Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Sort of a what to do in Vegas question

Old 02-19-08, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sort of a what to do in Vegas question

Here's the deal. I've been to Vegas probably dozens of times in my life. I've been to all the hotels, seen most of the BIG production shows (Cirque shows, Phantom, Blue Man, etc), seen the Hoover Dam, took a helicopter to the Grand Canyon and yada yada yada. Basically I've done of the things that people new to Las Vegas like to do.

The thing is that in a month I'm going to Vegas with 5 other people who have never been there before--Hell one guy has never even been out of his home state before. We'll be there Thursday thru Sunday. I'm just wondering what the plan should be. I mean since I've seen and done all the stuff before I kind of want them to all have a good time, but what to do? I'm wondering what the best way is for me, as somewhat of a Vegas expert, to make their trip fun.

Also, and this is a bit of a touchy subject, but none of them have as much money as I do. I'm sorry, but that's just how it is. When I go there I usually stay for 3 or 4 days, see 1 or 2 shows and eat at good restaurants each night. There just isn't any way they'll be able to afford that. What are some of the more bargain things to do in Vegas? I just want everybody to have a good time. To be perfectly honest, I don't really want to do everything dirt cheap but at the same time I know the rest of the group isn't going to be able to afford LOVE tickets and then dinner at Craftsteak or something like that.
Old 02-21-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Go to one of the half-price ticket places and get some ticket (the day of) for a sub-par show. They will not have Cirque, but you can get things like Splash, V, etc. Legends is a good 'variety' show for people who want to see that type of thing. It's a bit old school, so that could be fun for them. Plus, they sometimes have those tickets half-price. I'd recommend tipping 10 bucks to the person seating you and ask for one of the mobster booths (much more comfortable). Just say booth though.

DO NOT GET MATSURI tickets, if it's still on. This is the worst show I've seen. It was so bad, we were laughing, but the joke got old fast and we walked out after about 15 minutes. Total waste of money.

If you have the money, you could rent a car, take them to the red rock park near the JW Marriott. You pay for the rental, the get a nice hike in and get to see a different part of Vegas. I'd suggest that wonderful cheap show Bottom's Up, but it's no longer going. Damn! If they are pool lovers, you can save money by hanging out at the pool during the day (I love the Mandalay Bay or MGM ones). Walk the strip with them drinking a Heinekin keg each. That's always fun for new people.

That's it off the top of my head for now.
Old 02-21-08, 12:04 PM

for breakfast (or lunch)

Hash House a Go Go

google it. not expensive and more awesome food than you can possible imagine.

mmm....chorizo hash with jalapenos.....
Old 02-21-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by saoirse
Go to one of the half-price ticket places and get some ticket (the day of) for a sub-par show. They will not have Cirque, but you can get things like Splash, V, etc. Legends is a good 'variety' show for people who want to see that type of thing. It's a bit old school, so that could be fun for them. Plus, they sometimes have those tickets half-price. I'd recommend tipping 10 bucks to the person seating you and ask for one of the mobster booths (much more comfortable). Just say booth though.

DO NOT GET MATSURI tickets, if it's still on. This is the worst show I've seen. It was so bad, we were laughing, but the joke got old fast and we walked out after about 15 minutes. Total waste of money.

If you have the money, you could rent a car, take them to the red rock park near the JW Marriott. You pay for the rental, the get a nice hike in and get to see a different part of Vegas. I'd suggest that wonderful cheap show Bottom's Up, but it's no longer going. Damn! If they are pool lovers, you can save money by hanging out at the pool during the day (I love the Mandalay Bay or MGM ones). Walk the strip with them drinking a Heinekin keg each. That's always fun for new people.

That's it off the top of my head for now.
Yeah, I'm sure some of them will enjoy the MGM pool. I actually own one of the Signature condos that are there on the MGM property so that's where we'll be staying. So, everybody is getting a free room so that's a bonus. I'll take a look at some of your suggestions.
Old 02-21-08, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I LOVED Matsuri. $19 for 2 tickets. Awesome show.

You want to talk crappy show? Steve Wyrick.
Old 02-22-08, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by whoopdido
I actually own one of the Signature condos that are there on the MGM property so that's where we'll be staying.
*makes friends with whoopdido*
Old 02-22-08, 02:47 PM

[QUOTE=GatorDeb]I LOVED Matsuri. $19 for 2 tickets. Awesome show.
QUOTE]

Good one, but seriously, please don't joke about this. People may think you're being real and torture themselves by going to this artless tripe.
Old 03-06-08, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also, and this is a bit of a touchy subject, but none of them have as much money as I do. I'm sorry, but that's just how it is. When I go there I usually stay for 3 or 4 days, see 1 or 2 shows and eat at good restaurants each night. There just isn't any way they'll be able to afford that. What are some of the more bargain things to do in Vegas? I just want everybody to have a good time. To be perfectly honest, I don't really want to do everything dirt cheap but at the same time I know the rest of the group isn't going to be able to afford LOVE tickets and then dinner at Craftsteak or something like that.

cheapovegas.com
Old 03-06-08, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh and Whoopdido is a baller!
Old 03-06-08, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Oh and Whoopdido is a baller!
Yeah right.
Old 03-11-08, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

what the hell is matsuri anyways?
Old 03-17-08, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah right.

