Reload this Page >

"Clear cups are for water only"

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-07-08, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to McDonalds tonight and the lady in front of me ordered 3 glasses of water for her kids and received three little clear cups, she went to the soda fountain and filled them up with a coke, lemonade, and a fruit punch. Have you ever asked for a glass of water and filled it up with soda/tea/juice?
Old 02-07-08, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Only if there 2 girls near and I only have 1 cup....
Old 02-07-08, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mankal
I went to McDonalds tonight and the lady in front of me ordered 3 glasses of water for her kids and received three little clear cups, she went to the soda fountain and filled them up with a coke, lemonade, and a fruit punch. Have you ever asked for a glass of water and filled it up with soda/tea/juice?
I've never done it, and as an adult, I'd be embarrassed to do that in front of my kids, having them see that I was a sneak. If they're bottomless drinks, she could always buy one if she wants to save some money, and have them share it ane keep refilling it (maybe a little tacky, but not outrageously sneaky). Kids usually have no problem doing what they're parents do, so I hope she doesn't mind.

On a related story, my son (7 y.o.) and I were picking up a pizza, and as were waiting for it, he said he wanted a drink from the cooler, but then a few minutes later he told me that he changed his mind. It turns out that after I paid for the pizza and when we were halfway home, he pulls out the drink. I was a bit pissed until I found out that he simply changed his mind and thought he'd told me (which makes sense for him), but I told him we didn't pay for it, and that we needed to. The next time we went in together (we go there fairly regularly), I said that we forgot to pay for the drink, and paid for it then. I'd rather have my kids see that type of behavior then me trying to save a few bucks by stealing soda. Little things like that really matter.

Last edited by Dave7393; 02-07-08 at 11:23 PM.
Old 02-07-08, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Fill it up with Sprite, LDO
Old 02-07-08, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No, I wouldn't cheat the restaurant.

But what pisses me off is when I want water, and they won't give me a bigger cup instead of one of those clear little cups, because they think I'll steal their Coke.
Old 02-08-08, 12:24 AM

Yes, I've done it - when I was something like 16 and stupid. No adult should do that simply because you look like a total d-bag.

And I agree with ukywldcat, when I want water, i don't want to get up and get more after every three bites of food.
Old 02-08-08, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I actually did it for the first time a few weeks ago. I always get water but the cleaning lady was chatting it up with another coworker in front of the machine and then starts cleaning it so I got tired of waiting and got some coke instead.
Old 02-08-08, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Dave7393
On a related story, my son (7 y.o.) and I were picking up a pizza, and as were waiting for it, he said he wanted a drink from the cooler, but then a few minutes later he told me that he changed his mind. It turns out that after I paid for the pizza and when we were halfway home, he pulls out the drink. I was a bit pissed until I found out that he simply changed his mind and thought he'd told me (which makes sense for him), but I told him we didn't pay for it, and that we needed to. The next time we went in together (we go there fairly regularly), I said that we forgot to pay for the drink, and paid for it then. I'd rather have my kids see that type of behavior then me trying to save a few bucks by stealing soda. Little things like that really matter.
You're a good honest dad Dave...Hopefully your kids will be the same
Old 02-08-08, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dave7393
I said that we forgot to pay for the drink, and paid for it then. I'd rather have my kids see that type of behavior then me trying to save a few bucks by stealing soda. Little things like that really matter.
Nice work. I'm just glad they didn't treat you like Uncle Leo in the bookstore episode of Seinfeld.
Old 02-08-08, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by ukywyldcat
But what pisses me off is when I want water, and they won't give me a bigger cup instead of one of those clear little cups, because they think I'll steal their Coke.
It's less about you stealing the coke, and more about them tracking drink sales (they use the cups to do this).
Old 02-08-08, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wouldn't be too upset about people doing that. I'd be more upset with restaurants charging $2.00 for 20 cents worth of coke.
Old 02-08-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

yah ive done it, but my friend working at the counter told me it to just get soda instead of water. I guess thats something like half way in between
Old 02-08-08, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Mopower
I wouldn't be too upset about people doing that. I'd be more upset with restaurants charging $2.00 for 20 cents worth of coke.
It's even worse than that. The estimated cost of a 42 fl oz soda is just over a nickel.

http://www.diet-blog.com/archives/20...rsize_soda.php
Old 02-08-08, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I couldn't see myself scrounging like that. My dignity is a little more important to me than saving a dollar on soda or being self-righteous about the place making a huge profit on soda sales.
Old 02-08-08, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ukywyldcat
No, I wouldn't cheat the restaurant.

As seen above their concern is quite valid. It probably pisses them off just the same that you refuse to buy either a soda or bottle of water and want something for free.
Old 02-08-08, 10:10 AM

I remember years ago seeing a single father with about 5 kids at a food court in the mall. He bought one pizza and 1 large drink, and then asked for 5 small cups. He then proceeded to divide the soda into 5 drinks for the kids.

At the time I thought it seemed really cheap, but now that I have kids and know how expensive they are, I think it is pretty smart.
Old 02-08-08, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

when I see someone doing this I report it to the employees, and the customer usually gets asked to leave.
Old 02-08-08, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lunatikk
when I see someone doing this I report it to the employees, and the customer usually gets asked to leave.
I can almost guarantee this would not happen at a large fast food chain, maybe at a mom&pops place.
Old 02-08-08, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
As seen above their concern is quite valid. It probably pisses them off just the same that you refuse to buy either a soda or bottle of water and want something for free.
So you don't like it when people just drink the tap water at a restaurant? I can understand walking in and wanting free water without buying food, but if they want water, I don't see why it's a big deal, although then I wouldn't complain about the cup size.
Old 02-08-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
So you don't like it when people just drink the tap water at a restaurant? I can understand walking in and wanting free water without buying food, but if they want water, I don't see why it's a big deal, although then I wouldn't complain about the cup size.
That is an easily distinguishable situation. At a restaurant, you are served, rather than self-serve. There's no chance that you'll steal a soft drink.
Old 02-08-08, 10:47 AM

No, thats not true with me, that is. If they have bottled water, I'd buy it, and not ask for free water. Places like In and Out don't offer bottled water, so I'm forced to drink tap. Then they won't give me an adult sized cup.

If they are pissed that I don't drink sodas and want water with my meal, they can eat a bag.
Old 02-08-08, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Some places will actually charge you 25 cents for the cup if you just ask for water.
Old 02-08-08, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jadzia
Some places will actually charge you 25 cents for the cup if you just ask for water.
Personally, I don't think there is anything wrong with that.

And in places that refused to give me an adult cup, I've offered to pay for the cup, and the look I get is that they are dumbfounded by my offer.
Old 02-08-08, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It probably pisses them off just the same that you refuse to buy either a soda or bottle of water and want something for free.
Or maybe I want something that isn't loaded down with caffeine and sugar?
Old 02-08-08, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by nateman241
This doesn't bother me nearly as much as when people sneak food into the theatre, just so they don't have to pay for stuff at the concession stand.

Cheap bastards!

That doesn't bother me at all. Considering how great movies look on DVD on our big screens, theaters are fortunate to have us there. So I don't want to pay $7 for a box of candy that retails for $1 at the grocery store. They can bite if they don't like it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.