Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Pet Peeve - Strollers

Old 02-22-08, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Pet Peeve - Strollers

I just got back from Disneyworld in Florida and like usual it was mostly enjoyble. My daughters' dance school performed at the Galaxy Palace Theater in Magic Kingdom and did a great job.

Those f'in strollers are a pimple on the ass of society. Hey, I had 2 kids and know that carrying little kids for hours can be back breaking. But the stroller should win an award for the invention that seems like it should be great but causes just as many problems as it solves. When you get a huge crowd, trying to maneuver those things through traffic is a pain. I can't tell you how many times people rammed me or just suddenly stopped so they could look and see what the kid was doing. Magic Kingdom was the worst, I had to get out of there. During the parade, people were about 47 deep, moving was next to impossible. Here comes a group with those big double wide strollers, excuse me, excuse me. There was literally no where to move for people without strollers. I asked the woman if she was kidding.

A friend of mine does some part time bus driving so he can get a free admission to the park. He tells me people are constantly yelling at him when he tells them they have to fold up the strollers on the bus. It's a DOT regulation, you can't leave a kid in a moving projectile even if the brakes are locked. Too bad lady, the bus won't move until you fold that thing up. Not to mention buses get crowded and you want to take up the place of 2 or 3 more people with your stroller.

When our kids were little we tried the stroller thing a few times. Half the time you ended up carrying the kid and pushing the video camera in the stroller. Or the kid is pushing his own empty stroller. We quickly decided where ever we go the kids need to do there won walking and when they get tired we leave. When we went to Disney we waited until the kids were 3 and 5. They mostly walked and then we went back to the hotel in the afternoon for nap and started again after dinner.

I am well aware that there are times when a stroller is necessary. There are people with more kids than arms or possibly back problems. They certainly serve a purpose at times but like many tools they can be overused. Not to mention they are a revenue source for the park. Something has to pay for all that real estate taken up for stroller parking at all the rides.

Whew, I feel better
Old 02-22-08, 09:15 AM

You know whats even worse than the g-damn stollers at Disney World?

The f-n' rascal scooters that everybody with an ingrown toe-nail or corn seems to feel the need to rent for their lazy asses to manuever around the parks.

On my last visit, somebody ran over my foot with one and didn't bother to slow down and say "sorry". There is no way they didn't notice they did it either as they rolled over my whole foot, not just my toes. The cart went up and down a good 3".
Old 02-22-08, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is an alternative to tired children other than a stroller.

We have an 8 month old and haven't touched the stroller since October, when he was 4 months old. We used it maybe 3 times for something other than a stroll around the neighborhood and found it to be cumbersome.

This is my favorite way to carry my baby and safeguard the shins of those around me at the mall:

Last edited by PrincessT; 02-22-08 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-22-08, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Those f'in strollers are a pimple on the ass of society.
Sorry, rude and obnoxious shithead peope are the pimple on the ass of society today. It does not matter if these people have a stroller or not. Sometimes they are the people in the crowd blocking the way to start with.

Hey, I had 2 kids and know that carrying little kids for hours can be back breaking. But the stroller should win an award for the invention that seems like it should be great but causes just as many problems as it solves. When you get a huge crowd, trying to maneuver those things through traffic is a pain.
How long ago did you have two kids? I am betting it was easier back then as things were less crowded. The bigger problem is still rude ass people of all types in a crowded area.

I can't tell you how many times people rammed me or just suddenly stopped so they could look and see what the kid was doing. Magic Kingdom was the worst, I had to get out of there. During the parade, people were about 47 deep, moving was next to impossible. Here comes a group with those big double wide strollers, excuse me, excuse me. There was literally no where to move for people without strollers. I asked the woman if she was kidding.
Yep, sounds like Disney. Rude ass people everywhere with the me first and only me attitude.

