Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

School me on washers and dryers.

Old 02-17-08, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

School me on washers and dryers.

That's right, new car and new washer and dryer.

My last place had a washer and dryer, the new one has full-size connections. I've been here a month and been doing laundry at the parents'. It's cheaper to drive there and do my laundry, plus free dinner, than it is to use our coin washers. BUT, that's getting old pretty quick. So, school me on washers and dryers.

I want something nice, large capacity, normal, gentle, heavy duty. Hot, cold, etc. For the dryer, again various cycle settings. I've used several that have an auto-dry function, that's a definite plus. But I don't want to spend a grand just on the damn washer. It's a tool that you hide in a closet, not a fashion statement.

I don't want to spend more than a grand, preferably well below. Looking at prices, it looks like you can get a decent washer for around $300 while the dryers are $500ish.

SO, what should I look for? What brands are good? Any particular models to look at or stay away from?

Thanks!!
Old 02-17-08, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My advice Whirlpool, maytag is good also but overpriced. My parent have a whirlpool washer and dryer thats lasted OVER 20 YEARS!!!! And dont get any fancy electronics on it, one more thing to break
Old 02-17-08, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Recently got new matching washer/dryer. They are part of the Frigidaire Gallery Series so they might be out of your price range (I think they were around $1300).

Sounds like your budget should be able to get you a nice, decent set. When you think you found a set, don't forget to ask about delivery/installation charges plus if you'll need to purchase any additional hardware. Be sure to double-check that they've indicated whether you need an electric or gas dryer.

One of the features I wanted on the washer is that it's a front loader. Those always seemed to be easier on the clothes plus they're high capacity. I think they also use less water (just from observing it in action). Plus, if you're really bored, they're fun to watch The washer also has 14 cycles.... which is more than anyone would need.

As to your comment about them not being fashion statements.... these are black, have pretty digital readouts and lots of LED lights. Pretty damn sexy..
Old 02-17-08, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus

One of the features I wanted on the washer is that it's a front loader. Those always seemed to be easier on the clothes plus they're high capacity. I think they also use less water (just from observing it in action). Plus, if you're really bored, they're fun to watch
Supposedly these get the clothes cleaner, too. I remember reading something in Consumer Reports a few years ago and it said that all of their best performing models were front loaders. They agitate better, since the clothes are constantly falling through the wash cycle, instead of just getting "spun around." Downside supposedly is you can't let the clothes soak, since the chamber never completely fills with water (i.e. it does save on water usage).
Old 02-17-08, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Front loading washers rock. We cut down on our water bill by one-third immediately after installing one. We also noticed a smaller drop in our power bill. They use an incredibly small amount of water, so little that at first we thought it was defective and called a tech out. They are pricier than the standard top loaders though, so your budget might not allow for one.
Old 02-17-08, 07:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dave7393
Supposedly these get the clothes cleaner, too. I remember reading something in Consumer Reports a few years ago and it said that all of their best performing models were front loaders. They agitate better, since the clothes are constantly falling through the wash cycle, instead of just getting "spun around." Downside supposedly is you can't let the clothes soak, since the chamber never completely fills with water (i.e. it does save on water usage).
HE Front loaders do get the clothes cleaner, but it's not like top loaders are leaving them in really bad shape. In his price range, he's looking at either a cheap front loader or a mid-priced top loader. Personally, I'd go for the top loader in his situation.
Old 02-17-08, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Remember in the washer/dryer world large = small, extra-large = medium, and super = large. So you are looking at getting the smallest size available.
Old 02-17-08, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Would I want the largest size if I wanted large? super=large, right?
Old 02-17-08, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd recommend the Whirlpool Duet front-loader and dryer. Definitely go for a front loader!
Old 02-17-08, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't get Frigidaire, they are POS. You should spend more on a washer than a dryer imo. All the dryer is gonna do dry your clothes, what is the big deal. The washer will play a more important role. I know it's out of your price range but I love my LG streamwash washer.
Old 02-17-08, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by zuffy
Don't get Frigidaire, they are POS.
Can you elaborate a bit more? Not that I was the one who picked that manufacturer but the online reviews I'd read have been very favorable. Plus the set has worked very nicely. The washer is so quiet, I have to visually look at it to make sure it's still going.
Old 02-17-08, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My in-law has a Fridigaire front loader. The unit break in under a year. Took several months to repair or to get the parts. Even after the repair, the washer is never the same. Still getting errors once in a while.
Old 02-17-08, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by shaun3000
Would I want the largest size if I wanted large? super=large, right?
We got this 'cause it held a big load. It's also very quiet. We bought it with a matching dryer.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1142297396588
Old 02-17-08, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I realize they are out of your price range, but I wanted to throw this in here in case someone else does a search. I've heard great things about Fisher Paykel, and will pick up a set once mine crap out.

http://www.fisherpaykel.com/global/l...ducts_home.cfm
Old 02-17-08, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

OK, I think I've found an LG set that I like. It's a little out of the range I'd set, but then I always set my ranges low!

