Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Dog laws about a dog biting another dog

Old 02-19-08, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Dog laws about a dog biting another dog

my friends dog recently bit another dog and was impounded.

She was stopped with her dogs so the other person and their dog could cross the street. The poodle came down the street and bit her puppy sharpe and her dog bit back and injured the other dog. There were no witnesses of the initial attack but people came out and saw the aftermath of the sharpe biting the poodle.

If there is anyone who know any info that could help defend the dog I would appreciate it.

I have been looking up California laws and haven't been able to come up with anything very useful yet.
Old 02-19-08, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

its a dog eat dog world out there
Old 02-19-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not sure if this will help or not but it came up on google when I put in "CA dog laws"

http://www.animallaw.info/statutes/s...1601.htm#s3342
Old 02-19-08, 03:35 PM

I've learned a lot about dog law from watching Peoples Court. Leash law always comes into play. Were both dogs on a leash? Did both dog owners have control of their own dog? Whichever owner didn't do both of those things is in the most trouble. Oh, the judge doesn't buy it when people assign "human thinking" to dogs, such as: "Rover bit Rex because Rover thought Rex was blah blah blah....".
Old 02-19-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It sounds like the poodle "came down the street" to your friend's dog? Like the poodle wasn't on a leash and approached them, bit, and then your friend's dog bit back?

If that's the case I think your friend is probably going to come out ok, even if witnesses saw only the second bite.
Old 02-19-08, 03:57 PM

I'm guessing maybe your friend's dog might be been impounded because the dog wasn't vaccinated according to the local/state laws? Just a thought. They could be observing it to see if it exhibits "vicious" behavior.

Then I remembered an incident years ago between my husband's dog Gretchen and my dog Zoe. We got our girls when we were both single but when we moved in together, the girls (mostly my dog) each thought she was queen. Two alpha bitches, so to speak. We had to keep them separated. But early on, my husband had them both loose in our fenced in backyard, my dog with a muzzle on. They got into a fight anyway, and our next door neighbors who don't like us, called the police and animal control. Husband produced Gretchen's vacination record, and I had to come home from work to find Zoe's.

Keep in mind this was between pets in the same household, both with rabies shots, and occured within a private fenced yard with no danger to the public. The animal control officer said my dog needed to be impounded for 10 days, despite my protests. Even the officer's supervisors questioned it but refused to overturn the decision. The upside was that the animal control officer simply said my dog needed be kept away from my home. So I said Zoe would be at my parents home, which conveniently was in another county where our city's Animal Control had no authority. In reality, my dog stayed at home, and didn't leave the house except for very brief potty breaks.

To this day I don't understand the reasoning in this case. Probably doesn't help you much but in my case Animal Control seemed to do whatever the heck they wanted even though we followed all the "rules."

How long is the impound period? Hopefully not more than 10days.
Old 02-19-08, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ESG927
I'm guessing maybe your friend's dog might be been impounded because the dog wasn't vaccinated according to the local/state laws? Just a thought. They could be observing it to see if it exhibits "vicious" behavior.

Then I remembered an incident years ago between my husband's dog Gretchen and my dog Zoe. We got our girls when we were both single but when we moved in together, the girls (mostly my dog) each thought she was queen. Two alpha bitches, so to speak. We had to keep them separated. But early on, my husband had them both loose in our fenced in backyard, my dog with a muzzle on. They got into a fight anyway, and our next door neighbors who don't like us, called the police and animal control. Husband produced Gretchen's vacination record, and I had to come home from work to find Zoe's.

Keep in mind this was between pets in the same household, both with rabies shots, and occured within a private fenced yard with no danger to the public. The animal control officer said my dog needed to be impounded for 10 days, despite my protests. Even the officer's supervisors questioned it but refused to overturn the decision. The upside was that the animal control officer simply said my dog needed be kept away from my home. So I said Zoe would be at my parents home, which conveniently was in another county where our city's Animal Control had no authority. In reality, my dog stayed at home, and didn't leave the house except for very brief potty breaks.

To this day I don't understand the reasoning in this case. Probably doesn't help you much but in my case Animal Control seemed to do whatever the heck they wanted even though we followed all the "rules."

How long is the impound period? Hopefully not more than 10days.

thanks for the info. Its only 10 days but her birthday is this week and I was hoping to find a way to get the dog back before that. Her dogs mean everything to her.
Old 02-19-08, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dashed
thanks for the info. Its only 10 days but her birthday is this week and I was hoping to find a way to get the dog back before that. Her dogs mean everything to her.
I'll preface this by saying I'm a huge animal lover, and I'd pick a number of animals over many humans I know....but come on...you are stressing about HER BIRTHDAY?! A dog doesn't know if it misses their b-day, you can fake it!
Old 02-19-08, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

its the girls birthday not the dogs, though the way I worded it, it could have been either I suppose.
Old 02-20-08, 10:48 AM

I feel for you friend Dashed, I really do, but there's probably nothing you or she can do. Really sucks. Just be thankful the dog didn't bite a person...things get ugly then.
Old 02-20-08, 10:53 AM

Another thing, I think some breeds are targeted more than others, sometimes unfairly. My dog Zoe (RIP girl) was a German Shepherd about 75lbs. She appeared to be more of a threat. In actuality she was very sweet and loving, just hated her step-sister Gretchen, a Lab/Shepherd mix.

What breed is your friend's dog? Poodle did you say?

With both Gretchen (2003) and now Zoe (7/2007) gone, we adopted a new dog, OUR dog rather than his or mine. Another black Lab/German Shepherd mix we named Morgan. She's a wild-child!
Old 02-20-08, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk God

So there is a way to get rid of dogs without a gun or any human involvement in any way? I gotta' look into this.