It is ridiculous what people get awarded for stupid things

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-21-08, 01:05 PM

Actor Sharif ordered to pay valet $318,190 over altercation

By Bob Pool, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
February 21, 2008
Will actor Omar Sharif pay up in dollars or euros?

That's what parking valet Juan Anderson is wondering after the film star was ordered to pay him $318,190 as a result of a 2005 altercation outside a Beverly Hills restaurant.

Sharif, best known for his roles in the movies "Lawrence of Arabia" and "Dr. Zhivago," allegedly punched Anderson in the face when the valet refused to accept a 20-euro note as payment for retrieving his Porsche sport utility vehicle at Mastro's Steakhouse.

The actor and a female companion had just finished a $500 dinner at the North Canon Drive restaurant. Anderson, who believed he was not authorized to accept foreign currency, said he was bloodied by the attack.

Anderson, 50, alleged that Sharif angrily called him a "stupid Mexican." Anderson is from Guatemala. Sharif, 75, later pleaded no contest to a misdemeanor battery charge. In early 2007 he was ordered to pay a $100 fine and attend anger-management classes. He was also placed on two years' probation by a Los Angeles County Superior Court judge.

Anderson sued Sharif for assault and battery, emotional distress and commission of a hate crime. A 2005 state law prohibits racially motivated violence.

On Tuesday, Santa Monica Superior Court Judge Joe W. Hilberman awarded Anderson $318,190 in damages. Sharif, who earlier characterized the incident as a parking lot argument, did not appear at the trial.

The actor could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

It was unclear what currency Sharif will use to pay the judgment. That amount is the equivalent of 217,000 euros.

But Anderson's lawyer, John Carpenter, said collecting the cash in any currency could be difficult. Sharif is in Egypt, Carpenter said.

The Beverly Hills parking lot incident was not Sharif's first altercation. In 2003, he was fined $1,700 and given a one-month suspended sentence for head-butting a French police officer.

"It made me the hero of the whole of France," the actor later told the New Yorker magazine. "To head-butt a cop is the dream of every Frenchman."

------------

Now obviously, a punch in the face is assault, and there was a racial slur, but how the @!!*%$ does that become emotional distress? Seriously?! Any lawyers or pre-law students here? $318,190!!! For a face punch and a misidentified racial slur! Do the judges and juries that try these cases go home to mansions or live effortless lives? I have been punched in the face and called a name, where's my money? Or hell, how about people who have REALLY been assaulted? What are women who are beaten, raped and beaten again awarded? To me, all this shows is how arbitrary "justice" is, and sets up a "those who have nothing to lose can act as they choose" scenario. This type of lawsuit needs to be put side by side with what wounded troops are given for lost limbs, PTSD, torn up families, dead comrades, etc. THAT is emotional distress, THAT is "assault and battery" and a whole lot more. Now, was Sharif wrong? F-ing A he was! An apology, MAYBE a $1,000 dollars, and some community service should've been the punishment. Who the f--k do they find to be judges? I think they need to do some serious "common sense" tests before they are allowed to hold court.

Oh, and just how hard can a normal 75 year old HIT?
Old 02-21-08, 01:09 PM
Suspended

Cool, his lawyer is John Carpenter!

I thought Omar Sharif was dead, so this is good news.
Old 02-21-08, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hitmanjules
I have been punched in the face and called a name, where's my money?
I guess you should provoke a rich person instead of one of your dumb-ass friends.
Old 02-21-08, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think it's fair. You shouldn't hit people.
Old 02-21-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not authorized to accept foregin currency? Was this a tip or does the place charge for vallet parking?
Old 02-21-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, you don't call mexican a guatemalan, it's like one of the worst offenses to them.

(Also you don't call latino a mexican)
Old 02-21-08, 04:23 PM

Why should the victim be entitled to that money? I understand punishing an offender to the tune where he "feels" the punishment. But why should one victim get more money than say a victim of a poorer offender. I say give the victim a set amount (say $1000) and give the rest to charity.

These types of lawsuit awards encourages people to accost wealthy people in the hopes that they can make it rich. If a law is enacted to award set amounts for various civil infractions (similar to criminal sentencing laws), there is no additional benefit to being a victim of a rich person. Then such encounters would likely not happen. Let me be clear here, I am NOT faulting the parking lot attendant in this case, but just making a general statement about the ludicrous amount of money he "deserves" from this obviously horrific injustice he was forced to endure.
Old 02-21-08, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well - if someone who is poor and has no money hits me - then maybe $1,000 is ok. But if someone who is a rich, spoiled a-hole hits me because he thinks he's better than everyone else - then what's wrong with $300,000.

