Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

airline ticket question

Old 02-20-08, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

airline ticket question

I've been planning a trip to Dublin for the summer, so I've been looking at the Aer Lingus site quite a bit and checking different dates. Yesterday morning, the return flight to SFO (on a Tuesday, July 22) was at $449; when I went to book it last night, the same flight was $575. Suddenly, it was the most expensive flight in a three-week window. Is this kind of fluctuation normal? Should I book it now, or is it possible it'll go back down in the future?
Old 02-20-08, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

prices can change any minute

it's all based on supply and demand. prices can go higher or there may be a sale because of slow sales or maybe some business group is going there and that's why prices jumped
Old 02-20-08, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is it normal? No. Does it happen? Yes. it is little wonder that the airline industry has so many problems, their business model is a shambles.

It may go back down, how long do you have to gamble?
Old 02-20-08, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Is it normal? No. Does it happen? Yes. it is little wonder that the airline industry has so many problems, their business model is a shambles.

It may go back down, how long do you have to gamble?
I don't have to book it immediately or anything. My only concern is that my dates are pretty much set in stone. I basically have to come back on that day; otherwise I'll be spending another $200 in hotel charges for two more nights (no return flights offered on Wednesday).
Old 02-20-08, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

have you checked out other airlines? aer lingus can't be the only one that flies into dublin
Old 02-20-08, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy
have you checked out other airlines? aer lingus can't be the only one that flies into dublin

I checked British Airways and United - both were quite a bit more expensive for the same dates.
Old 02-20-08, 09:17 AM

Check out US airways they look to be about $50 cheaper.
Old 02-20-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Look for package deals. We once got a package deal that basically charged us negative $250 to rent a room at a hotel. We checked in, to validate the deal, but never stayed there.
Old 02-20-08, 09:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by redcat
I've been planning a trip to Dublin for the summer, so I've been looking at the Aer Lingus site quite a bit and checking different dates. Yesterday morning, the return flight to SFO (on a Tuesday, July 22) was at $449; when I went to book it last night, the same flight was $575. Suddenly, it was the most expensive flight in a three-week window. Is this kind of fluctuation normal? Should I book it now, or is it possible it'll go back down in the future?
www.kayak.com

It's revenue management, and yes the price will fluctuate. If someone buys a ticket, the prices goes up. If a competing airline drops prices, the price goes down. If there's not a certain number of tickets sold in a certain time period, the price goes down.

The airlines are gaming with you. You are just a realization of theta.

Why can't consumers just be rational players, determine a willingness to pay value, then purchase when the price reaches the WTP? It makes for much easier modelling.
Old 02-20-08, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by matta
www.kayak.com

It's revenue management, and yes the price will fluctuate. If someone buys a ticket, the prices goes up. If a competing airline drops prices, the price goes down. If there's not a certain number of tickets sold in a certain time period, the price goes down.

The airlines are gaming with you. You are just a realization of theta.

Why can't consumers just be rational players, determine a willingness to pay value, then purchase when the price reaches the WTP? It makes for much easier modelling.
i have a willingness to pay the lowest rate your clients will take
Old 02-20-08, 10:27 AM
Stealth Moderator

http://www.farecast.com

A website for situations just like this. Helps you forecast the ticket prices.

edit: Unfortunately, Dublin is not one of the cities covered by farecast, which covers most major U.S. and Canadian airports.

Last edited by namja; 02-20-08 at 10:30 AM.
Old 02-20-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by namja
http://www.farecast.com

A website for situations just like this. Helps you forecast the ticket prices.

edit: Unfortunately, Dublin is not one of the cities covered by farecast, which covers most major U.S. and Canadian airports.
Yup, I was just going to recommend that site. I think there is another site just like it, but I can't remember the name, I always go to farecast.
Old 02-20-08, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just booked a 7 night trip to Ireland in May...(2 nights Dublin, 2 Cork, 2 Killarney, last night back in Dublin...we are driving through Ireland)

I've heard you don't want to "shop" then wait on buying tickets as they can see what people are searching for, then bump the prices...Not sure if that is a fact, but...
Old 02-20-08, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for the tips and sites. I like the graphs that show the history of price fluctuations.

www.kayak.com
I'm a cheap bastard. I always want to feel like I got the best deal possible.
Old 02-20-08, 07:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jeeden
Yup, I was just going to recommend that site. I think there is another site just like it, but I can't remember the name, I always go to farecast.

They're basically the same site.
Old 02-20-08, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by al_bundy
I much prefer Cunni Lingus.