Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Why were there no manned moon mission after 1973?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-16-08, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been watching a lot of space programs on the History channel lately and I was wondering how come there haven't been any manned missions to the Moon since 1973?

You would think with today's technology, we could find something useful to do there...
Old 02-16-08, 08:50 PM
X
Administrator

We found out it wasn't made of cheese, so why bother?
Old 02-16-08, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

[tinfoil hat]You would think with our new computer technology they could fake a few more landings.[/tinfoil hat]
Old 02-16-08, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Because there is pretty much no reason to go there, plus NASA has been half-assing it since the Soviets went down.
Old 02-16-08, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Come on, this one is easy:

$$$
Old 02-16-08, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The funding ended up going to Skylab, Vietnam, spy satellites, and the cold war arms race. Then the late 70's recession and gas lines made people wonder what the hell we were spending the money on.
Old 02-16-08, 09:51 PM
Premium Member

I thought there was a whole base there about 9 years ago.

Old 02-16-08, 10:45 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by lordwow
Come on, this one is easy:

$$$
We spent 3% of our GDP on the moon race. That's a big chunk of change.

I disagree with Rockmjd23 that there is no reason to go back there. The survival of our species is tied into figuring out a way to live on other worlds, not to mention the general spirit of science, knowledge and exploration.
Old 02-16-08, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by VinVega
I disagree with Rockmjd23 that there is no reason to go back there. The survival of our species is tied into figuring out a way to live on other worlds, not to mention the general spirit of science, knowledge and exploration.
Exactly. There is still so much to learn about our universe (we basically know nothing), I'm baffled that no significant manned expeditions have happened in the last 30 years. And I doubt we'll see one in the next 30 years either... *sigh*
Old 02-16-08, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree, I'm a huge supporter of our space program, even if NASA has some of the worst corporate culture in the world.
Old 02-16-08, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Howiefan
And I doubt we'll see one in the next 30 years either... *sigh*
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orion_15

We are supposed to be back on the moon by 2018.
Old 02-16-08, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

We've lost the the thirst for knowledge, the desire to achieve, the capacity to dream. I wonder if we'll get it back in my lifetime. I doubt it.

das
Old 02-16-08, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega
There is no reason to go back there unless the new launch vehicles and spacecraft get off the ground.
Old 02-16-08, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by das Monkey
We've lost the the thirst for knowledge, the desire to achieve, the capacity to dream. I wonder if we'll get it back in my lifetime. I doubt it.

das

Have we? I might argue against total loss...But I would love to see what we could to now with space exploration if we did have that desire to achieve!
Old 02-16-08, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

And what if your battery craps out.
Old 02-16-08, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by das Monkey

das
Indeed. We could just be in a technilogical funk at the moment. If you look at processors, computers, electronic devices (digital cameras especially), it's all the same shit only recycled in a new case. Very little technological achievement.

Going to the Moon and maybe constructing an observatory for hundreds of scientists from around the world would be something I'd like to see, instead of a cool-looking cell phone which plays videos.
Old 02-17-08, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You can't seriously compare space exploration and science with mind-numbing tech toys.
Yeah, I agree. Some of these toys do have nice some technology.

For now, I'm fine with us just sitting here and using telescopes and satellites to learn more about the universe.
Old 02-17-08, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's thanks to space exploration back in the day we even have that new toy now. People just don't really get that these days.

Everyone takes damn near everything for granted these days.
Old 02-17-08, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by X
We found out it wasn't made of cheese, so why bother?
But what if it were made of barbecue spare ribs? Would ya eat it then?

das
Old 02-17-08, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I never would have thought it would happen. But, it won't to too long till all the astronauts who walked on the Moon and indeed all the Apollo astronauts will have died.

I think the manned space program got sidetracked with the space shuttle and the space station. NASA currently does not inspire alot of confidence or any sort of vision.
Old 02-17-08, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

this is a simple answer... (Andrew dice clay)because the b!tch had nothing to offer(andrew dice clay)...
Old 02-17-08, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

We played golf on it and drove a car. What else do you want?
Old 02-17-08, 06:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I think it's pretty pathetic that we haven't built anything capable of making a moon landing since the Apollo program. I mean, good gravy, we had something with less computing power than a pocket calculator today and more thrust than a space shuttle in 1969. WTF! Last I heard we'd destroyed the warehouse that contained all the Apollo plans and that they'd never been digitized so anything we do is essentially starting from scratch.

After reading "Footfall" and reading some more research online, I'd love to see the Orion project actually become reality. It definitely seems like the easiest/cheapest way to get an oribital platform in place - which in turn would make further exploration/construction/etc much easier. It'd really only have to be a one time thing - just put together a sealed environment built around an oil rig or some similar format - and then boost it into orbit as a starting point (the current ISS is freaking garbage).
Old 02-17-08, 06:16 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Howiefan
I've been watching a lot of space programs on the History channel lately and I was wondering how come there haven't been any manned missions to the Moon since 1973?

You would think with today's technology, we could find something useful to do there...

...because the set is in storage, and it's WAYYYY in the back.
Old 02-17-08, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Chrisedge

Have we? I might argue against total loss...But I would love to see what we could to now with space exploration if we did have that desire to achieve!
half of the ipod's tech is not much different from what was developed for the space program and defense in the 1960's and 1970's. TCP/IP, magnetic memory are essentially the same except for being faster and larger capacities.

the C language along with modern databases were also developed around that time and even though they have been updated are pretty much the same. and Java and C# or whatever the Ipod software is written in is largely based on C

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.