Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

YACT: Ford Ranger American vs world

Old 02-19-08, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

YACT: Ford Ranger American vs world

I was on a Wikipedia binge, earlier, and found myself reading about the Ford Ranger truck. For the uninformed, the Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series trucks are identical. I knew that Mazda used to make them and Ford sold a rebadged version as the Ranger. Now Ford makes them and Mazda sells a rebadged version as the B-Series. I assumed this was the same world-over. NOPE!

According to Wikipedia, the American version is made by Ford and sold only in North and South America. The version sold in the rest of the world, "over 130 countries," is made by Mazda and Ford rebadges a version as the Ranger. This version seems to be a categorically better product. It reminds me of Nissan and Toyota's current offerings.

So, why in the bloody hell is the awesome version sold everywhere in the world and the US gets shafted with the shit version that Ford can only sell in a handful of South American countries? Hell, the current version hasn't been changed in TEN YEARS! I have a '98 Ranger and it is IDENTICAL to what you would get if you went and bought one, today.

What gives, Ford? No wonder they're teetering on bankruptcy!
Old 02-19-08, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The problem with Ford is that the various divisions are essentially autonomous companies. So one division does a home run, and there's no one else noticing.
Old 02-19-08, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd could understand that and but in this case it's virtually EVERY OTHER COUNTRY IN THE ENTIRE WORLD! How could Ford NA not take notice??
Old 02-20-08, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Because Ford NA are a bunch of idiots?
Old 02-20-08, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Check out the Ford Mondeo, the Euro-spec Focus, the S-Max, the C-Max, the Aussie Falcon etc, etc, etc. The Mondeo is a multiple car-of-the-year winner, the Euro Focus is roughly ten years ahead of our domestic piece of crap, the S-Max is the best small minivan on the market anywhere, the Falcon is cool looking and has serious power (the brand new Falcon GT, XR6T and XR8 kick all kinds of ass) and a great interior. None are sold here.

What do we get here? A rebadged Five Hundred, a reskinned ten-year-old Focus that they try to sell us as a "brand new model", crap like the Taurus X etc.

Ford makes great cars everywhere except America. At least they realize it's an issue: they've adopted a "global portfolio" strategy. The first car we'll probably see from it is the very cool looking new Fiesta that's coming in '10.

Last edited by Hiro11; 02-20-08 at 05:14 AM.
Old 02-20-08, 05:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ford owns 33% of Mazda. It owns 100% of the American plants. If Americans are willing to buy an inferior truck made where they get more of the profits, why should they import the Japanese trucks?

Not to mention that a lot of the truck-buying public have the America, Fuck Yeah mindset. They are made deeply unhappy when supposedly American vehicles are made overseas. It's probably a big enough sector of the market that Ford doesn't want to alienate them.
Old 02-20-08, 05:57 AM
Banned

Did you look at price? They have a US$40,000 ranger on that Australian site.

US prices range from $14,000 - $22,000
Aussie prices range from $20,000 - $40,000

In that price range, the Aussie version of the Ranger would compete with the F-150, which they apparently don't have in Australia.

Last edited by matta; 02-20-08 at 06:01 AM.
Old 02-20-08, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So, why in the bloody hell is the awesome version sold everywhere in the world and the US gets shafted with the shit version that Ford can only sell in a handful of South American countries?
Because American consumers buy it?
Old 02-20-08, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

most people i've known who drove trucks did so for the macho factor or just because everyone else did it. most of them would kill you just for asking you to haul something in their truck where the bed is always pristine.

the link you have shows real work trucks, not the ones americans drive
Old 02-20-08, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by al_bundy
most people i've known who drove trucks did so for the macho factor or just because everyone else did it. most of them would kill you just for asking you to haul something in their truck where the bed is always pristine.

the link you have shows real work trucks, not the ones americans drive
Kind of like the SUV's that only go to Costco
Old 02-20-08, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ford is going to discontinue the Ranger

But the staggering neglect and obligatory demise of another famous Blue Oval product is proof positive that Ford is lowering its overhead via unnecessary self-mutilation. As the threat of mini-rigs from once-foreign lands grows more credible, the low-brow Ranger is a potential profit center. Come 2009, Ford's decision to kill the Ranger will soon become another haunting melody from another, better time.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/rev...ranger-review/
Old 02-20-08, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ford just announced the Kuga, a sweet looking mini-SUV with 44MPG efficiency and a truly nice interior. It would probably sell for about 20-25K here in the US and offer real competition to the likes of the CR-V.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/02/20/f...ices-kuga-cuv/

Also not for sale in the US.

WTF, Ford.
Old 02-20-08, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Originally Posted by al_bundy
Luckily, down here people aren't like that with trucks (SUV's though, you bet). Everybody I know with a truck takes it bogging or hunting, or uses it to tow a big ass boat, and will readily help you move something with it. I want a truck, but haven't been able to justify it to myself until now, what with the impending move to Alaska. I'm looking at a used Tacoma or Tundra 4x4 with extended cab, NOT a Ford Ranger.
Old 02-20-08, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You have to remember all the safety and emission regulations in the US, it's just not worth re-engineering a car or truck to be legal to sell here.