A friend of mine does some part time bus driving so he can get a free admission to the park. He tells me people are constantly yelling at him when he tells them they have to fold up the strollers on the bus. It's a DOT regulation, you can't leave a kid in a moving projectile even if the brakes are locked. Too bad lady, the bus won't move until you fold that thing up. Not to mention buses get crowded and you want to take up the place of 2 or 3 more people with your stroller.
NO excuse here, the strollers should be folded up without question. Again, just more stupid rude people that happen to have a stroller and not know how to act in public.

I am well aware that there are times when a stroller is necessary. There are people with more kids than arms or possibly back problems. They certainly serve a purpose at times but like many tools they can be overused. Not to mention they are a revenue source for the park. Something has to pay for all that real estate taken up for stroller parking at all the rides.

Whew, I feel better
I agree, we don't use a stroller all the time, only when needed and I prefer the smaller fold up type you can buy at walmart for $20 as opposed to the giant theme park carts. We managed Disney with the fold up one and never had an issue, the stroller doesn't take up too much more room than another adult walling.

The bigger problem is rude ass people, some have strollers, some don't, removing strollers isn't going to fix the people.
Old 02-22-08, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

they should ban people
Old 02-22-08, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I hate strollers too. In any crowded environment. People expect everyone to leap out of their way when they come barging through.
Old 02-22-08, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hate the giant ones that attach to the backs of bikes, they can be used as "normal" strollers. They're just giant battering rams. The best are when the kids are walking and the parents use them to haul shit or force people outta their way.
Old 02-22-08, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MartinBlank

Damn, that things like the Bentley of strollers!
Old 02-22-08, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, people who go to Disneyworld should leave their kids at home with a babysitter.
Old 02-22-08, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by milwaukee_mike

The f-n' rascal scooters that everybody with an ingrown toe-nail or corn seems to feel the need to rent for their lazy asses to manuever around the parks.

On my last visit, somebody ran over my foot with one and didn't bother to slow down and say "sorry". There is no way they didn't notice they did it either as they rolled over my whole foot, not just my toes. The cart went up and down a good 3".
There's also a flip side to that. Last time I was there my mom needed one of those (she has two bad knees) and when she was on it, it was like she was invisible to people. I was amazed at how many jerks would dart out in front of her or cut her off completely. What are people thinking? It was really disheartening. Humanity sucks sometimes.
Old 02-22-08, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Doug Heffernan
Yeah, people who go to Disneyworld should leave their kids at home with a babysitter.
Now you're talking!
Old 02-22-08, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

'Would you like to purchase some Disney Dollars Mr. Chapelle?

Nah, niggah - I cant buy booze and prostitutes with no Disney Dollar.'

QFT
Old 02-22-08, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My kids were born in '00 and '03, so we haven't been out of "stroller age" for too long. We had one of those big huge double strollers that we'd use in areas where there weren't many people (i.e. a walk in a bike path), but for anything like a city street or for something like Disney (which we haven't done with them yet), we would use an umbrella stroller:

They're little, they're light, and you can pick the kid up and fold up the stroller in about two seconds if you have to get on a bus or through a tight space.

These are also great if the kids want to walk-- you can just fold these things up and carry them, and it's no big deal. In many situations, those big, huge padded double strollers (or even big single strollers) can be more trouble than they're worth, for the parents pushing it and everybody else.

If people get pissed off about any strollers, regardless of size, than they either never had a kid or just hate kids, and that's fine if that's what you're into, but parents have to be able to move little kids around somehow, and I think umbrella strollers are the best option.
Old 02-22-08, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree that the ridiculous size of strollers is a problem these days, but it sounds to me like the OP's problem is rude people, not strollers per se.

Disney is notorious for rude people: everyone's paying a fortune to be there, everyone is trying to cram the entire park into four days, it's hot, ridiculously crowded, everything is overpriced, you need to walk miles every day, the kids are exhausted, etc. It's not a place conducive to relaxation. Also, it's a place for children primarily. If you're annoyed with packs of kids, try somewhere else.

One other thing: backpacks aren't a good option once the kid is over about 18 months, mostly because kids get restless and it's too hard to take them in and out of a backpack. With a stroller, you don't have that problem. Backpacks are great for younger kids and times when the kid doesn't really want to walk around: hiking, for example.