Thoughts?

Washer: http://us.lge.com/products/model/det..._WM2016C.jhtml

Dryer:
http://us.lge.com/products/model/det..._DLE2516.jhtml
Old 02-17-08, 11:25 PM
Banned

Maytag.
Old 02-17-08, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by shaun3000
OK, I think I've found an LG set that I like. It's a little out of the range I'd set, but then I always set my ranges low!

Thoughts?

Washer: http://us.lge.com/products/model/det..._WM2016C.jhtml

Dryer:
http://us.lge.com/products/model/det..._DLE2516.jhtml
We have the LG front-load washer/dryer (Not the model you listed but the huge one with steam..) and we are very happy with it.
Old 02-17-08, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So, dumb question about the steam.... when you dry your clothes, the water evaporates, creating steam. Sooooooo why would you pay extra for a dryer that steams your clothes? I mean, doesn't it already do that? Maybe I'm missing something...
Old 02-18-08, 04:38 AM
Stealth Moderator

The LG SteamWashers have a SteamFresh mode. Basically refreshes your clothes in 20 minutes. Plus it uses steam in some of the wash cycles (Sanitary & Allergiene) which makes them "extra" clean. Also, in the dryer, when the water evaporates, that doesn't create steam (just like if you hang your clothes to dry, they don't create steam).

Anyway, if there is anything LG does well, it's making washers and dryers. That's why LG is #1 in front-loading washer sales (as of 2007 2Q) and #1 in washer/dryer customer satisfaction for 2006 & 2007 (per J.D. Power). Still, having said that, you generally can't go wrong with a Whirlpool or a Maytag front-loaders either.
Old 02-18-08, 06:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by General Zod
We have the LG front-load washer/dryer (Not the model you listed but the huge one with steam..) and we are very happy with it.

We also have that one, but with the sanitary cycle and not the steam.

We're also happy with both of them (washer and dryer). The only problem was the last time we moved - the washer weighs about 400 - 500 lbs.
Old 02-18-08, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm looking as well...anyone have any experience with GE? I can get a discount thru them. My wife is convience we "have" to get front loading this time...so guess we will. I'm looking at this one;

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1175389263527

BTW, even at this price ($699) seems like a good deal for 3.8 CF front loader.
Old 02-18-08, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Whirlpool also makes Maytag, Roper, and KitchenAid brand appliances. Roper is the "budget" brand; KitchenAid is upscale, and Maytag is tops. Whirlpool brand itself is midrange. Whirlpool also makes the Kenmore brand sold by Sears.

GE also makes Amana, Hotpoint, and JennAir. Hotpoint is the "budget" brand and JennAir the upscale. GE and Amana are midrange.

I would NOT buy a Frigidaire or White-Westinghouse. They have bad reliability records.

You might want to consider a stacking model. You will pay more for one -- about a grand -- but the space saving feature is great. OTOH, steer clear of the "all in one" washer/dryer combo like they use in Europe. It takes forever and performs only fairly.

P.S. I used to work for the home appliances division of Western Auto, which is why I know all this.
Old 02-18-08, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lots of the front-loaders seem to have similar complaints about mold/mildew/smell and vibration issues. The first issue seems to be the result of stagnant water not draining from the door seal. The second seems to be machines that aren't properly leveled. The low-end units all have worse reviews than the high-end, across the board. I doubt the lower-end units are all crap, so I guess this is kind of a socioeconomic study, eh?

Any suggestions to eliminate these issues? For the seal, I guess ensure the drains are clear and maybe run some bleach through the machine every once in a while. Leveling it shouldn't be too difficult, just make sure it's done properly when the unit is installed. Am I missing something?
Old 02-18-08, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vibiana
Whirlpool also makes Maytag, Roper, and KitchenAid brand appliances. Roper is the "budget" brand; KitchenAid is upscale, and Maytag is tops. Whirlpool brand itself is midrange. Whirlpool also makes the Kenmore brand sold by Sears.
I thought KitchenAid was the top brand. Maytag went down the tubes which is why they were sold to Whirlpool for a song. I did notice that they changed their logo recently.

Kenmore (Sears) is currently sourced by Bosch, Frigidaire, and Whirlpool (and I'm sure others). The suppliers change as time goes by.
Old 02-19-08, 01:28 AM
Suspended

Another vote for a front-loader. It's much easier on the clothes than the top-loaders with their agitators.

I have a Frigidaire, as it was part of a package I bought back in Oregon and received a big energy-saving rebate on. Still going strong seven years later. Never had a problem with it.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.