Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Why do people put their windshield wipers up before a snow/ice storm?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-12-08, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have begun to notice this more and more. Parking lots full of cars, many with their windshield wipers up in the air at the slightest mention of a snow/ice storm.

I have been driving for 30+ years. I have never done this, I have never had my wipers stuck to my windshield.

Have these people never seen tree branches coated with ice after a storm? Why do they want their wipers coated with ice?
Old 02-12-08, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

People THINK this is a smart thing to do so their wipers don't freeze to their windshield.

I disagree
Old 02-12-08, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just because you've never had your wipers stuck to the windshield doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I have had it happen. I don't stick my wipers up in the air though. It's all good till some jackass kids come along and bend the fuck out of them.
Old 02-12-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think they do it so it's easier to clean the windshield off after it snows. Something like you can just go up to the car and sweep and scrape the window without digging to get the wipers out, etc.

I have seen a lot of car dealerships do this with the cars outside, I guess so they can clean the cars faster.
Old 02-12-08, 12:46 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do it so that it looks like my car is saying "fuck you" to the storm. Or to the other tenants in my building. Either way.
Old 02-12-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

less accumulation on the wipers itself if they are in the air rather than catching everything that slides down the windshield
and as said, easier to scrape the windshield if you got like 6 inches on your windshield and so they dont freeze to your window. The wipers have a big role in snow removal after you have removed the majority of the snow and your face is frozen and you want to get in your car that has been warming up as you remove snow.
Old 02-12-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mopower
Just because you've never had your wipers stuck to the windshield doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I have had it happen.
I am sure they do, I guess it depends on where you live.

In Northern Virginia I think it looks silly, we have not had any really bad/cold/snowy/icy weather here for years and years.
Old 02-12-08, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sometimes the accumulation (re)freezes over the wipers, so it makes sense to have them away from the windshield. It makes the cleanup process easier and the wipers are ready to go.
Old 02-12-08, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
It definitely helps. Especially when the storms start as rain which freezes to ice and then you get snow on top of that. I've had my wipers reduced to a block of ice during storms when I don't put them up. That being said, I only do it when we're expecting about 12"+.
Old 02-12-08, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by noonan4224
It definitely helps. Especially when the storms start as rain which freezes to ice and then you get snow on top of that. I've had my wipers reduced to a block of ice during storms when I don't put them up. That being said, I only do it when we're expecting about 12"+.
That is my exact point. Perhaps these people are from other areas of the country. Already the wipers are up and they are predicting the possibility of some freezing rain.
Old 02-12-08, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
I am in the up-to-make-it-easier-to-cleanup-after-freezing-rain group, though living in Florida for the past 14 years I haven't had to deal with it. I did it in Virginia and then in Germany. I will likely do it in Alaska.
Old 02-12-08, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It makes it easier to clean, but not all wipers can do it. I have never had a car that you could point the wipers up.
Old 02-12-08, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another NOVA resident here and I do it when I remember. I'm not trying to point out how clever I am or anything, but if I pull into my parking lot and I see a few cars with with them up I usually follow. I feel that if it makes cleaning my windshield go a little faster and it's not hurting anybody then who cares. On the other hand there have been days where I put them up in the morning and when I leave not only is the windshield still dry but it's 50 degrees out and sunny.
Old 02-12-08, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Bandoman
I do it so that it looks like my car is saying "fuck you" to the storm.
That's a douchey thing to do, don't ya think?
Old 02-12-08, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah much easier to clean the windsheild... wipers will also create a large block of ice by catching run-off as someone else mentioned...

when i'm at one of the living ranches in Wyoming i always do it...

course you have to thaw the engine oil out with an engine blanket too in rough weather...

like that doozy back in the winter of '96/'97... wow...

snowed for weeks and didn't get above -15 for more that 2 weeks easy... got light frostbite out riding the ATV's in that stuff... hell of a good time... sat outside in the hot tub in the blizzard after that for outdoor activity...
Old 02-12-08, 04:19 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Originally Posted by ukywyldcat
I do it so that it looks like my car is saying "fuck you" to the storm.

That's a douchey thing to do, don't ya think?
All the more reason.
Old 02-12-08, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Whenever I see the a car with their wipers pointing straight up in the parking lot, I take my camera out and photograph them.
Old 02-12-08, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Most of my cars can't do it, and I don't recall ever having much trouble with the snow/ice.

Of course, I never hung a cd from my rear view mirror, and I was getting pulled over every so often. I may not be the best judge of what to do with an automobile.
Old 02-12-08, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We were just covered in freezing rain today (still going on actually)

My car was encapsulated in ice and my wipers were down where they should be
I didn't have any problems getting the windshield clean or having the wipers work
it must be a miracle
Old 03-04-08, 10:45 AM

I only raise my wipers up in the summer so they dont melt to the windshield and to say fuck you to the people who raise them up during the ice storms.
Old 03-04-08, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did you join just to revive a month old thread?
Old 03-04-08, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 4KRG
We were just covered in freezing rain today (still going on actually)

My car was encapsulated in ice and my wipers were down where they should be
I didn't have any problems getting the windshield clean or having the wipers work
it must be a miracle

I just noticed this thread and saw the date, and then couldn't help but wonder if the OP was one of those poor saps who was stuck on I-95 for 5 hours trying to get home from work.
Old 03-04-08, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by j3r3m4
I only raise my wipers up in the summer so they dont melt to the windshield and to say fuck you to the people who raise them up during the ice storms.

What's it like to live on Mercury?
Old 03-04-08, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I just noticed this thread and saw the date, and then couldn't help but wonder if the OP was one of those poor saps who was stuck on I-95 for 5 hours trying to get home from work.
Nope.

I have a rather mundane 4.5 mile commute that involves no interstate travel. The reason I asked the question is because it never fails, as soon as there is the slightest hint of frozen water being forecast, the wipers start to go up on the cars in my buildings parking lot.
Old 03-04-08, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I do it so that it looks like my car is saying "fuck you" to the storm. Or to the other tenants in my building. Either way.
Are those your windshield wipers, or are you just glad to see me?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.