We stuck with one $20 umbrella stroller we bought five years ago. Both my kids are old enough to walk now, though.
Old 02-22-08, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My fiancee and I are constantly noticing this in Chicago. Those double-wide strollers are such an arrogant presumption. Those fuckers take up nearly the entire sidewalk.
Old 02-22-08, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So Jim & 4K, which one of you owns a Prius and hates SUVs? joking

I agree that people don't pay attention, as said before it's more the people and less the strollers. The strollers are simply a replacement for the shopping cart, vehicle, etc that they usually use to be rude to people.

In Disney's defense, isn't this winter break time? I understand your daughter had an event down there, but I wouldn't wish a school break period at Disney on my worst enemy and I LOVE ALL THINGS DISNEY! Additionally, Magic Kingdom was never really designed for that size of crowds which is why Epcot, Animal Kingdom and MGM are my parks of choice since they are.

I must now hang my head in shame as my first child is due in July and I plan on using a stroller at Disney in December. I will remember your thoughts on it and install a brush guard on the stroller to fend off other strollers.
Old 02-22-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid
My fiancee and I are constantly noticing this in Chicago. Those double-wide strollers are such an arrogant presumption. Those fuckers take up nearly the entire sidewalk.
If someone has young twins or something, and must go double-- this is the better option:

It doesn't take up the entire sidewalk, and it can actually fit through most doors (unlike many of those enormous double-wides). These don't corner worth a damn, and they're harder to maneuver in general, however.
Old 02-22-08, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I never understood why the double wide strollers existed after they came out with the pilot/RIO seating ones. The doubles don't go through standard doors, take up the whole sidewalk, have a high turning radius, on and on. The GIF/GIB ones even fold down into the same footprint as the single ones I think.
Old 02-22-08, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dave7393
These don't corner worth a damn, and they're harder to maneuver in general, however.

The back end starts to slip at the top of 5th gear eh?
Old 02-22-08, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jeeden
The back end starts to slip at the top of 5th gear eh?
You know it.
Old 02-22-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I hate those fuckers who roll their strollers onto the subway and block the doors. Then 50% of the time they'll ask someone to help them carry it up the fucking stairs.

Say what you will about hipsters, at least they usually carry their baby in a sling.
Old 02-22-08, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Who would have thought there would be issues with crowds of families with little children at Disney World. I mean, of all places!
Old 02-22-08, 02:10 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by True_Story1011
'Would you like to purchase some Disney Dollars Mr. Chapelle?

Nah, niggah - I cant buy booze and prostitutes with no Disney Dollar.'

QFT

Obviously Mr. Chapelle hasn't spent enough time in Orlando.
Old 02-22-08, 02:16 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by milwaukee_mike

Last summer I was walking with a crowd in a parking lot and went between two cars that were parked poorly... noses were about 18" apart, but the tails were about 36" apart. Some less than bright woman on one of those decided that she would follow the people between the cars.

This woman got her scooter almost to the cars side mirrors before she realized that there might be a problem. At that point she stopped, considered her situation, then backed up a foot or so - to get a running start going foward again. She tried to use the scooter as a wedge to get between the cars. Only after inflicting much damage to someone's Mercedes did she give up on going forward. At that point, she was stuck though and couldn't back up either!
Old 02-22-08, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Dead
Last summer I was walking with a crowd in a parking lot and went between two cars that were parked poorly... noses were about 18" apart, but the tails were about 36" apart. Some less than bright woman on one of those decided that she would follow the people between the cars.

This woman got her scooter almost to the cars side mirrors before she realized that there might be a problem. At that point she stopped, considered her situation, then backed up a foot or so - to get a running start going foward again. She tried to use the scooter as a wedge to get between the cars. Only after inflicting much damage to someone's Mercedes did she give up on going forward. At that point, she was stuck though and couldn't back up either!
Ha, what a bitch, I hope whoever saw it made her leave info, or someway to have the car owner get a hold of her, so she would have to pay it. That, or hopefully she stayed stuck, and no one helped her.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.