five women shot to death at ill. store

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-03-08, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hunt on for man who shot 5 at Ill. store

TINLEY PARK, Ill. - Police were searching for a man they said fled a clothing store in a Chicago suburb where five woman were shot to death during an apparent robbery.

Officers swept through neighboring shops at the Brookside Marketplace strip mall, aisle by aisle and with guns drawn, shortly after the shootings Saturday, but found no trace of the gunman.

Attempts to find him with dogs and a helicopter equipped with infrared sensors also failed, authorities said.

Officers found the victims, including at least one employee, at the back of the Lane Bryant store after receiving a 911 call around 10:45 a.m, police said. Chief Mike O'Connell said a bystander told officers he had seen a stocky black man, about 5 feet 9 inches tall, who was wearing a black winter coat, a knit cap and dark pants, leave the store.

Authorities said robbery was believed to be the motive. The store did not have its own security camera, O'Connell said, but investigators were trying to determine if there was video from cameras mounted at nearby stores.

"We do not want to compromise any evidence that may be out there ... I ask we keep family of the victims in our thoughts and prayers," he said.

In a Target store across the parking lot from Lane Bryant, terrified customers were herded to the front as police with pistols and rifles drawn went up and down the aisles and into storerooms searching for the gunman.

"I was so scared I couldn't think," said Selena Kujawa, who had just entered the store with her 5-year-old son when it was locked down. After about an hour, customers were told to leave.

"They told us to get in our cars and get out of here," Kujawa said.

Kujawa said her son was still asking about the shooting long after they had gotten home.

"He asked `What happened to the people? Did they catch the bad guy?'" she said. "There will be lots of nightmares tonight."

The Lane Bryant was open at the time of the shootings. Police would not identify the victims, but said they ranged in age from 22 to 37. Four were from suburban Chicago and one was from South Bend, Ind.

The family of Carrie Hudek Chiuso, 33, of Frankfort, said she was one of the victims.

"She is the most wonderful person, and that maniac took a piece of all of us," Jennifer Hudek, Chiuso's sister-in-law, told the Chicago Tribune for a story posted on its Web site Saturday.

Chiuso, a 1993 graduate of Homewood-Flossmoor High School, was a social worker at the school.

"Carrie was deeply loved by faculty and staff," school spokesman Dave Thieman said in a statement. "She had a real touch with students. The entire H-F family is deeply saddened."

The police chief said no further information would be made available until Sunday afternoon, after forensic exams were completed.

Police allowed shoppers into parts of the strip mall later Saturday, but had cordoned off the store.

The small red and brown brick Lane Bryant is part of a cluster of four or five stores isolated on one side of a large blacktop parking lot, with big box stores including Target and a Best Buy several hundred yards away.

Messages left at Lane Bryant Brand headquarters were not immediately returned.

Lane Bryant is part of plus-size women's apparel retailer Charming Shoppes Inc., based in Bensalem, Pa., which also owns the Fashion Bug and Catherines brands

-I hope the cops find this motherfucker and kill him right on the spot!
Old 02-03-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tinley Park is close to where I live, I rarely go there though. I don't hear a lot about crime in that town.

I think I heard one of the news reports said Bryant's does not have cameras in that store.
Old 02-03-08, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If we would just ban all guns, this sort of thing would never, ever happen.
Old 02-03-08, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

didnt Richard Speck kill 5 nurses in chicago?
Old 02-03-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Originally Posted by True_Story1011
Eight.
Old 02-03-08, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
If this were Manhattan, it would already be national news. Since it's in Chicago, it's got a chance.

When a guy shot all five people at a Hollywood Video here in Albuquerque, no one outside of town ever heard about it.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 02-03-08 at 12:09 PM.
Old 02-03-08, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by True_Story1011
That guy was a complete weirdo. He actually enjoyed being in prison. They had a tape of him on the news about 10-12 years ago, where he is snorting coke, and has man boobs, and is having the time of his life being a prison bitch.
Old 02-03-08, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
This was a tough story to hear on the news. I can't believe this sick fuck bastard motherfucker hasn't been caught yet. I mean WHY? Take the money, if robbery was really the motive, leave the people alive and unharmed, then go.

Why the need to kill everyone?
Old 02-03-08, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Death penalty.
Old 02-03-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by ukywyldcat
If we would just ban all guns, this sort of thing would never, ever happen.
I disagree. you can ban, tax, do whatever you can to "ban" firearms, but the underground purchases will never cease to exist. It will be harder, but there's always going to be something available.

as for being on topic. that is a tragedy.
Old 02-03-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mole177
I disagree. you can ban, tax, do whatever you can to "ban" firearms, but the underground purchases will never cease to exist. It will be harder, but there's always going to be something available.
I believe he was being sarcastic.

