Reload this Page >

School me on health insurance

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-12-08, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm starting a new job that doesn't provide health insurance so I need to get some one my own. I hardly ever go to the doctor so i prefer low premiums with a high deductible. What's the best way to find a plan? Is it worth going through an agent? I've looked at ehealthinsurance.com. Any other sites like that?

Thank you Otters.
Old 02-12-08, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

See if you are eligible for a Health Savings Account (HSA).
Old 02-12-08, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

google your state and medicaid or high deductible plans

some states like NY State allow you to get into their medicaid program with your premiums being dependent on your income and the deductible is pretty high

the downside is mostly crappier doctors

upside is they don't care about previous conditions
Old 02-12-08, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I would agree this would be the best option when you're going it alone and don't really get sick that often.
Old 02-12-08, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Chew
I would agree this would be the best option when you're going it alone and don't really get sick that often.
Yep and a pay as you go type thing with high deductible rather than paying a monthly premium you hardly use if you never go to the dr. Also, with the HSA you are paying your money into yourself, rather than some company and just use it when you need it and the rest is almost like an IRA to get out at 65, I think.
Old 02-12-08, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy
google your state and medicaid or high deductible plans

some states like NY State allow you to get into their medicaid program with your premiums being dependent on your income and the deductible is pretty high

the downside is mostly crappier doctors

upside is they don't care about previous conditions
I assume you (the OP) are talking about an individual plan?

Many working people I've known who haven't been piss-poor have had a hard time getting Medicaid. If you're poor, make no money, have no money, it's a hell of a lot easier. If you're working and try to apply for it as an affordable means of health insurance and they start picking through your bank statements, your declared assets, etc, it can suddently be a lot more complicated. Either way, it's a long process (start gathering your documentation now).
Old 02-12-08, 01:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Venusian
I'm starting a new job that doesn't provide health insurance
+1 to the Democrats.
Old 02-12-08, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dave7393
I assume you (the OP) are talking about an individual plan?

Many working people I've known who haven't been piss-poor have had a hard time getting Medicaid. If you're poor, make no money, have no money, it's a hell of a lot easier. If you're working and try to apply for it as an affordable means of health insurance and they start picking through your bank statements, your declared assets, etc, it can suddently be a lot more complicated. Either way, it's a long process (start gathering your documentation now).

NY expanded the medicaid program to anyone who doesn't have insurance from their employer or spouse. like all the small business owners here.

i know someone who has it and i think all they have to do is submit their tax returns every year and they base the rate on that. that's when a good CPA is worth every penny you pay them.
Old 02-12-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

NY expanded the medicaid program to anyone who doesn't have insurance from their employer or spouse. like all the small business owners here.
Are you talking about "Healthy New York?"
Old 02-12-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
I heartily recommend these. I have health insurance, but I also have an HSA to which I contribute $1200 per year. It covers my copays and prescription copays, which is really handy.
Old 02-12-08, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dave7393
Are you talking about "Healthy New York?"
i think that's what it's called
Old 02-12-08, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I recommend going through an agent/broker because you have ALL the choices available to you. Do NOT go for Mega Health because it's a crock.

What state are you in?

Make sure you use a broker that has all of the insurers to offer you and not just a select few.

I am a broker so I know that you can find one that offers you all of them.

HSAs are not all they are advertised to be. They do have some benefits but they aren't for everybody. You really need to speak with a professional and not take the advice of a select few people. Talk to someone who has the knowledge and know how and the licensing to help you with this. Health insurance is not a one-for-all type of thing. It is very specific to the person who needs it. Please seek the advice of a professional.

People most often don't realize that you have many, many choices.
Old 02-12-08, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wendersfan
+1 to the Democrats.
Not a dem, but this has nothing to do with it. States require that employers pay a certain percentage of the employees premium, which often costs bigtime! Here in Colorado we are required to pay at least 50% of the employees premium. That makes a huge difference when being in business. Especially when taking on 100s of employees.

Just my two cents.
Old 02-12-08, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i think that's what it's called
That's a pretty good plan, but I don't know how many other states have similar programs (i.e. it's not like you get a "Medicaid" card with this plan). I actually had this plan for a short time, and my particular plan was an HMO contract w/pretty good coverage.
Old 02-12-08, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i know someone that has it

there is a big list of doctors that accept it. not the best from Castle Connolly, but a decent list. premiums are like $200 a month and there is alike a $2000 a year deductible but it covers pretty much everything including prescriptions

what happened a few years ago was that a local union here stopped covering spouses of those employed only part time. they didn't stop, but it was part of the latest union contract they negotiated and this part wasn't on the news. they kept it quiet. it took them a few years to audit things, but last year a lot of people started getting notices that their health coverage is ending because their spouses only work part time.

used to be the thing to do if you were self employed is to have a spouse work in a government job or a union job just for the benefits

Last edited by al_bundy; 02-12-08 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-12-08, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by melbatoast

People most often don't realize that you have many, many choices.
Interesting isn't it. You rarely see this anywhere...but in fact it is true.

IMHO there is no availability issue. There may be a cost issue for some, but availability is not an issue.
Old 02-12-08, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also agree that you should seek a professional...but don't give up on a "group" plan so quickly. Group is available outside of work as well. Maybe you belong to group of some sort. Sometimes even alum groups or clubs. You never know. But a pro can help you.

Currently I'm using a Group, HSA plan thru work. Very high deductible policy. But instead of me putting money in the HSA my employer does. And if I don't use all the money from one year it roles over to the next. So far (2 years) I like it. I have had regular group, HMO and now this HSA "type" plan. The absolute best was the HMO. Yea, I know surprising. And yea I used it and used it a lot. But when we moved and it was a different HMO, I decided to try the HSA...so far so good with some moderate use.
Old 02-12-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm in GA. I've contacted an insurance agent (i guess that is what he is) and he's going to send me some plans.

Humana has some HSA plans that look good