Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about NJ driver's license

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-11-08, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I (finally) just moved to NJ and have been living in NJ for about 3 weeks. I am only going to be here (THANK GOD FOR THAT) for about 2 years for my work. I was wondering if I have to get a NJ driver's license. I tried to look for this in their DMV website, but I didn't find anything.

I must say, I agree with those of you who warned me about NJ. I hate these jug handle turns and "circle roads". So far, I pretty much hate everything about NJ except for my job.
Old 02-11-08, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't know about NJ laws but in MD I think you can keep whatever state's drivers ilcense you have. I've known people who lived here for over 5 years and still have a different states license.
Old 02-11-08, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.nj.gov/mvc/Vehicle/moving.../license01.htm

If you have recently moved to New Jersey, you must transfer your out-of-state license within 60 days of your move or before your current license expires, whichever occurs first.
Old 02-11-08, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by acubfaninmd
Don't know about NJ laws but in MD I think you can keep whatever state's drivers ilcense you have. I've known people who lived here for over 5 years and still have a different states license.
http://www.marylandmva.com/AboutMVA/....htm#anchor105

As a new resident of Maryland, how long do I have to obtain a Maryland driver's license?
You must obtain a driver's license within 60 days after becoming a Maryland resident. Visit a full-service MVA and bring proof of name, identity, residence, and your out-of-state license, if you are under 18, you must also have a driver education certificate. You must pass a vision test and your license cannot be suspended.
Old 02-11-08, 01:33 PM

I'm pretty sure most states are pretty much the same, if you are an official resident of the state you have to go through their license process. Potentially those in the military on temp assignment might get a wavier, but I think (this is just supposition on my part) that we are talking months not years.

WRT to NJ I found this http://www.nj.gov/mvc/Vehicle/moving_to_nj/index.htm

WRT MD I found this. So if they are a resident of MD they are probably violating the law and will have extra fines/fees tacked on if they are pulled over for anything.
http://mva.state.md.us/AboutMVA/FAQ/....htm#anchor105
As a new resident of Maryland, how long do I have to obtain a Maryland driver's license?
You must obtain a driver's license within 60 days after becoming a Maryland resident. Visit a full-service MVA and bring proof of name, identity, residence, and your out-of-state license, if you are under 18, you must also have a driver education certificate. You must pass a vision test and your license cannot be suspended.
Old 02-11-08, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

thanks man.... and we hate you too
Old 02-11-08, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Don't forget the photo regulations: you need to hit the tanning salon, get your hair spiked and highlighted, and if you sport facial hair you must trim it into one of the approved configurations.
Old 02-11-08, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, if you posted hear about moving to NJ, we probably warned you it was not such a great place.

If you go to get your NJ drivers license just make sure that you have like every single possible piece of identification that you can come up with. Definately go to the DMV ( or whatever they call it now ) website and see what you need. They have this point system where differant id's count for differant things and you have to have a certain number of points.

It might be easier to just drive around with your out of state license. As long as it is current I would think that they probably woulnd't give you that much of a hard time about it. Unless you start to get a bunch of tickets where they can see that you have been here for more than 6 months.
Old 02-11-08, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
and if you sport facial hair you must trim it into one of the approved configurations.
That is only for the women.
Old 02-11-08, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't forget the photo regulations: you need to hit the tanning salon, get your hair spiked and highlighted, and if you sport facial hair you must trim it into one of the approved configurations.

not to mention shots of "Yaga" Bombs
Old 02-11-08, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Don't ever become a lawyer. Being convicted of malpractice sucks.
Old 02-11-08, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Consider buying an IROC as well.......
Old 02-11-08, 02:44 PM

LOL. You just described about a half dozen ppl I work with.

That sucks. I am only here for 2 years and I HAVE to get a Jersey license?? I can't believe I am saying this, but I miss TN.
Old 02-11-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by raven56706
not to mention shots of "Yaga" Bombs
As well as getting loads of pussy. If they don't put out... SKANKS!
Old 02-11-08, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Originally Posted by Sildenafil
LOL. You just described about a half dozen ppl I work with.
For more Jersey Couture pointers...
Old 02-11-08, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The DMV for NJ is about the 6th level of hell. They recruit the most unpleasant people ever, stick them in a cage, and then force them to deal with people every day. Watch out!!