Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

airline ticket question

Old 02-20-08, 07:31 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
redcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,052
airline ticket question

I've been planning a trip to Dublin for the summer, so I've been looking at the Aer Lingus site quite a bit and checking different dates. Yesterday morning, the return flight to SFO (on a Tuesday, July 22) was at $449; when I went to book it last night, the same flight was $575. Suddenly, it was the most expensive flight in a three-week window. Is this kind of fluctuation normal? Should I book it now, or is it possible it'll go back down in the future?
redcat is offline  
Old 02-20-08, 07:34 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: in da cloud
Posts: 26,196
prices can change any minute

it's all based on supply and demand. prices can go higher or there may be a sale because of slow sales or maybe some business group is going there and that's why prices jumped
al_bundy is offline  
Old 02-20-08, 07:37 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 12,209
Is it normal? No. Does it happen? Yes. it is little wonder that the airline industry has so many problems, their business model is a shambles.

It may go back down, how long do you have to gamble?
Brian Shannon is offline  
Old 02-20-08, 07:50 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
redcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,052
Originally Posted by Brian Shannon
Is it normal? No. Does it happen? Yes. it is little wonder that the airline industry has so many problems, their business model is a shambles.

It may go back down, how long do you have to gamble?
I don't have to book it immediately or anything. My only concern is that my dates are pretty much set in stone. I basically have to come back on that day; otherwise I'll be spending another $200 in hotel charges for two more nights (no return flights offered on Wednesday).
redcat is offline  
Old 02-20-08, 07:52 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: in da cloud
Posts: 26,196
have you checked out other airlines? aer lingus can't be the only one that flies into dublin
al_bundy is offline  
Old 02-20-08, 08:27 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
redcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,052
Originally Posted by al_bundy
have you checked out other airlines? aer lingus can't be the only one that flies into dublin

I checked British Airways and United - both were quite a bit more expensive for the same dates.
redcat is offline  
Old 02-20-08, 09:17 AM
  #7  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 93
Check out US airways they look to be about $50 cheaper.
Fatman is offline  
Old 02-20-08, 09:21 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Mrs. Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: With Nick Danger
Posts: 17,611
Look for package deals. We once got a package deal that basically charged us negative $250 to rent a room at a hotel. We checked in, to validate the deal, but never stayed there.
Mrs. Danger is offline  
Old 02-20-08, 09:45 AM
  #9  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Wheaton MD
Posts: 16,215
Originally Posted by redcat
I've been planning a trip to Dublin for the summer, so I've been looking at the Aer Lingus site quite a bit and checking different dates. Yesterday morning, the return flight to SFO (on a Tuesday, July 22) was at $449; when I went to book it last night, the same flight was $575. Suddenly, it was the most expensive flight in a three-week window. Is this kind of fluctuation normal? Should I book it now, or is it possible it'll go back down in the future?
www.kayak.com

It's revenue management, and yes the price will fluctuate. If someone buys a ticket, the prices goes up. If a competing airline drops prices, the price goes down. If there's not a certain number of tickets sold in a certain time period, the price goes down.

The airlines are gaming with you. You are just a realization of theta.

Why can't consumers just be rational players, determine a willingness to pay value, then purchase when the price reaches the WTP? It makes for much easier modelling.
matta is offline  
Old 02-20-08, 10:02 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: in da cloud
Posts: 26,196
Originally Posted by matta
www.kayak.com

It's revenue management, and yes the price will fluctuate. If someone buys a ticket, the prices goes up. If a competing airline drops prices, the price goes down. If there's not a certain number of tickets sold in a certain time period, the price goes down.

The airlines are gaming with you. You are just a realization of theta.

Why can't consumers just be rational players, determine a willingness to pay value, then purchase when the price reaches the WTP? It makes for much easier modelling.
i have a willingness to pay the lowest rate your clients will take
al_bundy is offline  
Old 02-20-08, 10:27 AM
  #11  
Stealth Moderator
 
namja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: High Definition
Posts: 24,967
http://www.farecast.com

A website for situations just like this. Helps you forecast the ticket prices.


edit: Unfortunately, Dublin is not one of the cities covered by farecast, which covers most major U.S. and Canadian airports.

Last edited by namja; 02-20-08 at 10:30 AM.
namja is offline  
Old 02-20-08, 10:43 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 1,445
Originally Posted by namja
http://www.farecast.com

A website for situations just like this. Helps you forecast the ticket prices.


edit: Unfortunately, Dublin is not one of the cities covered by farecast, which covers most major U.S. and Canadian airports.
Yup, I was just going to recommend that site. I think there is another site just like it, but I can't remember the name, I always go to farecast.
Jeeden is offline  
Old 02-20-08, 11:16 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Chrisedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Part of the Left-Wing Conspiracy
Posts: 6,840
I just booked a 7 night trip to Ireland in May...(2 nights Dublin, 2 Cork, 2 Killarney, last night back in Dublin...we are driving through Ireland)

I've heard you don't want to "shop" then wait on buying tickets as they can see what people are searching for, then bump the prices...Not sure if that is a fact, but...
Chrisedge is offline  
Old 02-20-08, 06:50 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
redcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 1,052
Thanks for the tips and sites. I like the graphs that show the history of price fluctuations.

Originally Posted by matta
www.kayak.com
Why can't consumers just be rational players, determine a willingness to pay value, then purchase when the price reaches the WTP? It makes for much easier modelling.
I'm a cheap bastard. I always want to feel like I got the best deal possible.
redcat is offline  
Old 02-20-08, 07:26 PM
  #15  
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Wheaton MD
Posts: 16,215
Originally Posted by Jeeden
Yup, I was just going to recommend that site. I think there is another site just like it, but I can't remember the name, I always go to farecast.
Originally Posted by matta

They're basically the same site.
matta is offline  
Old 02-20-08, 08:22 PM
  #16  
Moderator
 
Jadzia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Michigan
Posts: 15,799
Originally Posted by al_bundy
have you checked out other airlines? aer lingus can't be the only one that flies into dublin
I much prefer Cunni Lingus.
Jadzia is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.