Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Ideas for Honeymoon in ITALY ?

Old 02-23-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ideas for Honeymoon in ITALY ?

Hello everyone!

Well the high, anxiety, and euphoria from proposing to my girlfriend back in December has started to wind down. The excitement for the wedding and HONEYMOON planning is started to wind up!

For a re-cap on my GREAT Engagement story, check out these 2 threads:
The Plan!
The Ring! (And the obstacle in getting it!)

As fort he honeymoon.... we both agree on 2 things:

We want semi-warm (or very warm) weather
We want it in Europe! - 99% sure we want Italy

We hear a lot about the Italian Riviera, so we think we'd like to check it out. But really we'd be fine with anywhere in Italy that's warm in Late SEPTEMBER 2009. I figure the Italian Riviera is right next to the French Riviera so we can get the best of both worlds!

I have been to Europe a few times myself, but have limited experience in Italy. This will be my Fiance's first trip there!

I'd LOVE any ideas and price estimates you kind people could help me out with! We don't have a budget set yet, but I think we could spend anywhere up to $5,000 USD. We'll be there for 7-10 days. We'll probably leave FOR Italy around September 21st or 22nd.

The exact date, location and time frame are all flexible! Any help you guys can provide would be great!

Thanks in advance (as always!)
Oh... P.S. My lawsuit with the woman who ran me down with her car as I walked into the diamond store to purchase the engagement ring, is starting to look good for me. We finally got a copy of the police report, and it backs up everything I said. Heck... I guess depending on how much a broken tailbone is worth these days, maybe the driver of the car will pay for the honeymoon.

THANK YOU and I LOOK FORWARD to brainstorming with you guys!

Last edited by Sominex; 02-23-08 at 12:33 PM.
Old 02-23-08, 12:55 PM
Suspended

I would go to Tuscany and drink a lot of wine.

But that's just me.
Old 02-23-08, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Obvious answer: Siena, Tuscany, hill towns, Cinque Terre. Or the lake district, Milan and the Italian Alps.
Old 02-23-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

San Gimignano
Cinque Terre
Old 02-23-08, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Almalfi coast is truly incredible as well, but extremely touristy and crowded...
Old 02-23-08, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amalfi Coast. I went in mid September and the weather was great. AMAZING place! The island of Capri is another mindblowing place, spent 4 nights there...
Old 02-23-08, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Do as the Itialians do. Have an affair.
Old 02-23-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Do as the Itialians do. Have an affair.

Do not make the mistake of telling her about the bridesmaid, a lot of wine, and the night before the wedding...
Old 02-23-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

if you want warmer in september...

the further south you go the better...

as a general rule...

i have a friend who lives in Italy i'll ask...
Old 02-23-08, 06:26 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Obvious answer: Siena, Tuscany, hill towns, Cinque Terre. Or the lake district, Milan and the Italian Alps.

Sienna and Tuscany are perfect. We loved it. Easy 1 hour drive to Venice as well to check it out. We did 2 day trips up. 95-100 mph no worries on the autostrada.

The only problem I had with Italy and it was down to planning was that we flew into Milan, and then had to drive to Bologna, this after a long flight. I was exhausted and very tired trying to drive.

I would suggest if you fly into Milan stay the night there, and then drive the next day to Tuscany.
Old 02-23-08, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Don't bother asking... there are no houses available in Tuscany.
Old 02-23-08, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

santorini and the islands are beautiful. it is much cheaper to stay at hotels outside of the center of town on santorini (it is about a 5 minute walk into town so mot bad at all). beautiful beaches and very romantic place.
Old 02-23-08, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i would stay away from an Italy vacation for a honeymoon

for a honeymoon i would go to a beach resort where all you do is lie on the beach and drink. after the wedding prep nightmare i don't want a vacation where i have to walk around an old city looking at old crap all day long. i want to relax
Old 02-23-08, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spray-on tan and fish lips.
Old 02-23-08, 11:04 PM

I was in Italy for a month this time last year and my favorite places were the Cinque Terre and Venice (although Pompeii was the best single thing I saw but it's nowhere near these two). Both are completely different and neither is really a relaxing place to just lay around if that is what you are looking for. The Cinque Terre is absolutely gorgeous and there are trails between each town that are great for people who are into hiking around. The people are also very nice and seem to appreciate the visitors in the Cinque Terre. I would say that the Cinque Terre and Venice are each worth at least two full days. You might also hit Milan for a day or two when traveling from one of these places to the other. With only 7-10 days, I would say it would be best to pick Northern, Southern or Central Italy and see places in that region so you aren't spending too much time traveling around.

