Reload this Page >

Looking for a place to get my snowboard tuned in Chicago

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-07-08, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know of a good reputable place to get this done in the city, preferably the north side? I found some places in the suburbs, and some places in the city just do skiis. Anyone have any experience with a shop?
Old 02-07-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Tune a snowboard? Isn't it just a slab of wood or fiberglass or composite?
Old 02-07-08, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It means waxing the base and sharpening the edges. But I guess if you can get it to perfectly hit certain notes that would be a plus
Old 02-07-08, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.insiderpages.com/s/IL/Chi...owboardDealers
Old 02-07-08, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
register and ask here: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8 seriously, you will find the best place by asking there.
Old 02-08-08, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by drmoze
Tune a snowboard? Isn't it just a slab of wood or fiberglass or composite?

That's the same thing I was thinking. "What the hell is tuning a snowboard?"
Old 02-08-08, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If you actually like to ride on your snowboard (as opposed to leaving it in the closet), it definitely needs regular tuning. Waxing most frequently, edge sharpening occasionally, and full tune with base grind every now and then.
Old 02-08-08, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm admittedly clueless about snowboards. But now I know--you can tune a snowboard, but you still can't tuna fish!
Old 02-08-08, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

by the way, the same exact thing for skis.
Old 02-08-08, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by LurkerDan
register and ask here: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8 seriously, you will find the best place by asking there.
well that did nothing. all i got was jokes about "tuning my board" ie. looking for prostitutes
Old 02-08-08, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rocketsauce
well that did nothing. all i got was jokes about "tuning my board" ie. looking for prostitutes
bullshit. first of all, you didn't post it in the forum I linked you to, but in any case there were answers to your question: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...hlight=chicago

I never said they would be nice about it, but they did answer even though you did not post in the right place (there was a reason I linked you to the forum I did).
Old 02-08-08, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Old 02-08-08, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

a. i stopped checking the thread after it looked like the direction was going away from what i wanted. Now i see there was some help

b. i followed your link then signed up. i was brought to the main forum list and figured you linked me to the snowboard forum. how is this wrong. it was a question about snowboarding ergo that's where i posted it.
Old 02-08-08, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

a. i stopped checking the thread after it looked like the direction was going away from what i wanted. Now i see there was some help

b. i followed your link then signed up. i was brought to the main forum list and figured you linked me to the snowboard forum. how is this wrong. it was a question about snowboarding ergo that's where i posted it.
It isn't wrong per se, I didn't realize that after registering it would take you to the forum list. It's just that place has a culture that is, ahem, unique. It's a super fun forum, filled with lots of funny people and lots of great skiers and photographers, but it is unique (and admittedly has some dicks), with almost all moderation coming from users (ie, there really is no moderation, the inmates run the asylum). Thus, newbs are routinely flogged for newbish behavior (like posting stuff in the wrong forum). The main forum, which is what you posted in, is where the worst offenders and ribbing occur. Tech Talk, which is what I linked you to, is for technical questions and has a much higher signal to noise ratio.

In any case, you did get some good answers. And if you are curious about the forum, it is worth your time if you like snow sports, but read this first: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=20100 I would have linked you to that thread first, but thought if I linked you to Tech Talk that you could maybe bypass the initial -- but classic -- TGR JONG experience.
Old 02-10-08, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I tune my own. It's relatively easy, cheaper, and makes for a relaxed project.
Old 02-11-08, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mndtrp
I tune my own. It's relatively easy, cheaper, and makes for a relaxed project.
I have but i live in an apartment in downtown chicago so its not really conducive.

By the way i dropped mine off at Windward Sports (3317 North Clark Street)
Old 02-11-08, 06:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I won a 500.00 snowboard in a raffle during the super bowl.
anyone want to buy it.
Old 02-11-08, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have but i live in an apartment in downtown chicago so its not really conducive.

By the way i dropped mine off at Windward Sports (3317 North Clark Street)
By the way i really recommend this place. when i went in the lady i initially talked to told me they were out of wax and couldn't guarantee that it would be done by the time i left on my trip. a sales associate overheard and said he had some of his own personal wax there and that he would just use that on my board. very cool staff there and they aren't the too cool the room types either.
Old 02-11-08, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

By the way i really recommend this place. when i went in the lady i initially talked to told me they were out of wax and couldn't guarantee that it would be done by the time i left on my trip. a sales associate overheard and said he had some of his own personal wax there and that he would just use that on my board. very cool staff there and they aren't the too cool the room types either.
good service is a plus, though I have to say I am somewhat concerned by a ski/snowboard shop that is out of wax!
Old 02-11-08, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

they got completely slammed by tunings and waxings. i just talked to my friend who is going on the trip with me and he called them saturday and they told him they wouldn't have wax until at least wednesday. looks like i lucked out by going in.

in fairness to them it's a busy time and they did have more wax ordered they just said they couldn't guarantee it would be done when i needed it.