Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Received a rejection letter from Police Dept.

Old 02-22-08, 08:36 PM
Suspended

Received a rejection letter from Police Dept.

Reason(s):
XX Employment History
XX Character Issues
XX Other (please specify) Content of "My Space" Account
Thoughts? Someone explain it to me like I'm a four-year-old, because the police don't have to explain it.

E

Last edited by DeltaSigChi4; 02-25-08 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-22-08, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Getting rejected for a MySpace account
Old 02-22-08, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Haven't you been scolded by the mods here a few times? That stuff follows you around.
Old 02-22-08, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I looked at your MySpace page for about five seconds and had it figured out. Do you really need it to be explained?
Old 02-22-08, 08:42 PM
Suspended

Haha. Thanks Rockmjd23.

E
Old 02-22-08, 08:43 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Brent L
I looked at your MySpace page for about five seconds and had it figured out. Do you really need it to be explained?
Yes. Are only people who don't read books and watch television allowed in the police force???

E
Old 02-22-08, 08:43 PM
Premium Member

Probably causing a ruckess in a CompUSA store.

Rejection for what?
Old 02-22-08, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How did they know about your myspace page?
Old 02-22-08, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Brent L
Same here.
Old 02-22-08, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Most law enforcement background packets nowadays have a line for your Myspace/Facebook/Etc page.

I really didn't see anything on your page that should dismiss you out-of-hand. Your buddy saying something about "Jihad time" might have not gone over well.
Old 02-22-08, 08:50 PM
Suspended

The Cow: Rejection from the conditional offer of employment they had originally given me. I scored a 98 out of 100 from their oral board.

wishbon3: I think they ran a search on my name. I've never made it private because I never felt I had a reason, and still don't, because I find nothing inherently wrong with it. What's next? Rejection from employment opportunities for having voted for Al Gore? Or for checking out a Noam Chomsky book from the public library?

E
Old 02-22-08, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4

My MyS account is the following: http://www.myspace.com/hp1

Thoughts? Someone explain it to me like I'm a four-year-old, because the police don't have to explain it.

E
Ok - here you go. "This is baaaaaad. No!" (I don't have a 4 year old but I imagine it's what I would say).

Not something you want to put on your myspace page if you want the police to hire you.... I mean - I would assume that most police officers are conservative politically, probably support the war, the president, etc... They don't want to hire a someone who calls the President of the United States an "Emperor" and a "sad sad fuck":

"Enemies of the State
Emperor George Walker Bush (R) - Sent us to die for nothing. Exclaimed "bring 'em on" when asked about the insurgency slaughtering our brave young. Truly a sad sad fuck.

V.P. Dick Cheney (R) - Five (5) deferments during the Vietnam War yet now behaves in a chickenhawk manner. Easy to become a big fan of war now when your former corporation can double it's stock with their no-bid contracts, eh?

Rep. Don Young (R) - "I stuffed [the bill] like a turkey," on earmarking the federal highway and mass transit bill with Alaska's own Golden Gate-sized bridge to Gravina Island (pop. 50). Wasted taxpayer money is always something to celebrate I suppose. Hey - how about more taxcuts for the richest of the rich (in W's own words, his "base")?"
Old 02-22-08, 08:58 PM
Cool New Member

What's next? Rejection from employment opportunities for having voted for Al Gore? Or for checking out a Noam Chomsky book from the public library?
In a word, yes. Soldiers, and by extension LEOs (many of whom were or idolize soldiers), are supposed to eat war and crap patriotism. Your myspace page flies in the face of that. Kudos to you for being a free-thinker and not a mindless jarhead. You are probably better off not joining an organization that so quickly judges and condemns independent thought.
Old 02-22-08, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I scored a 98 out of 100 from their oral board.

E
That's what she said!

I can't help but laugh that they flagged you for myspace content. That simply rules. Also - what were your character issues that they mentioned, that is likely a bigger deal than your myspace. If I had a myspace account I'd add you as a friend if only to post a FAIL picture there.
Old 02-22-08, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess its really time for you to go Jihad!

BTW >>>> That's just a joke! All I need to see on the news now is something along the lines of, "Internet told me to kill - Thanx DVDtalk!''
Old 02-22-08, 09:02 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Liver&Onions
Also - what were your character issues that they mentioned, that is likely a bigger deal than your myspace.
The myspace page is a catalog of perceived "character issues".
Old 02-22-08, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

took me 2 seconds on that myspace page... i know why they rejected you...

a new record?...

many many employers search the web for you... on all the social networking sites... it's standard operating procedure... there are companies that outsource the lookups that are quite effective...

including posts on forums and etc...
Old 02-22-08, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Edit--oops, I see now that you meant they gave you those as reasons. That's hilarious that they looked at your myspace, and by hilarious I mean pretty fucking scary. All those things they couldn't ask about or consider in an interview were there for them to read and consider. Too bad your interviewer didn't like your opinions.

Last edited by tasha99; 02-22-08 at 09:09 PM.
Old 02-22-08, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The myspace page is a red flag regardless of what the political leanings of the department may be.
Old 02-22-08, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You know, you might ask for clarification of the Myspace issues. Not hiring you because of your political views would be very illegal.
Old 02-22-08, 09:13 PM
Premium Member

If they looked up your user name and if you do indeed use it on other forums, the first page of google hits has you banned in quite a few forums.

That in itself would not be a reason. But it would add something else for them to consider. I would hope they drilled down, and just didn't look at the superficial, but who knows.
Old 02-22-08, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by antennaball
Most law enforcement background packets nowadays have a line for your Myspace/Facebook/Etc page.
We're deciding who our public servants are based on...MySpace now?

Up 'til that, I thought it was the CompUSA thing too.
Old 02-22-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here's a solution- List under "activities" on you myspace profile that your love "tazing skateboarders in your spare time". You'll be hired on in no time!
Old 02-22-08, 09:19 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
Haven't you been scolded by the mods here a few times? That stuff follows you around.
Word!

Seriously though, the fact that the MySpace page was anti war and anti administration is not a good sign for you. Most of the cops I know are Conservative and won't take too kindly to you ripping on the CIC (even if he deserves it).
Old 02-22-08, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Rogue588
We're deciding who our public servants are based on...MySpace now?
Of course not entirely that, but it's really a valuable tool. You can see if someone associates with, for example, potheads. Or, if every picture in the photo album shows you with a drink in your hand, it's definitely a red flag. Character counts, particularly when it's on display for everyone to see.

That being said, I'd say 75% of the guys and girls in my department are on Myspace. We have the blessing of the admin to have 'em as long as we keep what we do off the page and hold down the references to heavy drinking/partying.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.