Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

How's your luck in finding a relatively decent & clean hotel or motel room?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-21-08, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The land owner is finally 'thinking' seriously about getting around to repairing the 14 weather and age rotted disastrously dangerous wooden stairs that lead to our apartment and we're going to need to find a hotel or motel to stay in while the repairs are being done.

He's been putting it off because he simply doesn't want to pay for our stay and he's doing everything (including lying) to try to put it off even further.

We did this once before when he had the place tented to exterminate termites, and we checked out a good dozen different hotels & motels in our area, and let me tell ya, they were all so utterly run down, and tacky, and ugly, and smelly, I couldn't think of actually laying down my lily white hiney on those sheets without full bedtime armour and or combat regailya! We almost gave up, that is, until (in a last ditch offer) we went to the World Famous 'Roosevelt Hotel' up there on Hollywood Boulevard, and asked for the cheapest room possible because First: We weren't tourists, Second: Or on vacation, and Thirdly: We simply needed a basic, bare-bones room for a couple days while our land owner did some repairs.

They offered us what they said was the cheapest room they had (it was something like $100 a night I believe) right next to the elevator on the backside of the building. I was so happy to finally find a nice clean place to lay our heads, I said without hesitation, 'Okay!'

(...and they weren't lying about the elevator either, because we heard that damn thing every few minutes, but it was still a very nice room, with a great HUGE walk-in shower that could easily accommodate 20 people! It was an all around really beautiful place to stay, especially since they did a Total, and nothing less than Holy Remodeling a few years back.)

Our first night was on a Tuesday, so I raided the Best Buy down the street that day and loaded up on all sorts of new releases (including but not limited to: 'Dragnet' Season One and 'The Partridge Family'), so we would have a lot of neat new stuff to watch on one of our portable DVD players right there on my belly in our bed!

Anyway, we stayed a total of '2' days and he of course b****** about the cost. I mean, we paid for the Valet and all the room service charges. It wasn't like we were trying to rip him off or gouge him in any way. The truth is, there just isn't any nice hotels or motels that are clean and nice unless you wanna pay an arm & a leg.

He recently brought up something he said he got 'hip' to, and that was that he only has to pay a pro-rated daily rate of our rent to reimburse us for our stay. We called the renters board of enquiry (or whatever the place is called), and the woman I spoke to said that there is no pro-rated daily rate rule for reimbursement. Maybe someone out there has different information and can shed some light on my reimbursement darkness.

We'd GLADLY stay at one of the Disneyland Hotels, but that's like 30+ miles...one way!

Anyway, at this point...I'd say it's back to the Roosevelt!

But how about You?

What kinda luck do you have when it comes down to finding a nice & clean hotel or motel to stay in for a few days?

-Pablo

Last edited by The Edit King; 02-21-08 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-21-08, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You get what you pay for. The more you pay, the better your accomodations, generally.
Old 02-21-08, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've had good luck with Super 8, but I don't know if there are any in LA.
Old 02-21-08, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Be very weary if they rent rooms 'by the hour'
Old 02-21-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Can't say I've ever had any cleanliness complaints with Motel 6. Especially if you're on a budget.
Old 02-21-08, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vibiana
I've had good luck with Super 8, but I don't know if there are any in LA.
I don't know about LA, but we have few in OC.
Old 02-21-08, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't have any problem finding relatively decent and clean motel rooms. I haven't yet stepped on more than a couple of cockroaches when getting out of bed in the middle of the night.
Old 02-21-08, 05:14 PM

Motel 6 and Super 8 are the top of our list for relatively cheap hotels. Nothing fancy. Towels can be a bit thin sometimes. But generally everything is pretty clean and in decent shape.
Old 02-21-08, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There is a Motel 6 by the 101 and Hollywood Blvd, try them.
Old 02-21-08, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If I'm looking for cheap, I usually go with Days Inn or La Quinta. Mid-range, I prefer Holiday Inn. I've only really had two bad experiences with those 3 chains, and both those bad experiences were in border towns.
Old 02-21-08, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

try using priceline. you can pick the area (roughly), and the star rating. got some pretty decent prices, but the downside is you won't know exactly where you're staying until they accept your bid.
Old 02-22-08, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All I need a clean room, reasonably priced...
Old 02-22-08, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, Pablo, let me tell you: I am awesome at hotel finding, and I've been told by several people that I should be a travel agent. I think I get great deals because I'm obsessive about research on Internet travel boards and I know when to use a travel agent and when not to. I used to work for a cruiseline, so I have a very clear understanding that it isn't what you pay for--people pay a huge range for the same accommodations and there are often people in suites who paid less than people in standard rooms.

Sounds like this is all over for you, but if not, the first thing I would do is look at biddingfortravel.com and research 4 star and resort hotels in the area you want (not sure if I would end up bidding, but it's a place to start. Sadly, Priceline isn't nearly as discerning as the average person, so there's a some risk with 3 star hotels of getting a bad one.) Unless something is going on that's filling hotels, you can often get a good hotel for the same price as a crappy one if you're willing to bid and be flexible. Of course, explaining to your landlord that you want to be reimbursed for your stay the Hyatt might be hard, even if it was the same price as a stay at Motel 6.
Old 02-22-08, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow tasha! I'm going to definitely look into biddingfortravel.com!

(Thanks for taking time out to help me. )

Oh...and thanks everyone for your funny & serious suggestions and comments.

BUT DON'T STOP REPLYING FOLKS!

I wanna hear more stuff!
Old 02-22-08, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Home of the UF Gators and Nat'l Championships, Gainesville, FL
I have to agree with doing internet research. I have gotten some great rooms for under 100 bucks just by looking at reviews you can avoid the gross places
Old 02-22-08, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I usually do priceline but if that's not an option and I have to stay on a budget, then I'll usually look for a Best Western. They are usually fairly reasonable and are usually clean.