I'll sum up my thoughts: Death Penalty.
Old 02-03-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why the hell does this stuff seemingly happen in America only (or at least most frequently)? Seriously, what the hell? Take five random women into the back of a typical strip mall store and execute them in cold blood? Where else would that happen? It just happened a few months ago in a friggen Von Maur...
Old 02-03-08, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Why the hell does this stuff seemingly happen in America only (or at least most frequently)?
Because they have suicide bombings instead. Random acts of senseless violence happen everywhere.
Old 02-03-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Why the hell does this stuff seemingly happen in America only (or at least most frequently)? Seriously, what the hell? Take five random women into the back of a typical strip mall store and execute them in cold blood? Where else would that happen? It just happened a few months ago in a friggen Von Maur...
It seems to only happen in American because the American media doesn't report it when it happens in other countries. And it's infrequent enough in America that when it happens, it's news. You won't see new stories about an entire village in Congo being killed with machetes, and you don't see news stories about a woman from Tinley Park being killed in a car crash. The first isn't news because it happened far away. The second isn't news because it happens somewhere in America every day.

Don't mistake the news for the real world.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 02-03-08 at 01:23 PM.
Old 02-03-08, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I live five minutes from there. My mother immediately called everyone she knew to make sure they were okay (we're all good). My heart goes out to the families of the five victims.
Old 02-03-08, 01:49 PM

I hope when the cops corner him, he resists, and gets blown away. That way we don't have to wait for a trial, and for all the appeals to be used.
Old 02-03-08, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 7Keys
Because they have suicide bombings instead.
They have suicide bombings in Belgium?

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
You won't see new stories about an entire village in Congo being killed with machetes
Yes, and the Congo is engaged in a civil war. Could we have a realistic comparison, please?
Old 02-03-08, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dork
Yes, and the Congo is engaged in a civil war. Could we have a realistic comparison, please?
How's this?

http://edition.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/af...a.violence.ap/

JOHANNESBURG, South Africa (AP) -- Hundreds of people gathered Thursday to mourn four black South Africans, including an infant, who were shot dead 10 days ago in a rampage by a white farmer's son in a case that has reignited racial tensions.

Authorities lead murder suspect Andre Nel, 18, seen with head covered, on January 17.

Before the memorial, protesters clashed with police outside the courtroom where Andre Nel, 18, made a brief appearance.

Riot police had to intervene after the crowd tried to push through the gate into the courtroom, where the magistrate postponed the case until February 12.

Nel is accused of driving into the settlement and gunning 10 people down at random. The death toll included a mother and the infant she was carrying on her back
Old 02-03-08, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dork
They have suicide bombings in Belgium?
Those fucking Flemish bastards.
Old 02-03-08, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can't we stick to the First World? Here, I'll help you: There have been high-profile mass shootings in Germany and Australia in the past several years, but overall they seem to be quite rare.
Old 02-03-08, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The crime rate is a lot higher in the US than in most other civilized countries...

Homicide US had been consistently high in homicide rates than most of the Western countries from 1980 2000. Though the rate was cut almost in half in the 90s, it is still higher than all nations without political and social turmoil with the 2000 rate of 5.5 homicides per 100,000 people. Countries entrenched in turmoil like Colombia and South Africa, had 63 homicides per 100,000 and 51, respectively.

In overall crimes (the total of all mentioned crimes), US ranks the highest, followed by Germany, United Kingdom, France, and South Africa.
http://www.nationmaster.com/article/...ound-the-World

And those are numbers from 2006. In 2007, the crime rate in the US (for murders) went up to 5.9.

Last edited by Howiefan; 02-03-08 at 02:29 PM.
Old 02-03-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If this were Manhattan, it would already be national news. Since it's in Chicago, it's got a chance.

When a guy shot all five people at a Hollywood Video here in Albuquerque, no one outside of town ever heard about it.
Couple years ago in Baton Rouge, some idiot killed 5 people, some of them his relatives attending church. It was also on Mother's Day, that made national news, but at least they caught the shooter so the story went away quickly.

Sad story. Some people are just have no regard for life. I have this theory that these types of criminals have killed many other people in the past from random robberies or random fights but were never caught or linked to those murders.
Old 02-03-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Compared to these other civilized countries:

Switzerland: 2.94
South Korea: 2.18
UK: 2.03
Canada: 1.85
France: 1.64
Belgium: 1.50
Australia: 1.28

You can see the full list here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...r_rate#_note-6
Old 02-03-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Those fucking Flemish bastards.
Stupid Flanders.
Old 02-03-08, 02:44 PM

Whenever I get into a debate over the death penalty with rational people or "bleeding hearts," the argument that it costs more to execute them than shelter and provide for them for life always comes up. Just HOW is that? I realize 5.56 ammo has gone up in price due to the armed forces' needs, but seriously, there is no logical way it can cost more! Just how much are those lethal injections? I thought that was the most humane way to kill a criminal. Another argument they give is that the death penalty is not a deterrent to crime or murder. Perhaps that's true (who are they interviewing/conducting their tests on, though, the criminals?) but it's also a way to ensure they don't come close to the opportunity to commit murder again via parole, commuted sentence, etc.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.