If you are more into art and drinking wine, you may prefer Florence and Tuscany and you could maybe squeeze in Rome which also has some great things to see.

Whatever, you decide, you should pick up Rick Steves' Italy guide book. We had a few different ones when I was there and his was the most informative with great suggestions on places to eat, stay and see!
Old 02-24-08, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Call up Clooney and see if you can borrow his place on Lake Como.
Old 03-06-08, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
if you want warmer in september...

the further south you go the better...

as a general rule...

i have a friend who lives in Italy i'll ask...

Thanks! I'd love the advice!

So far Amalfi Coast seems great! Of course it would be nice to avoid the touristy spots as well!

Thanks Dr Mabuse!
Old 03-10-08, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I found a great site for Villa rentals here:

Here

I am glad you guys pitched the idea of going to "The Amalfi Coast" to me! It looks great! So I think it's narrowed down to that and the "Italian Riviera" aka- "Cinque Terre and the Riviera"

The Riviera appeals to me a little more because it'd be easier and closer for us to take a day trip to the French Riviera, Nice, or even to Switzerland.

Anyone else have any ideas on locations? Transportation? Which airport to fly into? Accommodation types?

Thanks again all. Have a great night!
Old 03-10-08, 07:53 AM
Admin-Thanos

Any interest in taking a tour of the country? My wife and I did that for our honeymoon and it was absolutely amazing. You never stay very long in one city, but you see all the highlights the country has to offer (Rome, Florence, Tuscany wineries, Pisa, Lake Como, Verona, Venice, Assisi, Sorrento, Capri and Pompeii). If you've never been, I personally think it's the right way to go. The 2nd time you go back, you go to the places you liked in the sampling. I can tell you this, we never got bored and it was a 10 day trip. Combined with air fare I think we spent $5,000 for the both of us. We probably dropped another grand to $1500 in country on food, souvenirs and attractions.
Old 03-13-08, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hey VinVega!

Long time, no talk. How are ya? We were looking for something a little more laid back, and independent. We'll definitely look for a tour in the future, but not this time around.

What airport did you fly into? And if we go to the Italian Riviera, or the Amalfi Coast, could you recommend what Airport might be the best (cheapest) to land in?

Cheers!
Old 03-13-08, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Skip Rome.

Amalfi Coast & Toscana is the way to go.

Again, skip Rome.
Old 03-13-08, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by bwvanh114
Don't bother asking... there are no houses available in Tuscany.
Old 03-13-08, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Sominex
Hey VinVega!

Long time, no talk. How are ya? We were looking for something a little more laid back, and independent. We'll definitely look for a tour in the future, but not this time around.

What airport did you fly into? And if we go to the Italian Riviera, or the Amalfi Coast, could you recommend what Airport might be the best (cheapest) to land in?

Cheers!
If you go to the Amalfi Coast, use the Naples airport. If you choose the Italian Riviera, you can try either Milan or Genoa, depending on cost versus convenience. Genoa is closest to the coast and the road to the South of France, but Milan might be a little cheaper because it's a much bigger city, and is closer to both Switzerland and Lake Como if you want to visit those places. Be aware, too, that if you drive, the tolls on the autostrada are pretty high, as is the cost of gas and car rentals (not to mention beware of Italian drivers). That is the best way to see those areas, though, because the drives are spectacular, especially along the Amalfi Coast.
Old 03-13-08, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Rent a car and go for a drive!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpkarzx0-aY
Old 03-13-08, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Cinque Terra with a little bit of Florence and Venice mixed in. Use the trains.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.