Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Car question: speedometer not working

Old 02-19-08, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Car question: speedometer not working

I have a 2000 Hyundai Tiburon that moved from the moderate weather of North Carolina to the arctic chill of the Midwest --- specifically Wisconsin.

The car seems to be coping with the cold turn, but I noticed this morning as I drove from home that the speedometer was not moving from 0. My instrument cluster is analog, and all of the other gauges appear to be working (tach, engine temp, etc).

Before I take it to the shop and get ripped off - any ideas as to what the problem might be ... besides the fact that it's a Hyundai

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-19-08, 05:52 PM

Does the odometer still function OK?
My first thought is a broken speedometer cable.
It's possibly an expensive fix depending on how much disassambly is required to attach to the back of the speedometer. Which depends on the design of the vehicle.
Old 02-19-08, 06:36 PM

Neither the odometer nor the tripmeter are advancing. Could it be with all the ice/snow/freezing rain that something has frozen?
Old 02-19-08, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sweet, free miles! Just drive like that, and get it fixed before you sell it!!
"Low miles, original owner!"

Seriously though, it is probably a sending unit, or possibly a fuse...
Old 02-19-08, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Park it in-side and see if it goes away or just drive it that way. I have a problem with my instrument lights so I just guess at the MPH thing. You can always tell the cops it just stopped working this morning and you have called the dealer to look at it and slip him a 50.00.

Old 02-19-08, 09:26 PM

Hmmm ... "inside" is a non-heated garage at our apartment. Current temperature in there is 14 degrees ... and dropping. Forecast is even colder for tomorrow.

Would there be a fuse for *just* the speedometer? I ask because the entire instrument cluster has lights, the other gauges appear to work, and things like the turn signal indicators light when used.
Old 02-20-08, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Kmical
Would there be a fuse for *just* the speedometer? I ask because the entire instrument cluster has lights, the other gauges appear to work, and things like the turn signal indicators light when used.
In the owner's manual there should be a chart or table with the details regarding which fuses protect which circuits/functions. Possibly there is some type of chart on the fuse panel door also; but it may be abbreviated.