Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

funeral: work excuse how does it work

Old 02-21-08, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

funeral: work excuse how does it work

my step grandmother (step dad's mother) died today and the funeral is probably Saturday and of course we're supposed to work but I've never had to miss work for a funeral so I don't know what to say to my boss to get the absence excused
Old 02-21-08, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Does your work have a bereavement policy? I believe most places give you 3 days off. It also might depend on how close the relative is.
Old 02-21-08, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Does your work have a bereavement policy? I believe most places give you 3 days off. It also might depend on how close the relative is.
yeah 2 days I think
Old 02-21-08, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Step-Grandmother is on the cusp of most "immediate family" policies, but I would just approach your boss and tell them you have a funeral to attend. I doubt they will challenge it, but you may need to use a sick day.
Old 02-21-08, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Since your work seems to have a policy in place, just explain that your step grandmother passed. Depending on how things work at your job, you might just call in. When my dad mom passed, I went into work to tell my supervisor and she said "What are you doing here. Get out of here and take care of yourself". They will need some proof of her passing, though. All they had me bring in was the little funeral service program they hand out at the church.
Old 02-21-08, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

probably can't use sick (legitamately) for funerals. Probaby either berevement or vacation. A nice boss may let you use sick time.

I would leave out the 'step' when asking for the time off if you plan to use berevement in case there are any specifics about how close they are.
Old 02-21-08, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was thinking sick, since it is short notice, and vacation typically needs prior approval. Maybe personal day would be a better term.

Also, leaving out the step may help, but then if you need time off for your grandmother in the future, you may have problems.
Old 02-21-08, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Holy crap, where do you people work? All I ever have to do is email my scheduler, tell them what's up, and all is taken care of. If anyone ever told me they need proof that my family member really died, I imagine I'd probably come unglued.
Old 02-21-08, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My step-grandfather passed away and I was granted 1 day bereavement.
My grandfather passed away and I was given 7 days bereavement.
Old 02-21-08, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Sorry to hear of your loss! I hope your boss is not this guy:

Old 02-21-08, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shaun3000
Holy crap, where do you people work? All I ever have to do is email my scheduler, tell them what's up, and all is taken care of. If anyone ever told me they need proof that my family member really died, I imagine I'd probably come unglued.
Yeah, that happened to me at a job years ago. I took a couple days off when my grandmother passed and the supervisor said I needed to bring in an obituary or funeral program. I got mad and quit on the spot. Of course, I was a teenager at the time and now realize that the death of a loved one excuse is heavily abused.
Old 02-21-08, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I always use sick time for funerals
Old 02-21-08, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Since your work seems to have a policy in place, just explain that your step grandmother passed. Depending on how things work at your job, you might just call in. When my dad mom passed, I went into work to tell my supervisor and she said "What are you doing here. Get out of here and take care of yourself". They will need some proof of her passing, though. All they had me bring in was the little funeral service program they hand out at the church.

At my wife's grandfather's funeral a few years back, I just told my boss I needed to go to the funeral and I got a couple days bereavement. While I was there, I saw several people having the funeral director actually sign some kind of note for them, I suppose since they were more distant relatives or friends of the family.
Old 02-21-08, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Several years ago, while at a previous job, my step-grandmother passed away. The funeral was out-of-state. I told my employer (I had been there a couple of years and had a near-flawless attendance record) and the attitude was to take the days you need. I remember 'rushing' back a bit, missing 2 or 3 days at the most. Later on, I discovered a company policy book where it outlined how much time employees receive under different circumstances - found out I could have had up to 5 days off.

Wonder if a call to your human resources dept (anonymously if you wish) would provide the straight answer.
Old 02-21-08, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dante: You hate people!
Randal: But I love gatherings. Isn't it ironic?
Old 02-21-08, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Why can't you just ask your boss about it?
Old 02-22-08, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by shaun3000

The situation arises not from you, but from others taking advantage of the situation and that is why a straight policy is in place. So the slacker idiots don't go to a funeral every Monday or Friday.
Old 02-22-08, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

if your job needs proof, send them pics
Old 02-22-08, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We get 5 days of bereavement leave per year.
Old 02-22-08, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy
if your job needs proof, send them pics

Yeah, take a picture of the corpse! pfft...
Old 02-22-08, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

My company policy allows for steps and inlaw deaths. When my wifes grandmother passed away I got 4 days.
Old 02-22-08, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd just tell my boss my Grandma died, and that'd be it. They wouldn't grill me on the details.
Old 02-22-08, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you're George Costanza, you'll need a copy of the death certificate.