Reload this Page >

Oregon Drivers: Bicycles now get Special Bike Box for being retarded

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-21-08, 09:08 PM
Suspended

http://bikeportland.org/2008/02/12/p...ogan-graphics/

My office was notified today. Oh yay. Now we are actually giving up heavily congested traffic lanes to bicyclists. I'm sure that'll work and make things safer.

Eventually, Portland will ban cars from Portland roads. Believe it or not, this banning of roads has been discussed for several areas in Portland. And guess what. You won't be able to vote on it. The City That Thinks It Works, will just come in, re-do the damn road, and that's that.

Here's a question to The Portland Bicycle and Popsicle Government.

What happens when a car doesn't see a stop light and plows into a group of kids who are in the "Bike Box" in front of it? What was that? Hmmm?

Not only are we making bicyclists feel safer when they are not, but we're assuming motorists are going to suddenly stop going through red lights. That won't happen, either.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 02-21-08 at 09:16 PM.
Old 02-21-08, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If they tried that in Los Angeles, there would be a lot of dead bicyclists.
Old 02-21-08, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I like it....screw all you cagers!
Old 02-21-08, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No right on red in Oregon? This is the same state where you can't pump your won gas, right?

I say it's only fair that huge chunks of roadway be set aside for bicycles. Every time they fill up at the pump they're paying taxes to help with the upkeep of the roads they use, just like the rest of us.

I hate bicyclists.
Old 02-21-08, 09:27 PM
Suspended

Well, it's only going to be implemented on 8 or 10 roads. Or so I hear. Depending on how many two-wheeled free spirits get run over, more will be in place. In any case, preventing a car from doing a right turn on a red is just ridiculous (except for the common sense traffic laws). I can already see bicyclists in their special box, listening to their iPod music, not even paying attention to the light (people in cars do this anyway, but this isn't going help traffic any).
Old 02-21-08, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like bicyclists, but this is silly.

Good things about bicycles:

They don't take up as much space, or block my view like SUV's
I don't have to wait in line behind them at the gas station.
They aren't polluting my air (any more than people do by just existing)
The less gas other people use, the less mine will cost.

I don't understand the hate for cyclists.

Now, hate for silly laws designed to make people who don't want to ride a bike ride a bike, I understand.
Old 02-21-08, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Personally I feel the cyclists getting run over are wastes of space in the first place since they're too ignorant to even be slightly alert about their surroundings (one of these morans got run over by a dump truck because they tried to zoom by it on the right when it was turning; then all the pro-bike douches said they shouldn't have to worry about getting hit: it's the drivers problem)

I know when I walk, I have certain rights over cars, but I'm damned sure I check my surroundings before putting myself in the possible path of a driver.

And Portland would be wise to never make the mistake of electing the dipshit responsible for all this bike hooey to another public office.

Last edited by Boba Fett; 02-21-08 at 10:08 PM.
Old 02-21-08, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In MT bikes have to obey all traffic rules as if they were cars. But they don't. That's why I hate them.
Old 02-21-08, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
In MT bikes have to obey all traffic rules as if they were cars. But they don't. That's why I hate them.
It's the same way in the STATE of Oregon; however Portland likes to make up garbage that pisses people off and conflicts with State law.

I also might add, I recall reading someone did a survey of Portland area bikers (mostly the idiots who fly around the busy downtown streets) and a lot of them rode bikes because they had suspended driver's licenses.

Denis Leary said it best, "If you want to ride a bike, move to China."
Old 02-21-08, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh dear God. This is so going to suck.
Old 02-21-08, 11:07 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
LOL @ the thread title!
Old 02-21-08, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If it keeps the bikes off the sidewalks, I'm all for it!
Old 02-22-08, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
...What happens when a car doesn't see a stop light and plows into a group of kids who are in the "Bike Box" in front of it? What was that? Hmmm?

Not only are we making bicyclists feel safer when they are not, but we're assuming motorists are going to suddenly stop going through red lights. That won't happen, either.
Of course, the behavior you're describing would make the motorists "retarded", no?

I agree that the Bike Box is silly, but let's put the label where it belongs.
Old 02-22-08, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://bikeportland.org/2008/02/12/p...ogan-graphics/

My office was notified today. Oh yay. Now we are actually giving up heavily congested traffic lanes to bicyclists. I'm sure that'll work and make things safer.

Eventually, Portland will ban cars from Portland roads. Believe it or not, this banning of roads has been discussed for several areas in Portland. And guess what. You won't be able to vote on it. The City That Thinks It Works, will just come in, re-do the damn road, and that's that.

Here's a question to The Portland Bicycle and Popsicle Government.

What happens when a car doesn't see a stop light and plows into a group of kids who are in the "Bike Box" in front of it? What was that? Hmmm?

The thread title alone makes you seem like an ass.
Old 02-22-08, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Personally I feel the cyclists getting run over are wastes of space in the first place since they're too ignorant to even be slightly alert about their surroundings
Very classy statement. Sure there are some blockheaded cyclists out there, but there are as many ignorant drivers who are too busy yapping on their cells than paying attention...

