Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Question for anybody that can answer it?? Albuquerque NM

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-09-08, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So last week i flew in to Albuquerque NM and when we were landing i saw something kinda weird off to the left of the runway on the approach. I have tried to find out what it was but i cannot. Here are the cordinates from google earth

35*01'47.80" N 106*33'27.36" W
Old 02-09-08, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The coordinates ain't workin' in my Google Earth.
Old 02-09-08, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: under the stars with a great view of the mountains and a the lovely aroma of cow shit.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...&t=h&z=17&om=0
Old 02-09-08, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay. No idea.
Old 02-09-08, 02:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It's an EMP simulator at Kirtland AFB. Basically, it's used to test nuclear blast effects on planes and such. It's known as "The Trestle".
Old 02-09-08, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I found this online after toms explanation. I am curious as to how tom knew this info.

http://www.lasergeomatics.com/projec...tleProject.cfm

High Definition Surveying - Air Force Weapons Lab Transmission Line Aircraft Simulator

Kirtland AFB, Albuquerque, NM
Van Citters Historic Preservation (VCHP) contracted with Laser Geomatics, a division of Bohannan Huston, Inc., to provide high-definition surveying for the Kirtland AFB AFWL Transmission Line Aircraft Simulator as part of VCHPís contract to create Historic American Engineering Record (HAER) drawings for the Air Force.

The structure was scanned using Laser Geomaticsí HDS 2500, a Leica Geosystems LIDAR laser scanner. Ground-based LIDAR was chosen as the means for spatial data collection on this project due to the complexity of the structure. This structure, a 12-story wooden trestle approximately 1000 feet long built in the mid-70ís, was part of the AFWLís ongoing research to understand electromagnetic energy and its effect on aircraft.

Spatial data information on close to 10,000 structural members was collected, as well as surface information on the area directly around the structure. Once the spatial data information was back in the office, a complete three-dimensional digital model was created from the data. In addition, the spatial information defining the transmission lines surrounding the structure were collected and modeled as well. After the model was created, full-size two-dimensional HAER drawings were created to satisfy the requirements of the HAER recordation process.

The scanning portion of this project took approximately 8 days and included 90 scans from different locations. Bohannan Hustonís surveying group provided the control necessary to align the scan data into state plane coordinates. The three-dimensional modeling of the structure took approximately 10 weeks to complete. The two-dimensional HAER drawings required one month to complete. A unique requirement of this contract was the creation of a digital fly-through and an animation of the electromagnetic pulse using the digital 3-D model.

The following pages have examples of the project deliverables in this order:
Post-processed scan cloud of the AFWL Aircraft Simulator
2-D HAER drawing created from the 3-D model
Rendered image of the AFWL Aircraft Simulator

Last edited by damn_skippy; 02-09-08 at 02:18 AM.
Old 02-09-08, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Just did a little searching around like you did. When I noticed that it was on/near Kirtland AFB, that helped out. I've worked at a few Naval Air Stations in my Naval career. At first I thought it was a facility used for testing jet engines. What's funny is that I found a forum that posted a similar question as yours. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a way to get the sat-photo viewer, that they posted, to work. The coordinates they posted were close to yours too so I knew I was close.

Those are pretty cool pictures in that article you found.

Oh, did you know that Kirtland AFB has the largest nuclear storage facility in the world? I guess that's why the UFOs love NM
Old 02-09-08, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TomOpus
Oh, did you know that Kirtland AFB has the largest nuclear storage facility in the world? I guess that's why the UFOs love NM
No, I didn't know that.
Old 02-09-08, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ack, just noticed I left out a word in my post. I guess that's what I get for posting late.

I should've said "Oh, did you know that Kirtland AFB has the largest nuclear weapon storage facility in the world?"
Old 02-09-08, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Storage facility... not number stored. It's mostly empty.
Old 02-09-08, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just wanted to make the distinction that it's used for warheads rather than waste. In case that mattered to anyone.
Old 02-09-08, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

if you ever fly in again go to Cervantes... Link... it's near the airport...

that rig is pretty cool looking IRL huh?...
Old 02-09-08, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TomOpus
I just wanted to make the distinction that it's used for warheads rather than waste. In case that mattered to anyone.

I suspect it will be used to store waste... if it isn't already.

It would be a good place for it.