Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Help me decide Garage Kitty's fate

Other Talk "Otterville"

Help me decide Garage Kitty's fate

Old 05-08-08, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hmmmm, I don't know... the consensus is that he is pretty ugly. He has already wandered in and all heck broke loose in the house. He is a fighter and I don't think our girls are up to it. It is pretty pitiful when I am in the office and he is sitting in the window meowing though.

The petting thing is the weirdest thing ever though. He craves attention, will rub all over you and even after attacking you will come right back and seek you out again. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a brain tumor or something. That is why I haven't worked too hard to find him another home. It would have to be a very special one. He is not going to be the right cat for just anyone.
Old 05-08-08, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by zoomgirl
I say keep him around....as an outdoor cat. I agree with Mrs. Danger.
Originally Posted by mbs
I vote keep him outside. If you make him outside accomodations, continue to feed him regularly, et cetera and he then chooses to leave, so be it. I'd think he would stick around, especially since he has been around for a week or so already.
Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Have him around as an outdoors cat.
Originally Posted by mndtrp
Keep the cat, outdoors at the least.

And people* say my "keep animals outdoors" rule is insane.

* Specifically that ne'er-do-well Tracer Bullet.
Old 05-08-08, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus

And people* say my "keep animals outdoors" rule is insane.
Most cats do just fine with an indoor life. Sometimes that is not possible, particularly if the cat has grown up living outside or has not socialized well with humans.

All my cats are indoor cats.
Old 05-08-08, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 521 Likes on 245 Posts
Originally Posted by beavismom
Hmmmm, I don't know... the consensus is that he is pretty ugly. He has already wandered in and all heck broke loose in the house. He is a fighter and I don't think our girls are up to it. It is pretty pitiful when I am in the office and he is sitting in the window meowing though.

The petting thing is the weirdest thing ever though. He craves attention, will rub all over you and even after attacking you will come right back and seek you out again. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a brain tumor or something. That is why I haven't worked too hard to find him another home. It would have to be a very special one. He is not going to be the right cat for just anyone.
You would need to separate them at least for the first few days if you bring him indoors. Isn't there any way you could keep him in a bedroom or your office, someplace where there could be a door closed between the other cats and him?

I'm sorry because I know The Bus is probably exasperated, but the guy WANTS to come in. He is old and might be sick. My heart is melting for him.
Old 05-08-08, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You I would trust with him... I will ship him to you . We are already having issues with the other kitties just with him being on the other side of the door all the time. The girls (girl kitties that is) are trying to mark their territory. Fortunately, they aren't very good at it. If he hangs around long enough he may eventually work his way into the house, but I would really love to find him a home where he could be an indoor kitty. It would just have to be a home where they didn't mind the occasional random psycho attack.

Last edited by beavismom; 05-08-08 at 08:16 PM.
Old 05-08-08, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by beavismom
The petting thing is the weirdest thing ever though. He craves attention, will rub all over you and even after attacking you will come right back and seek you out again. I wouldn't be surprised if he has a brain tumor or something.
In my experience with cats, that kind of thing isn't too odd. I have 1 that likes to bite while being petted but still seems content, and another that bites out of nowhere while you're petting him, runs away growling and hissing, then cries for you to come back and pay attention to him, gets back on your lap and starts the whole cycle over again. And another who's almost always sweet, but when he wants to bite while being petted he consistently goes for the jugular.

Actually in my cat experience, what's 'weird' is a cat likes attention in a normal way with no drama. Cats are more likely to be nuts than normal.
Old 05-09-08, 09:46 AM

Would you be able to medicate this cat? If so, talk to your vet about amitryptylene. This is a tranquilizer and can be given long term. It may make it possible for him to calm down and get along with your cats and humans too.
Old 09-30-08, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A weird thing happened last night so I thought I would update this thread. Way back when (ok, May) it was decided that Garage Kitty would live outside and we fed him out there. He continued to get into some kind of scrapes with other animals and had gotten his tail pretty messed up at the time. He disappeared at the start of June and shortly thereafter we discovered a fox family was living a few houses away and our guess was they "got" him.

Well, last night my husband and I were out walking and there was a cat on the other side of the street under the streetlight. I said, "Wouldn't it be funny if it was Psycho Cat?". We called to it and it came running and long story short, it was Psycho/Garage Kitty. He even bit me after I petted him for a few minutes. He looked really good so I am guessing someone took him in to live and that is why we haven't seen him. He seemed to recognize us though and followed us home, but we told him we weren't his people anymore. I am happy he has found a good home and would love to find the owners so that I could let them know he is microchipped and has all his shots, but my hubby is afraid they will want us to take him back.

