Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Ever traveled using Eurail?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Ever traveled using Eurail?

Old 02-06-08, 09:08 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Big-D
Posts: 273
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever traveled using Eurail?

We are planning on going to Italy this Spring. We will be flying into Rome and then using a Eurail pass to go to Venice, Florence and Milan.

I was wondering how the experience is to use the Eurail.

Did you enjoy it?
Was 2nd class and 1st class quite a difference?
As for luggage, what is the largest bag that can be brought on?
A roll around or one of the larger bags?

All I can find for an answer is a bag that you can easily handle.

Thanks
Old 02-06-08, 09:23 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: in da cloud
Posts: 26,196
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
secondi was OK

you should go Rome > Florence > Venice > Milan
Old 02-06-08, 09:26 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Big-D
Posts: 273
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by al_bundy
secondi was OK

you should go Rome > Florence > Venice > Milan

It would have to be :
Rome > Florence > Venice > Milan> Rome

And we only have 15 days, and we don't want to rush things.
Is that enough time to really see that many cities?
Old 02-06-08, 09:46 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Near Philly--Go Flyers!!
Posts: 1,674
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have done Eurail before. You are taking shorter trips so second class would be fine. The only time first class really pays is overnight trains.

Since you are doing roundtrip from Rome I would recommend heading up to Florence as soon as you get there and spend the last few days in Rome.

Personally I would skip Milan and spend the extra days down on the Amalfi Coast or up around Lugano instead.
Old 02-06-08, 11:58 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 1,010
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fishdude
I have done Eurail before. You are taking shorter trips so second class would be fine. The only time first class really pays is overnight trains.

Since you are doing roundtrip from Rome I would recommend heading up to Florence as soon as you get there and spend the last few days in Rome.

Personally I would skip Milan and spend the extra days down on the Amalfi Coast or up around Lugano instead.
I agree with skipping Milan, but the Amalfi Coast should not be missed. One of the most beautiful places I have ever seen.
Old 02-07-08, 12:12 AM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 111
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Count me as #3 for the Amalfi Coast. Absolutely stunning...

I also loved Florence. As for the Eurail, it's pretty standard. I don't remember any weird rules or anything like that. It was definitely a nice way to see the countryside, particularly around Florence and Tuscany. One last tip: don't try to cram too much into your time there. I know it's tempting, but I promise that you'll enjoy the things you do get to see a lot more if you're not exhausted and get to spend more than 30 minutes at each place.

Have a great trip!
Old 02-07-08, 09:22 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Big-D
Posts: 273
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Count me as #3 for the Amalfi Coast. Absolutely stunning...

I also loved Florence. As for the Eurail, it's pretty standard. I don't remember any weird rules or anything like that. It was definitely a nice way to see the countryside, particularly around Florence and Tuscany. One last tip: don't try to cram too much into your time there. I know it's tempting, but I promise that you'll enjoy the things you do get to see a lot more if you're not exhausted and get to spend more than 30 minutes at each place.

Have a great trip!

Thanks for all the replies guys,

I googled the Amalfi Coast. It is stunning, but I'm not sure how we would be on time for that many areas and having to go south of Rome and then head north.

Even so, I wouldn't even know when to start in that area. I wonder if we can just use one of our days just to ride the train to that area and then within the same day head up to Venice or Florence.

Can anyone suggest if thetrains will only allow air travel sized carry ons or will they allow the larger luggage to be brought onto the planes? Do they have baggage compartments?
Old 02-07-08, 12:23 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Lake Ridge, VA
Posts: 6,300
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They do have areas to store larger pieces luggage and the do allow for full-sized pieces of luggage. Many stations also have large lockers so that if you want to make a visit for a few hours between hotel stops, you can store your stuff.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.