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Denis Leary said it best, "If you want to ride a bike, move to China."
Is this one of those bits he swiped from Bill Hicks?
Old 02-22-08, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The best way to revamp traffic laws in this country: make it so that the bigger object is automatically at fault for hitting the smaller object, no matter what. I am sick and tired of pedestrians getting plowed down by both motor vehicles and bicycles, and I'm equally as sick of bicycles getting plowed down by motor vehicles, with no charges being filed.

If you want to drive a huge piece of metal on a city street, go right ahead, but this "car first" mentality has got to be reined in. The only reason most people think streets=cars is because it was controlled that way through the law.

Last edited by Tracer Bullet; 02-22-08 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-22-08, 09:09 AM

The best way to revamp traffic laws in this country: make it so that the bigger object is automatically at fault for hitting the smaller object, no matter what.
What a silly idea especially considering the way some bicyclists think they can weave in and out of traffic w/o a concern, or people cut off buses and trucks because they just have to make that turn or get in front of the larger vehicle. With the law protecting their stupid actions aren't you just creating a similar problem to the one you are trying to solve?
Old 02-22-08, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Let the idiots get killed off. It's called natural selection.

Sure, I may have the right of way as a pedestrian, but I am not going to just assume some SUV driver sees me, and will be able to stop for me.

I had to brake sharply for two women on bikes that crossed against the light in front of me yesterday. If I had hit them, it would have been THEIR FAULT. Same as if a car ran the light. They were not paying attention. One of them nearly ran into the side of my car.

So, that's another plus for cycling! Riding bikes weeds out idiots faster, and with fewer hospital bills!
Old 02-22-08, 09:21 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Meglos
The thread title alone makes you seem like an ass.
I've occasionally appeared as an ass to some people on this forum.

But at least I don't have my head up it.

There are ways to deal with cyclists on the road. This isn't one of them.

My solution?

Require a bicyclist to have a license, just like normal car people do. In addition, require bicyclists to carry insurance. Just like normal car people do.

If you're on the road, you need to abide by the same rules and participate in them as well.
Old 02-22-08, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nemein
What a silly idea especially considering the way some bicyclists think they can weave in and out of traffic w/o a concern, or people cut off buses and trucks because they just have to make that turn or get in front of the larger vehicle. With the law protecting their stupid actions aren't you just creating a similar problem to the one you are trying to solve?
The problem isn't with any one type of traffic. The problem is how the law deals with traffic. Right now, pretty much everyone drives like it doesn't matter if they hit something nonconforming, which it actually doesn't. It is very rare for a driver to be charged if they hit a bicycle or pedestrian, and it is equally rare for a bicyclist to be charged if they hit a pedestrian.

Believe it or not, the vast majority of accidents between motor vehicles and cars are NOT caused by bicycles weaving in and out of traffic, because most bicyclists rationally accept that that is dangerous behavior.

Also, in such a system as I described, there would be separate lanes for motor vehicles and for bicyclists, and penalties in place for violators.
Old 02-22-08, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've occasionally appeared as an ass to some people on this forum.

But at least I don't have my head up it.

There are ways to deal with cyclists on the road. This isn't one of them.

My solution?

Require a bicyclist to have a license, just like normal car people do. In addition, require bicyclists to carry insurance. Just like normal car people do.

If you're on the road, you need to abide by the same rules and participate in them as well.

Why stop there, why not walking licenses and even a breathing tax?
Old 02-22-08, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When I come to a red light or stop sign and see a bicyclist in my mirror passing a bunch of stopped cars I intentionally move my vehicle as far over as possible so my wheels are touching the curb and the bicycle can't pass.
Old 02-22-08, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
The best way to revamp traffic laws in this country: make it so that the bigger object is automatically at fault for hitting the smaller object, no matter what. I am sick and tired of pedestrians getting plowed down by both motor vehicles and bicycles, and I'm equally as sick of bicycles getting plowed down by motor vehicles, with no charges being filed.

If you want to drive a huge piece of metal on a city street, go right ahead, but this "car first" mentality has got to be reined in. The only reason most people think streets=cars is because it was controlled that way through the law.
Spoken like someone who can't afford to own a car in the city he lives in.
Old 02-22-08, 09:38 AM

Believe it or not, the vast majority of accidents between motor vehicles and cars are NOT caused by bicycles weaving in and out of traffic, because most bicyclists rationally accept that that is dangerous behavior.
I didn't say that it was. I just think any law/system that is setup to automatically assume a specific person is at fault is going to create more problems than it solves.

Also, in such a system as I described, there would be separate lanes for motor vehicles and for bicyclists, and penalties in place for violators.
You didn't mention that part
Old 02-22-08, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In all my life I have NEVER, and I'm not exaggerating, EVER seen a bicyclist stop at a red light and wait for the green. Or a stop sign. Or use hand signals. Never.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.