Dude you said you had a condo in vegas. gotta be a baller to have a 2nd home in vegas right?
Old 03-17-08, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by atari2600
what the hell is matsuri anyways?
The worst show on the strip.
Old 03-17-08, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Dude you said you had a condo in vegas. gotta be a baller to have a 2nd home in vegas right?
Yeah well kinda wish I didn't have it. It hasn't been a good investment and since I only go to Vegas a couple times a year I could probably stay at the Mansions each night and come out ahead since the value of the place has plummeted.
Old 03-18-08, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I enjoyed the drag show at the Riviera (I think)... it was pretty cheap.
Old 03-18-08, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Craftsteak's mistake is that they are like 30 ft. from a McDonald's, giving you the immediate opportunity to pocket $80 instead and just have a double cheeseburger.
Old 03-19-08, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For any first timers, just walking up and down the strip and checking out all the hotels is a must. Plus it's cheap entertainment. You didn't say if they want to gamble. My wife really isn't a gambler but the first few times we would just walk from hotel to hotel, throw a roll fo quarters in to a couple video poker machines and play until we won or lost a few dollars, then head to next one. You can kill hours without dropping a load of cash. I'm sure they like something whether it be gamble, shop, or drink, you can spend a lot of time cruising around without dropping much money.

For entertainment, I still think some of the comedy shows, like second city are a great value for the money. Not real expensive but numerous comedians or skits. If they are in to cars, the car museum was cheap or free I don't remember but that was fun.
Old 03-19-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JimRochester
For any first timers, just walking up and down the strip and checking out all the hotels is a must. Plus it's cheap entertainment. You didn't say if they want to gamble. My wife really isn't a gambler but the first few times we would just walk from hotel to hotel, throw a roll fo quarters in to a couple video poker machines and play until we won or lost a few dollars, then head to next one. You can kill hours without dropping a load of cash. I'm sure they like something whether it be gamble, shop, or drink, you can spend a lot of time cruising around without dropping much money.

For entertainment, I still think some of the comedy shows, like second city are a great value for the money. Not real expensive but numerous comedians or skits. If they are in to cars, the car museum was cheap or free I don't remember but that was fun.
Yeah this won't be a gambling trip. We've come up with a few things that they want to do. Hoover Dam, a show, lounging by the pool, checking out the hotels. This is a fairly long trip and I usually spend a day golfing when I go out there, so we might be struggling to find things to do that don't cost an arm and a leg by the end of the trip.

By the way, I know I said we wanted to keep this fairly inexpensive but one night we are planning on going to Nobu at the Hard Rock for sushi. Does anybody know anything about that place? A friend of mine who's orginally from Hawaii and loves sushi told me that Nobu in Las Vegas is the best sushi he's ever had and that includes sushi he's gotten in Hawaii. I have heard other opinions but I do trust this guy because he's given me good restaurant advice in the past. So, any word on Nobu? We're planning on sitting at the sushi bar, so do you think we'd have a hard time getting in on a Thursday night? I assume we'd need reservations, but should I specify that I want to sit at the sushi bar rather than just in the restaurant?
Old 03-19-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For total non-gamblers, you're going to run out of things to do fast. Hopefully they like to shop, the Venetian and Caesars can keep them occupied. Don't forget hanging out downtown one night. Spend 12 -14 hours watching the fountains at the Bellagio??? Dude, they don't gamble and you're there for a long week?!?! My advice, walk very slowly.

The first time I went to Vegas was 86. I remember seeing banners on a condominium project for $29,999.00. $30K for a condo. I had just gotten married so I had no money. Also at the time, those were the days a package through a travel agent was cheaper than booking airline tickets. The hotel rooms were literally free as part of the package. Why buy a condo when the rooms are free I thought?? Who knew.

I've been there dozens of times but I usually go for a long weekend or for a few days as part of a conference. I've never taken the ride to Hoover dam. WIth the trip from the east coast you lose a lot of time on the plane and from Rochester we always have layovers.
Old 03-19-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JimRochester
For total non-gamblers, you're going to run out of things to do fast. Hopefully they like to shop, the Venetian and Caesars can keep them occupied. Don't forget hanging out downtown one night. Spend 12 -14 hours watching the fountains at the Bellagio??? Dude, they don't gamble and you're there for a long week?!?! My advice, walk very slowly.

The first time I went to Vegas was 86. I remember seeing banners on a condominium project for $29,999.00. $30K for a condo. I had just gotten married so I had no money. Also at the time, those were the days a package through a travel agent was cheaper than booking airline tickets. The hotel rooms were literally free as part of the package. Why buy a condo when the rooms are free I thought?? Who knew.

I've been there dozens of times but I usually go for a long weekend or for a few days as part of a conference. I've never taken the ride to Hoover dam. WIth the trip from the east coast you lose a lot of time on the plane and from Rochester we always have layovers.
Yeah I know man. That's kind of what I'm worried about. It is a long time to be there (I usually go from like Tuesday to Friday or something like that) especially if gambling really isn't in the cards. A trip to the Grand Canyon was an option too and that would be like a whole day trip. I'm worried about running out of things to do.
Old 03-22-08, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just call one of those numbers of those flyers that the mexican guys pass out on the street