treat bag and go straight into their kennels and wait. I read somewhere that being in the kennel helps them feel more secure. Plus it gives my cats a chance to roam upstairs in safety during the day. Hope this helps.
Old 02-23-08, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks guys, I'm going to keep her temporarily and see how she is and see if I can afford to keep her. I'm just worried about how she'll be and also worried that because I'm not really ready for a dog that I won't be the best home for her. On top of it my brother is giving me a hard time about the idea of finding a new home for her. Not good all around but so far the dog seems ok so I'm cautiously optimistic. My dad said he'd pay for her pills and her vet bills so that will help.
Old 02-23-08, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

you brother has no right to give you a hard time.

it sounds like you're doing what you can.

maybe he could help you with the financial side of the dog.

if you can't keep him as mentioned "I WOULDN'T give her to your local Animal Control/Humane Society, whatever, unless you're absolutely sure they have a no-kill facility." this includes SPCA.
also i wouldnt put him on craigslist, while it's possible the kvrdave's suggestion is well intended, i still would nt do it.

give him to a dog rescue.
Old 02-23-08, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by whotony
while it's possible the kvrdave's suggestion is well intended
Old 02-23-08, 10:58 PM

Sorry about your Mom. Hope some of the advice here helps.
Old 02-23-08, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yes, of course very sorry about the loss of your mom.
Old 02-24-08, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Sorry 'bout your mom.

And what kind of rescue would turn down rescuing a dog? That sounds like what's best.
The sad fact is a lot of people will turn down the dog for consideration of adoption in the shelters, and if the dog is acting up from separation anxiety it won't get better in a shelter. I read a story online once (and I cannot find it right now) of a guy who took two of his dogs to a shelter because he wanted them to have a loving home and he found out later that the shelter put one of the dogs down and the other was under evaluation. He went back to the shelter because he was mad to learn one of the dogs had been put down...he thought it was a no kill shelter. He was told one of the dogs was biting people and so impossible to handle that they had to be put down. The bottom line was the dogs already had a loving home...his home. The dogs became scared and confused when left at the shelter and responded in unexpected ways. If your dog is suffering anxiety now, giving them to a shelter could make things tragically worse.

I wish there were easy answers...but there are not. I personally would recommend, if possible, somebody in the family helping the dog through the anxiety disorders and personally finding somebody to adopt them and introduce them slowly to the person and make the adoption process a bit more gradual. Dogs tend to make bonds with their human care givers for life...after 7 years it can be very hard on a dog to just give them away to a new person. And the new person will see the dog behave in ways they might consider bad and not understand, and respond to the animal negatively.
Old 02-26-08, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well we talked about the dog the other day and there is still a chance that his friend and wife will take her his wife is going to give them a call to talk about it. Aside from the reasons I've listed above, every time I come home seeing her is just a reminder that my mom is gone and while I'm sure the feeling will start to be diminished in time I think for the foreseeable future it'll be a bit much for me to handle.
If it doesn't work out with my brother's friends, we got the names of some people who help find homes for dogs from the vet so hopefully one of them can help out if our friends can't take her.
After yesterday he seemed to see my point of view and we agreed that if we do end up giving her to someone other than his friends, we will all talk about it first which I was planning on anyway. Hoping we can make the best of a bad situation. His friends have another dog who is similar size, temperament, and age, so I think she'd be very happy there. Plus then we could still see her.

Last edited by Cardiff Giant11; 02-26-08 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-26-08, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Amitripteline may help, if you want to go the medication route.

Sounds like you may already have her on it.
Old 02-26-08, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Numanoid
That was amusing.
Old 02-26-08, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
Amitripteline may help, if you want to go the medication route.

Sounds like you may already have her on it.
we have her on something Novartis makes called clomicalm. She was ok on my first day back to work today (all she did was drool a bit on the couch, at least it sure seemed like drool and not pee).
Old 02-27-08, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant
we have her on something Novartis makes called clomicalm. She was ok on my first day back to work today (all she did was drool a bit on the couch, at least it sure seemed like drool and not pee).
Try leaving a radio on softly where the dog stays during the day. Also if you have a piece of your mother's clothing you could try leaving that with the dog. Her scent may be a calming influence on her.
Old 02-27-08, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Try leaving a radio on softly where the dog stays during the day. Also if you have a piece of your mother's clothing you could try leaving that with the dog. Her scent may be a calming influence on her.
Thanks, I have a blanket that was at their house which I put on her dog bed (also was at her house). I've been leaving the TV on in the background with the sleep timer on for two hours when I go to work. I read that when dogs act out due to separation anxiety it's usually within the first hour or so. I'm hoping this will help without needing to leave the TV on all day. So far so good after two days. Hopefully we can find her a long term home but she's been very good in the mean time which makes everything easier.
Old 02-27-08, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sure your Mom was very attached to her-why wouldn't you want to have that part of her in your life? Do you think she'd be happy to know that you didn't want to be bothered with her dog?
Old 02-28-08, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Sorry 'bout your mom.

Same here about your mother. And just do a search for local dog rescue. There is also a place called dog town-I think in Nevada. They will take any and every dog.
Old 03-08-08, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So just a quick update. First, knowing my Mom, she wouldn't have wanted me to feel burdened by having to take in the dog. Having said that though, she's been very good and I think if our friends don't end up taking her in the next 3-4 months, I may end up keeping her long term. She's not done anything that could be even remotely related to separation anxiety and she and the cat are getting along well. My Dad offered to pay for her pills, vet bills, and even food. Though it may not be ideal what with my tiny yard, should our friends not be able to take her, I think I can give her a happy life with me.
Plus, probably the cheapest burglar alarm on the block
Old 03-09-08, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm glad to hear the dog is settling in well.

I hope your Dad is okay.
Old 03-09-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Do you have pics of the dog?