Old 02-10-08, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is Wrong with the Chinese?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...icle_id=512657

Starring horse-riding lions, the Sickest Show on Earth
Last updated at 21:00pm on 6th February 2008

Comments Comments (40)
Just when it seemed that the Chinese had plumbed the depths of animal humiliation, along comes something even worse.

The country which gave you bears riding bikes now proudly presents ... lions and tigers on horseback.

In one of the nation's most notorious zoos, applauding spectators are treated to a bizarre display as a 30-stone lion leaps on to the horse's back.

Then it rides around the ring while a trainer with a whip keeps it moving.

After that, a 35-stone tiger climbs up on the same terrified steed for its turn in the limelight.

The shocking pictures come from the animal park at Xiamen in Fujian, south-east China, where the public seem to delight in humiliating circus-style stunts and have no regard for animal cruelty.

Conditions are poor, with big cats including lions, tigers and leopards and other large animals including bears kept in solitary confinement in tiny cages.

Elsewhere in the country, bears ride bicycles at an "Animal Games" in Nanjing.

At the Xiogsen Bear and Tiger Mountain village in Guilin, live animals are fed to tigers as a show for tourists. Bears pulling cars in a race with a strong man caused anger after the bizarre stunt was shown in Jinan last year.

In a display in Changchun, a tiger is put in a cage with an ox while muzzled so it tries to attack its prey but cannot kill it, producing an agonising and long-drawn-out battle.

Save China's Tigers, a charity which has a branch in the UK, campaigns to save animals trapped in the country's zoos.

It carries out public education schemes in China to raise awareness .

And it aims to free tigers from their cages, set up breeding programmes and reintroduce the proud creatures to the wild after teaching them how to hunt for themselves.
Old 02-10-08, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Man, it's a good thing the circuses here in the US do such a great job with their animals.
Old 02-10-08, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, in SF, we let them jump out of cages and kill zoo visitors. I'm not sure if that is a "trick" or "hunting for themselves."
Old 02-10-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i've seen elephants made to step on little steps and dolphins jump through rings for food. how is it any different?
Old 02-10-08, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
That's pretty cool.

As a treat for keeping it's balance the lion should get to eat the horse after the show.
Old 02-10-08, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by al_bundy
i've seen elephants made to step on little steps and dolphins jump through rings for food. how is it any different?
Those steps aren't turtles and the rings aren't krakens' mouths.
Old 02-10-08, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The look on the face of that horse...

heh

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Adt6wCSTGbg&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Adt6wCSTGbg&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 02-10-08, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I'm against cruelty to animals for entertainment purposes.

However, that picture is fucking BADASS!!!
Old 02-10-08, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Brent L

heh

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Adt6wCSTGbg&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Adt6wCSTGbg&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
I want to see the tiger eat the man.
Old 02-10-08, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OldDude
Yeah, in SF, we let them jump out of cages and kill zoo visitors. I'm not sure if that is a "trick" or "hunting for themselves."
Yeah, we sure do. We just open the cage, and direct them to the nearest innocent, sober, and mature patron available.
Old 02-10-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good thing the Chinese are so good at treating their own people with respect and dignity. That way we can concentrate on injustices like this!
Old 02-10-08, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Now, now, no one "opened" the cage. They just use fences 4 feet shorter than recommended, so the animals learn to jump well. It is an important skill in the wild.
Old 02-10-08, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Leave no animal behind.
Old 02-10-08, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

just for a quick history reference...

one of the largest draws for entertainment in California used to be shipping in exotic animals from around the world... putting them in a large pit with a grizzly bear, and seeing which one could kill which... it was wildly popular... exhibitions would be written about regionally and even nationally...

gorillas, tigers, jaguars, lions, other bears... etc...

of course the grizzly killed all of them...

the one where the grizzly snapped the backbone of a large male african lion was a national story i know...

we americans have always had a hell of an animal entertainment thing going ourselves... and we still do... in many ways...

that picture is cool as hell... horse looks kinda freaked out... i wonder what he's thinking... "a freaking LION is on my back you sick bastards!!!"...
Old 02-10-08, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Brent L

heh

The article makes it seem much more inhumane than the video does. Like someone said before...

Old 02-10-08, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If they really wanted to impress me they'd be having the horse be riding around on the lion or tiger.
Old 02-10-08, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And what are we gonna say/do when the lion bites or eats the horse one day?
Old 02-10-08, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
Good thing the Chinese are so good at treating their own people with respect and dignity. That way we can concentrate on injustices like this!
Old 02-10-08, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
just for a quick history reference...

one of the largest draws for entertainment in California used to be shipping in exotic animals from around the world... putting them in a large pit with a grizzly bear, and seeing which one could kill which... it was wildly popular... exhibitions would be written about regionally and even nationally...

gorillas, tigers, jaguars, lions, other bears... etc...

of course the grizzly killed all of them...

the one where the grizzly snapped the backbone of a large male african lion was a national story i know...

we americans have always had a hell of an animal entertainment thing going ourselves... and we still do... in many ways...

that picture is cool as hell... horse looks kinda freaked out... i wonder what he's thinking... "a freaking LION is on my back you sick bastards!!!"...
I never heard that before, but I would want to see it. Snapped backbone? Damn.
Old 02-10-08, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What's wrong with the chinese?

Communism.
Old 02-10-08, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Especially Communist Zoos!
Old 02-10-08, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm really, really surprised that the lion wasn't made into either a soup or an aphrodisiac.
Old 02-10-08, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-10-08, 10:27 PM

My question is how does one train these animals to do this?
Old 02-10-08, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth

You know, I've seen it mentioned more than once where some guy kills a bunch of people in some sick and/or perverted way, and when they look back at his life, they often find he had abused animals as a child. Scale that up to the population of China, and tell me that doesn't bother you a little bit?

It's all part and parcel, if you can stop one facet of the cruelty, it makes it that much easier to stop the rest.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.