What the article doesn't say is if the money was "compensatory damages" (designed to cover medical expenses, lost work, pain and suffering) or if it included "punitive damages" (designed to deter future misconduct).

If the plaintiff can document $300,000 of compensatory damages - so be it. But under most states' laws, he would be entitled to punitive damages because the assault was intentional. Under punitive damages, the net worth of a defendant is relevant.

But generally - this is why these types of "celebrity assault" cases settle out of court for an "undisclosed sum." I can't believe why Omar thought it would be a guy idea to try this case - particularly if he wasn't going to be there to defend himself - unless he's going to spend the rest of his life in Egypt and he has no assets here in the US.
Old 02-21-08, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Robertwoj
These types of lawsuit awards encourages people to accost wealthy people in the hopes that they can make it rich.
You would think these types of lawsuit awards would encourage wealthy people to "act like the Fonz". But they don't.
Old 02-21-08, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk God

I'd gladly accept a $20 Euro note. It's worth more than an American $20 bill.
Old 02-21-08, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by orangerory
Well - if someone who is poor and has no money hits me - then maybe $1,000 is ok. But if someone who is a rich, spoiled a-hole hits me because he thinks he's better than everyone else - then what's wrong with $300,000.
I think you missed my point. Make the offender pay $300,000 or more. That will hurt. But you only get $1,000 with the rest GOING TO CHARITY.

I don't see why you should profit differently based on the offender.
Old 02-21-08, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Raul3
Well, you don't call mexican a guatemalan, it's like one of the worst offenses to them.

(Also you don't call latino a mexican)
In California if you're brown, you're Mexican. Narrow-minded? Certainly, but there are so many goddamned Mexicans here that I seriously doubt anyone but the person being called a Mexican knows the difference.

Did Sharif over-react? Yes. But with John Carpenter as his lawyer he's bound to win on appeal.
Old 02-21-08, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
there are so many goddamned Mexicans here
Old 02-21-08, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk God

If victims can only expect to win $1000 with the rest going to charity, they wouldn't bring suit to begin with. If one's goal is to set up a system where 'worthy' tort victims get a proper/deserved big judgment award and the 'unworthy' don't (with the excess going to charity), you have to write a law that can adequately express that. Good luck.
Old 02-21-08, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Yea, I know, I know. But you know what? With all the illegals driving drunk (and killing people like Bob Clark), crapping up our schools and hospitals, harassing women, breaking our laws and not bothering to learn our language some people tend to get a little pissed off. Me being one of them. So, with that said...

Old 02-21-08, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yea, I know, I know. But you know what? With all the illegals driving drunk (and killing people like Bob Clark), crapping up our schools and hospitals, harassing women, breaking our laws and not bothering to learn our language some people tend to get a little pissed off. Me being one of them. So, with that said...

You forgot to add "not paying taxes while sucking at the everflowing teat of our governmental benefit programs..."
Old 02-21-08, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

But they do make pretty good authentic Mexican food. And in case if anyone asks, "How do you know it's authentic?" Well, you shit your pants from wild intenstinal cramps before you get home.
Old 02-21-08, 08:28 PM
Uber Member

One possibly achievable tort reform I'd like to see would be set limits on damage rewards. Give the jury a range they can award. Like $1 to $100,000. That gives them a kind of scale against which to measure the offense against.

Obviously, determining the award ranges would be difficult, but I would think it would be something that could be reached. Perhaps have it scale with revenues for businesses, or for repeat offenders.
Old 02-21-08, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Interesting you should mention this. I had an experience today. Stupidass in a barely-running piece-oh-shit car, does a U-turn in the middle of an intersection. Fucker just looked at me like I was supposed to clap or something. And he was Mexican, or whatever you call them. Cute dirty hat, which limited his sight as well. Typical mustache.
Old 02-22-08, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What happened to the days of giving someone an apology and moving on. Allowing people to sue due to shit like this is not right. Fine the guy took a hit and got called a name. I am sure a lot happens to many people around the world on a daily basis and they get over it. People like this just see it as an oppurtunity to get rich quick. Emotional distress is just a pile of B.S. They should set a level at which people can be compensated for things like this. $1000 is more than enough.
Old 02-22-08, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And dont forget marching for equal rights in our country with a Mexican flag blarring...

Hmmm...

You want to be considered an American, yet you rep. the Bomb-pop flag.
Old 02-22-08, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-22-08, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose

Soy Ramera rica*

http://ets.freetranslation.com/ *
Old 02-22-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I was rich Id go around punching people left and right for a $1K. On a wage scale, it would be like the change you have in your pocket is all it would cost you to punch people in the face
Old 02-22-08, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I agree completely.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.