Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Question about tickets/traffic school

Old 02-18-08, 02:11 PM

Question about tickets/traffic school

So, last night I made a stupid mistake and managed to get myself pulled over. Basically, I was looking for parking near my apartment and there was none on my street. When that happens, I go around the block and park on the parallel street, then walk through the alley to the back door of my building.

The next turn after my apartment, however, is onto a one-way street that goes away from the street I use for backup parking, meaning you have to drive an extra block for a one-way in your favor and backtrack.

Well, I didn't feel like doing that last night and figured I'd go the wrong way down the one-way. It's literally only a 30-foot stretch, as the streets are very close together. I looked down there and there were no cars in sight.

Anyway, of course, as soon as I turned, a car began to turn onto the one-way facing me. A cop car. He pulled me over and was very nice about everything but I got a ticket. As I probably should have.

Anyway, this is my question: If I pay the ticket and take the traffic school option, does the offense get wiped from my record? From what I have read around the internet, in some cases traffic school only removes the "points" from your license, and the ticket still appears on your driving record, meaning your insurance rates will still go up.

My girlfriend wants me to do what he brother did after he got into an accident, which was to ask for a court hearing, then request a date change. I haven't gotten the full story, but her mom said the cop didn't show up so the case was dropped. But in my case, if the cop DID show up, I could never defend myself and I'd have court costs to pay on top of the ticket, and I'd probably still end up taking the traffic school course.

I live in Chicago if that makes any difference. The guy I talked to at Progressive said the ticket would raise my rates $80 a policy period as long as it appeared on my record, so I'd like to avoid that if at all possible. I would call the DMV and ask, but they're closed today, of course.
Old 02-18-08, 02:26 PM

In Illinois, the driving school (Defensive Driving) completion effectively makes your ticket the equivalent of receiving Court Supervision. After 90 days, the ticket will no longer be part of your permanent record.

However, if you get another ticket in that 90-day window while on supervision, both the new ticket AND the one you went to school for go on your record as a double-hit. Insurance companies WILL know about both of them.

If you get a ticket after the 90-day supervision and before a full year goes by, only the 2nd ticket goes on your permanent record (you have no recourse for that).

After a full year, you are eligible once again for the driving course and supervision. If you survive supervision and don't get another ticket for a full year, your insurance company will not know you were ticketed at all.

Now I have heard people go to court successfully and ask the judge simply for supervision, thus bypassing the class. But I have no first-hand knowledge if that works.
Old 02-18-08, 02:29 PM

Ok, so if I am understanding you right, if I take the class (which you can do on-line, thankfully), and don't get a ticket for 90 days, my record will be clean?
Old 02-18-08, 02:30 PM

Yes. Just don't get ticketed again until 1 year after this last ticket. If you do, then supervision/class is not an option.