Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Please recommend U.S. hot, walking cities...

Old 02-20-08, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Please recommend U.S. hot, walking cities...

Here's the thing:
My wife and I, and a couple of our friends want to get together this summer. This needs to be done here in the U.S. (because of immigration reasons).

Between the four of us we have come up with some things we'd like:

HOT (think 90s plus)
Nice Pool and/or Ocean
No/minimal driving necessary (walking distance (3 miles or so) to necessities, culture, and restaurants).
For accomodations we are hoping to keep it under $1000 for five nights (for two people) or more if it's a two bedroom condo or something.

Vegas, unfortunately is out. Since we live in south bay, they have visited us and stayed also in San Francisco, so that's probably out too. Phoenix is a possibility, but one of us was there just a couple of months ago. New Orleans is an idea (and a place I love), but I can't picture a hotel with a great pool there.

Any Texas recommendations?

Anyway, so I thought I'd ask for help. I love to hear your recommendations of cities, sites, accomodations, etc. Thanks for any and all help.

Last edited by saoirse; 02-20-08 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-20-08, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Baltimore
Camden
Des Moines
Atlanta
Pittsburgh
Tallahassee
Santa Barbara
Old 02-20-08, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Miami
Ventura Beach, CA
Newport Beach, CA
Huntington Beach, CA
Honolulu
Old 02-20-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How about Key West? I just did a quick search (on expedia) for a Monday-Friday from LAX to Key West with airfare for a 3 star or better hotel (2 rooms, 2 people per room) and there were tons of places.

It's gotten a little touristy, but it's still nice. You need to be aware of hurricanes, but you need to for New Orleans too.

I don't know if your going to find something in New Orleans that is nice for the kind of money your looking at, I think they are still putting the city back together.

What about a cruise out of San Diego?

Last edited by Jeeden; 02-20-08 at 12:53 PM.
Old 02-20-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Corpus Christi
Galveston
Padre Island
Old 02-20-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What about Chicago? No ocean, but I hear they have some sort of lake there.
Old 02-20-08, 01:01 PM

San Antonio will be nice and hot. Stay downtown for walkable places and night life.

For downtown, I've heard good things about:
La Mansion http://www.omnihotels.com/FindAHotel...ionDelRio.aspx
Grand Hyatt (brand new..finished by summer http://www.grandsanantonio.hyatt.com...tels/index.jsp)
Hyatt Regency
Valencia Hotel (my favorite) http://sanantonio.hotelvalencia.com/...rwalk-home.php
Hotel Contessa http://www.thehotelcontessa.com

Last edited by heimerSWT; 02-20-08 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-20-08, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I second Key West. Just steer clear of Spring Break (unless that's your thing)
Old 02-20-08, 01:16 PM
X
Administrator

There are all sorts of lakes and rivers inland California. You could just rent a houseboat on the Sacramento Delta. Not a lot of culture there though, unless you consider waterskiing to be culture.

Tahoe would be great but it's probably just a little too cool.

There are lots of places like this too: http://www.konoctiharbor.com/
Old 02-20-08, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would think some of the nicer hotels in New Orleans would have pools. Try Le Pavilion on Poydras. They have a pool on the roof.
Old 02-20-08, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I second Miami.
Old 02-20-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DC. July & August temps are usually in the 90s. Plenty of tourist attractions and most are walking distance or accessible by subway. No ocean, some hotels have pools.
Old 02-20-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

New Smyrna Beach, FL
Old 02-20-08, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Austin (though may need to do some driving)
Savannah
Charleston
Old 02-20-08, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
What about Chicago? No ocean, but I hear they have some sort of lake there.
The Chicago end of Lake Michigan is a toilet. I wouldn't put a toenail in it without going for decontamination afterward. If you want to see the REAL Great Lakes, clean and blue and beautiful, go to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. My family lives there, and the summers are great. You won't see many 90 degree days, but there is so much to see and the country is so beautiful. Plus, you can see not only Lake Michigan, but Lake Superior and Lake Huron.
Old 02-20-08, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

San Antonio is about it when it comes to Texas, and that's even a stretch. We're not exactly set up for walking and public transportation isn't the greatest. If you really do want Texas, SA is nice in that if you just stick the Riverwalk area, you can still see most of the "good" stuff that it has to offer.
Old 02-20-08, 03:29 PM
Banned

All of those cities require a good amount of driving. e.g. Atlanta has all the things you're looking for, but you won't be able to walk from place to place like in San Fran.

The problem with southern cities is that they sprawl considerably. Texas cities are especially known for this. Austin is the only city you may be able to get away with only minimal driving.

If you're into that sort of lifestyle, you may want to try Key West. Orlando may also be an option (it's still spread out, but they have shuttles going everywhere from the hotels). Or, you could just go to Hilton Head and go between the golf courses, your condo, and the beach.
Old 02-20-08, 03:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Vibiana
The Chicago end of Lake Michigan is a toilet. I wouldn't put a toenail in it without going for decontamination afterward.
If your toenail requires them to decontaminate Lake Michigan, you may want to cut back on the number of cats you own.
Old 02-20-08, 03:31 PM

Myrtle Beach, SC
Good if you want to laze about and overdose on ocean. Some world-class golfing as well as generic touristy stuff, but not much culture. I think there's an Opry House if that's your thing. Get a 2BR condo at weekly rate. Avoid the big bikefest weekends; they really clog everything.

Charleston SC.
Lots of quirky interesting historic ethnic type of culture. Lots to see. Ocean near.
Hot and humid.

Washington DC
No ocean, but plenty of culture, very walkable. Very nice public transportation system. Many of the national monuments and other attractions are free admission (our taxes pay for them). Baltimore is 1hr away for a nice day trip.
Old 02-20-08, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by matta
All of those cities require a good amount of driving. e.g. Atlanta has all the things you're looking for, but you won't be able to walk from place to place like in San Fran.

The problem with southern cities is that they sprawl considerably. Texas cities are especially known for this. Austin is the only city you may be able to get away with only minimal driving.

If you're into that sort of lifestyle, you may want to try Key West. Orlando may also be an option (it's still spread out, but they have shuttles going everywhere from the hotels). Or, you could just go to Hilton Head and go between the golf courses, your condo, and the beach.

Good idea about orlando and there are always deals for airfare there. You could walk around International Drive...although I tend to prefer closing my eyes between the airport and Disney and never leaving the property (parks, resorts, all things Disney) until it's time to go back to the airport
Old 02-20-08, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by matta
If your toenail requires them to decontaminate Lake Michigan, you may want to cut back on the number of cats you own.
Go on with your cheap flattery, why don't you ... *breathless and giggling*
Old 02-20-08, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

lake havasu, arizona... pretty hot out there.
Old 02-20-08, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another vote for DC.
Old 02-20-08, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Savannah
Old 02-20-08, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

90 plus on purpose??? That's one of the main reasons I do NOT miss living in New Orleans any more.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.