Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

School Me on Air Travel Delays

Old 02-21-08, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

School Me on Air Travel Delays

Well sure enough mother nature is about to unleash on the northeast just as my lady and two friends are flying out of Boston.

We are all non-frequent flyers and are curious what implications a delay will have on our final destination. I'm curious if anyone could shed some light on the possibilities for me, and/or what we should or can do.

Our flight leaves Boston at 6:18am this Saturday morning to Memphis where we catch a connected flight to San Juan, PR. There is only like 30 minutes layover here, so a delay in Boston means a missed flight in TN. And seemingly this weather won't be done by then.

So, if we miss the 2nd flight due to a delay are we screwed and stuck? Or does the airline reroute us or change the itinerary get us to our final destination? Will we have to pay more or anything?

Very frustrating.....such an aviation newb.

We built in an extra day prior to our cruise departure Sunday night just in case this happens, but now that it might I'm not sure what to expect.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-21-08, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you miss your flight to San Juan because your flight from Boston was late, you'll be placed on a later flight. Won't be charged. Or at least that's what's happened to me in the past.

(out of San Juan? RCCL Adventure of the Seas or Serenade?)
Old 02-21-08, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by wildcatlh
If you miss your flight to San Juan because your flight from Boston was late, you'll be placed on a later flight. Won't be charged. Or at least that's what's happened to me in the past.

(out of San Juan? RCCL Adventure of the Seas or Serenade?)
I can live with a later flight, so long as its the same day.....

carnival destiny is our ship really enjoyed RCCL last year, but liked this itinerary a lot.

thanks for your reply.
Old 02-21-08, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The airlines will do their best to get you to your destination. But they only have so many airplanes and only so much space on the ground. They only fly if its safe, and if safe means hours of delays to deice airplanes and wait for weather to move out, then that's how it has to be. It sucks but it's just part of aviation.

Looking at the forecast, the worst of the storm will be Friday evening, with the snow becoming light overnight and into the early morning. By 7:00 AM on Saturday, it begins reducing to a 50% chance of light snow. If you were leaving Friday evening, you'd be in trouble, but I think y'all will be just fine for a Saturday morning flight.
Old 02-21-08, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you're on a non-stop flight (i.e. the plane that takes you from Boston to Memphis is the same one that takes you from Memphis to Puerto Rico), you will obviously be fine.

If you have to change planes, a half hour is cutting it close even if there are no delays. But as others have said, if a delay causes you to miss your flight, the airline will try to put you on the next flight to your destination (at no additional charge to you).
Old 02-21-08, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As a frequent traveler I can offer these suggestions;

Be polite and nice as possible. You are at their total mercy. Be nice smile. Calmly explain you are on a once in a life time trip. Don't whine. But ask if there is anything that can be done.
If there are long lines to talk to an agent, don't hesitate to call the airline directly and by your cell. Explain NICELY that you missed your connection due to weather and what is the next flight.
If you think you might have an issue, print out the flight schedule for the rest of the day and keep it with you. Also print out other airlines schedules to keep with you.
Did I mention to be nice?
Keep in mind that if the delay is by weather the airline owes you nothing. They will re-book you if available at no extra cost, but they don't owe you any extras like upgrades, compensation, or if the next flight is in the morning they will no pay for your hotel, meals, etc.
That is one of the advantages of booking air thru the cruise like they will "guarantee" you will not miss the cruise.
Old 02-22-08, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by shaun3000
The airlines will do their best to get you to your destination. But they only have so many airplanes and only so much space on the ground. They only fly if its safe, and if safe means hours of delays to deice airplanes and wait for weather to move out, then that's how it has to be. It sucks but it's just part of aviation.