Anyway, after months of thinking he was dead, we were happy to find out that Psycho/Garage Kitty is alive and well and still biting.
Old 09-30-08, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That's good news!!
Old 09-30-08, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesome news!
Old 09-30-08, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts
Sounds like Garage Kitty has only used five or six of his nine lives. I'm sure he'll be with us for some time yet.
Old 09-30-08, 10:39 PM

Wonderful news! Thanks for updating!!!
Old 01-09-10, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Help me decide Garage Kitty's fate

Originally Posted by Franchot View Post
Sounds like Garage Kitty has only used five or six of his nine lives. I'm sure he'll be with us for some time yet.
I am not sure how many lives Garage Kitty has used up now, but after over a year of not seeing him again I just received a call from someone who found him and tracked me down using the microchip. We will feed him and try to keep him warm, but I am guessing he will be out roaming the neighborhood again soon. This comment is totally in jest, but whoever said cats don't live long outside has yet to meet Garage Kitty.
Old 01-09-10, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 440 Likes on 311 Posts

You can't argue with destiny. I think it's obvious Garage Kitty is destined to be yours.
Old 01-09-10, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 520 Likes on 298 Posts

...from time to time.
Old 01-10-10, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 781 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by beavismom View Post
We called to it and it came running and long story short, it was Psycho/Garage Kitty. He even bit me after I petted him for a few minutes.
I honestly don't get it. Why would you feel affectionate towards an animal whose response to affection is always to sink his teeth into your hand? It's like those women who keep getting into abusive relationships.
Old 01-10-10, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Maybe beavismom is into pain as pleasure?
Old 01-10-10, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
Maybe beavismom is into pain as pleasure?
Old 09-02-11, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, one last update to this thread. Garage Cat (that was the name that stuck, GC for short) passed away sometime last night. It looked like he just stretched out and went to sleep and that is what I am going to believe anyway. He finally decided we were his family and has been with us since the last update. I hope we made his last years a little better and that he felt loved. This update is just to vent my grief since my real life friends are all at work, but if you were part of this thread over the years thanks for coming back to read it again.
Old 09-02-11, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

I took in a cat like this at my office. I thought I did the right thing. Got a littler box, fed it holistic food, etc. I kept it as a moral thing - I would find it sleeping on the pallet racking, it was good for pettin', etc.

When I moved, we found that it had been shitting and pissing on the drop ceiling - for what looked like YEARS. I guess with the dust and everything we never had spots on the ceiling, it never smelled. But there were mounds of cat shit - everywhere. When I moved, the landlord worked the cleanup into his "deposit" (which it's not customary to return a deposit anyways ... fuckin' landlords).

If I had known, I would have rattled the little bastard to where he never came around.

In between moving, I wasn't there for a couple days. After all that, never saw the cat again. What a little whore.

Cats suck. Dogs rule. Lesson learned.
Old 09-02-11, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 521 Likes on 245 Posts

Well, one last update to this thread. Garage Cat (that was the name that stuck, GC for short) passed away sometime last night. It looked like he just stretched out and went to sleep and that is what I am going to believe anyway. He finally decided we were his family and has been with us since the last update. I hope we made his last years a little better and that he felt loved. This update is just to vent my grief since my real life friends are all at work, but if you were part of this thread over the years thanks for coming back to read it again.
((((((((((((((((beav))))))))))))))))))))))) Bless you for taking him in. He went in his sleep (a blessing) in a home where he was cared for and loved. You have done something good. Thank you.
Old 09-03-11, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 51 Likes on 30 Posts

Sorry for your loss, beavismom. I echo Vibiana's sentiments. He had a good home and wonderful time with his new family.

Originally Posted by troystiffler View Post
I took in a cat like this at my office. I thought I did the right thing. Got a littler box, fed it holistic food, etc. I kept it as a moral thing - I would find it sleeping on the pallet racking, it was good for pettin', etc.

When I moved, we found that it had been shitting and pissing on the drop ceiling - for what looked like YEARS. I guess with the dust and everything we never had spots on the ceiling, it never smelled. But there were mounds of cat shit - everywhere. When I moved, the landlord worked the cleanup into his "deposit" (which it's not customary to return a deposit anyways ... fuckin' landlords).

If I had known, I would have rattled the little bastard to where he never came around.

In between moving, I wasn't there for a couple days. After all that, never saw the cat again. What a little whore.

Cats suck. Dogs rule. Lesson learned.
Nice comforting words. I hope people are more sympathetic to you when something or someone you care about dies.
Old 09-03-11, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Some people are more sympathetic to the plight of cats. After one of mine passed in May, I told myself I was swearing them off after the other one died. Literally 2 weeks to the day I had the one put to sleep, I was driving and saw a cat that had been killed in the road. As I drove by, I saw a little black puffball in the weeds.

That's when that sympathetic drive kicked in and some odd $600 later, I've got a 5 1/2 month old that is a lovable pain in the ass (only because he's a kid and agitates the hell out of the old one).

Bless you for beavismom for caring for the creature and giving him some permanence during his final years. I'm sure they were much better than they would have been had you not done what you did. Thank you.
Old 09-03-11, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good story
Old 09-03-11, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, good story, didn't see it the first couple times around. I've always been a dog person first, and growing up on a farm never liked cats in the house...but we always had quite a few barn cats (and a couple litters of kittens to help keep alive every year - from racoons, foxes, tomcats, etc. ) that I liked having around. Parents tore the barn down last year, and now they don't have cats anymore.

I'd love a cat, but now that I'm in the suburbs if I got one it'd have to be an indoor kitty, and I'm just not sure if my border collie would get along with it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.