Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Gymboree or not to be?

Old 02-20-08, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Gymboree or not to be?

A week ago I didn't think I'd find myself about to sign our tot up for Gymboree, but after hearing about the price being a little less for a full year membership, I might have changed my mind. Just curious if any of you have tried Gymboree and found it worth it or not?

It's not cheap. With a $30 one time membership fee and tax it would cost about $780 for a year. That includes two sessions a week + one open play time a week. Works out to $5.00 a visit. My wife is a stay at home mom and I think she'd enjoy it as much as our 14-month-old. We went for a free session today and the baby loved it. It would be good for mom to get out of the house and on certain days I could go and let the wife have some alone time.

I'm guessing there are cheaper methods for this kind of activity, like at some churches (?). I didn't see any other play group companies in Atlanta near our home.
Old 02-20-08, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Cheaper than doggie day care.
Old 02-20-08, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

We never did Gymboree, but when our girls were 2 & 3 they did dance classes for kids their age and gymnastics too. $5 a visit is cheap. - and it only gets more expensive as they get older. If you have to pay up front, I guess the obvious advice is make sure your wife really likes it and thinks the baby will too for the whole year.

But $5 a visit, that's incredibly reasonable for any activity.

Sorry I couldn't be as informative as Kvrdave.
Old 02-20-08, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Cheaper than doggie day care.
Old 02-20-08, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the guy on the left just opened a new Gymboree:

[/
Old 02-20-08, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My kid goes to it. She finds it okay. It is expensive. We've found some places (community centres, recreation centres) that also offer similar services for much, much cheaper ($2 a visit, usually).

A lot will depend on the parents and their level of involvement. At one place near a very upscale neighbourhood my kid goes to, many of the parents either leave them there (!) or they gather like hens and totally ignore their kids.
Old 02-20-08, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We did the local rec center and indoor playgrounds. Also, check your local hippy parent rag for their playgroups.
Old 02-20-08, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
We did the local rec center and indoor playgrounds. Also, check your local hippy parent rag for their playgroups.
100% agreement - there are some new community/rec centers here with killer indoor pools, gyms, game rooms and playgrounds for around $430.00 a month.

They also have professional staff on hand that can actually teach as well as some daycare rooms in case your wife actually wants/needs to do something for herself.....
Old 02-20-08, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Minor Threat
100% agreement - there are some new community/rec centers here with killer indoor pools, gyms, game rooms and playgrounds for around $430.00 a month.
Wow. Woah. That's waaaay too expensive for something like that.
I'm sure what you are talking about is very nice, but it's out of my budget for sure. I'm talking about something for a wee lass that's $60 a month. No cage needed!
Old 02-20-08, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Isn't Gymboree a clothing store?
Old 02-20-08, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does Atlanta have a Children's Museum? We are members of the one here and it is awesome.
Old 02-20-08, 07:19 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Don't do it... speaking from experience, unless you want your kid constantly coming down with colds. These places are germ factories. Good luck. But I personally would look into other places... we enrolled at the YMCA for swimming and made some quality friends there. Plus, a 14 month old isn't exactly going to remember any of the kids in a few years anyway.

Save your money, for half the price you can go to the Y or your local community center like others have suggested.
Old 02-20-08, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Let me help:

Ninety-nine cents. Done.
Old 02-20-08, 08:11 PM

Gymboree closed here and left a bunch of people with memberships high & dry.
Old 02-20-08, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Yes, it is, which made it very hard to find online discussions about their classes (where kids sing and play guided by an instructor).

Maybe a Y would be a good idea. I wasn't really thinking of Gymboree as an opportunity for my kid to make friends. Maybe my wife, yes. I actually just want a place for my daughter to have fun and maybe learn a little interaction skills. She was the ONLY child her age this morning still crawling (yeah, she's a slow learner there!) and she actually did a lot more standing up while at the class this morning. And when we came home after noon the rest of the day she was charged up and going nuts around the house. Not sure if that's a good thing , but she really seemed energized by the experience. We take her out all the time, but not usually around that many other kids.
Old 02-20-08, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Try Kindermusik too.
Old 02-20-08, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Local pedophiles will often babysit/entertain your kids for free.
Old 02-20-08, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by cdollaz
No, that's Ambercromboree.
Old 02-20-08, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Wow. Woah. That's waaaay too expensive for something like that.
I'm sure what you are talking about is very nice, but it's out of my budget for sure. I'm talking about something for a wee lass that's $60 a month. No cage needed!

That should read "$430.00 a year."

Old 02-22-08, 09:28 AM

My daughter attended a gymboree birthday party when she was 4. While fun for her, I didn't find the games that imaginative and believe she would be bored with the place after a few visits, especially if going 2+ times a week. Once a month would likely be enough to keep her entertained. A 14 month old toddler might last longer, but I bet by the end of that year contract won't find it as entertaining.

What's wrong with just going to a popular park? It's free and most times there will be at least one other family around. During colder/wetter seasons keep your eyes open for open gym sessions at gymnastics centers. They are often just $5 per kid. The places in my area often have open gym weekly, usually a Tuesday or Wednesday afternoon when business is slow.
Old 02-22-08, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by milwaukee_mike
What's wrong with just going to a popular park? It's free and most times there will be at least one other family around.
Yeah, we hit the park. Lots of fun. The Gymboree idea is only to try for a year or two. When she's a little bit older (like the age of your child) I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be something we'd consider. This is also something my wife would enjoy as well... and me too some days. We'll see. Still debating.
Old 02-22-08, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mhg83
the guy on the left just opened a new Gymboree:

[/

yikes.... just yikes.
Old 02-23-08, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Something like that is more for your wife to get out and socialize than your daughter. If your wife likes the other moms at Gymboree and it's reasonably close, why not?

Though... if your daughter is not routinely exposed to other kids, expect her to get sick more often. Ear infections, fevers, etc. But this is from being exposed to other kids on a regular basis, not from Gymboree per se.
Old 02-23-08, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Heat
Something like that is more for your wife to get out and socialize than your daughter.
I see it kind of equally for both. It's not like you can just let a 14-month-old kid run off by themselves. My wife said she was tired after the 45 minute session since she was involved with everything going on. But, yeah, I could see adults making friendships out of it.

After talking to co-workers I am discovering other options, but they might be too far away. There is a local YMCA, but I'm not sure if they offer what I'm looking for.