Looking at the forecast, the worst of the storm will be Friday evening, with the snow becoming light overnight and into the early morning. By 7:00 AM on Saturday, it begins reducing to a 50% chance of light snow. If you were leaving Friday evening, you'd be in trouble, but I think y'all will be just fine for a Saturday morning flight.
I sure hope that you are right!! Thanks so much!
Old 02-22-08, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct

Be polite and nice as possible. You are at their total mercy. Be nice smile. Calmly explain you are on a once in a life time trip. Don't whine. But ask if there is anything that can be done.
If there are long lines to talk to an agent, don't hesitate to call the airline directly and by your cell. Explain NICELY that you missed your connection due to weather and what is the next flight.
If you think you might have an issue, print out the flight schedule for the rest of the day and keep it with you. Also print out other airlines schedules to keep with you.
Keep in mind that if the delay is by weather the airline owes you nothing. They will re-book you if available at no extra cost, but they don't owe you any extras like upgrades, compensation, or if the next flight is in the morning they will no pay for your hotel, meals, etc.
That is one of the advantages of booking air thru the cruise like they will "guarantee" you will not miss the cruise.

All advice noted, thanks very much this is just the kind of information that could help me.
Old 02-22-08, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

your chances of having lost check in luggage skyrocket
Old 02-22-08, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Although your a bit out of luck if you haven't booked air travel through the cruise, you want to keep the number of the cruise line (RCCL calls it their "update line") handy. This line usually tells you if they are changing the cruise departure time because of hurricane's etc, but it also allows you to get to their customer service. You would want to inform the cruise that your going to be on a different flight, late, etc. Especially if you have transfers through the cruise. This way they MAY have mercy on you if your late.

Even though your on your own if your air is not through the cruise line, they have helds ships in the past because a large number of people were going to be late. Make sure your on that list so that if it's a "we need to wait 5 minutes more for one more set of passengers and we already have been waiting on hundreds" situation they might wait.
Old 02-22-08, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So, whenever you travel, pack a lunch and change of clothes in your carry on.
Old 02-22-08, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep, I have all the essentials in the carry on for sure, and although we didn't book flights through the cruise the boat doesn't depart out of PR till sunday night at 10pm because all of the islands are so close together.

the forecast continues to improve for tomorrow am so I'm hopeful all will go well.
Old 02-22-08, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is why I never make vacation plans for February. Too unpredictable.
Old 02-22-08, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
This is why I never make vacation plans for February. Too unpredictable.

indeed it is a bit scary, however my lady is a teacher and this is when she can go.
Old 02-22-08, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If your flight from boston does look to be late, it sometimes helps to call the airline rebooking number yourself, rather than waiting in line at the counter. Reason being you want to confirm a seat on the next available flight before everyone else does.
Old 02-22-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct

Actually I have been in situations where being a total dick got you what you wanted faster than the people that were nice.
Old 02-22-08, 06:40 PM
Banned

Hey db27, are you going to be able to leave tommorow? I read that most flights from Boston to PR were cancelled because of the snowstorm.
Old 03-06-08, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dx23
Hey db27, are you going to be able to leave tommorow? I read that most flights from Boston to PR were cancelled because of the snowstorm.

sure enough we got out. Our flight was cancelled initially and they rebooked us for sunday, but that wouldn't have worked so we got a flight from boston to philly, then to san juan and all was well!!! I found that being really nice to them worked fantastically, they even commented on how it was nice to deal with someone like me because often everyone is a dink.

so thanks to you and those that helped in this thread!! woot!
Old 03-06-08, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart
Actually I have been in situations where being a total dick got you what you wanted faster than the people that were nice.
Very unusual. Heck, I just got back from traveling and it appeared two of us missed our flight because security was so freaking long. The person in front of me was yelling and screaming - they called security and they were gone for what I'm sure was a nice little talk (and sure you can sue or whatever, but they certainly didn't get on a flight any time soon).

I was nice and explained I could take a later flight and could they explain my options. At first I they said I'd have to pay a $100 extra since I missed my flight, but I calmly explained I was at the airport 2 hours ahead and that their own computers were down which was causing an unpredictable check in delay and security was backed it. She looked at me and said "yea, I see some bad weather too, I'll waive the fee". I was on a flight barely an hour later.

I can honestly say in all my traveling (and I do it a lot), I have never seen a yeller get their way very quickly, if at all.
Old 03-06-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by db27
sure enough we got out. Our flight was cancelled initially and they rebooked us for sunday, but that wouldn't have worked so we got a flight from boston to philly, then to san juan and all was well!!! I found that being really nice to them worked fantastically, they even commented on how it was nice to deal with someone like me because often everyone is a dink.

so thanks to you and those that helped in this thread!! woot!
Did you complete your cruise yet? Need review....please!!!