Reload this Page >

Cab driver allegedly punches woman

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-02-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw this on Drudge yesterday and thought it was interesting.

How often do people pay cab fare with credit cards? I'd ask the driver first if he accepts credit cards before getting in.

It makes sense for drivers to accept credit cards to deter robbers looking for cash, but I guess more cab drivers are illegals or are sharing shifts with other drivers off the book.

Taxi Rage: Woman Punched For Trying To Charge Ride
Taxi & Limousine Commission Searching For Suspect

NEW YORK (CBS) ― There have been a number of reports of cab drivers balking at customers who try to pay with credit cards, but a woman is accusing a cabbie of actually punching her after she tried to charge a ride.

Tamara Perez tells CBS 2 HD she still can't believe it happened.

The incident happened Tuesday after Perez ran to her East Village home to pick up some papers. Once in the cab, the 35-year-old realized she had no cash the pay the $10 fare. Instead, she pulled out a credit card, but the cabbie wasn't having it.

"He wouldn't let me use the card, he wouldn't press the button," she tells CBS 2. "I said, 'You have to press the button,' and he's like, 'No, no I don't know, I don't know how to use it.'"

Perez says the driver got out of the cab and told her to go get cash. She refused, said she wanted to use the machine and would tip well.

"I tried to walk past him and he pushed me back into the cab. I got up and told him I was calling my husband who is a professional boxer," she says. "I started dialing the phone and he said, 'I give you a punch in the mouth' and he turned around and he socked me in the mouth."

Perez tried to copy down the driver's license number, but mixed up the numbers as he took off. She's hoping police can track down the crooked cabbie.

"I want new york to find him and prosecute him," she says.

Perez called 311 and 911 after the incident and filed complaints.

"We haven't yet identified the driver, but when we do he will be suspended. It is an aberration," says Matthew Daus, Commissioner of the Taxi and Limousine Commission.

Just yesterday, the TLC announced it had launched an undercover operation in place to try and catch cabbies if they refuse to use the credit card machine. Now the NYPD will be getting involved, too.

"When she got out of the car there was some kind of pushing event that she described that we heard initially. Now the story is that she was punched which is an assault, and obviously we will investigate that as an assault," says Police Commissioner Ray Kelly.

The TLC says you should be able to tell if a taxi's credit card system is working by whether or not the machine's display light comes on when you get in a cab. If a driver refuses to use it, call 311.
http://wcbstv.com/seenon/taxi.driver....2.643876.html
Old 02-03-08, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Did she burn dinner?
Old 02-03-08, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He should be easy to find. He's the obnoxious cab driver driving the yellow cab in New York. Why is this so difficult?
Old 02-03-08, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 02-03-08, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

it's a new thing here, soon all taxis will have cc machines and will be required to take credit cards
Old 02-03-08, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Most cab drivers are okay, but some are scum.

I left work early one day because I came down with something. Had to take a cab home because I couldn't deal with the train. The first cab I got into, as soon as I said Brooklyn, he was going off-duty. I was shaking and sweating but I argued with the guy for five minutes.

Second cab I got into took me with no problem.
Old 02-03-08, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"We haven't yet identified the driver, but when we do he will be suspended."
Or fired.
Old 02-03-08, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

"I started dialing the phone and he said, 'I give you a punch in the mouth' and he turned around and he socked me in the mouth."

Even though the guy is an asshole, and deserves to be fired, and arrested, I laughed at this. It's just funny the way he said it.
Old 02-03-08, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Or fired.
Agreed! How is that NOT the only option?
Old 02-03-08, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

She got a free cab ride, she should thank him instead of punishing him.
Old 02-03-08, 10:01 PM

I couldn't help but laugh at the "punch mouth" comment either.
Old 02-03-08, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

POW! Right in the kisser!
Old 02-03-08, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by dieinafire
"I started dialing the phone and he said, 'I give you a punch in the mouth' and he turned around and he socked me in the mouth."
That's New York for you. A friend of mine from New York who used to live out here in California once told me "Out here people say they like you when the really hate you. In New York people will tell you they hate you."

I think this is a similar.
Old 02-03-08, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was just reading something in the paper about undercover enforcement of cabs in New York. In that article they mentioned the credit card thing - all cabs in New York are supposed to accept credit cards, but cabbies hate it because it costs about $3,000 per cab for the equipment (if I remember right), and on a $10 fare the credit card fee is 50 cents, which adds up over the course of a day.

Sounds like this cabbie was one who hadn't upgraded to credit cards.
Old 02-03-08, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Heat
Sounds like this cabbie was one who hadn't upgraded to credit cards.
"He wouldn't let me use the card, he wouldn't press the button," she tells CBS 2. "I said, 'You have to press the button,' and he's like, 'No, no I don't know, I don't know how to use it.'"
Old 02-04-08, 02:38 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If they don't want to take credit cards, why advertise it. I've come across cab driver who ask for cash at the end, fucks me off. Hope they get their beans kicked one day....fuckers
Old 02-04-08, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Fok, yeah.
Old 02-04-08, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Fok
If they don't want to take credit cards, why advertise it. I've come across cab driver who ask for cash at the end, fucks me off. Hope they get their beans kicked one day....fuckers
In New York all hailable cabs are governed by the Taxi & Limousine Commission, which ensures that every single yellow cab in the city follows uniform rules and regulations. The cabdrivers have no choice.

That said, they knew what kind of bureaucracy they were getting into when they decided that driving a cab was a good idea.
Old 02-04-08, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok...so this thread kept getting bumped to the top, so I finally clicked on it. Sorta a let down. I did have a cabbie steal my credit card once, it f'ing sucked. My CC was good about it, and when I called up the cab company and reported what happened, including the two gas stations the guy used my card at (one block down the road, and the other one was one block away from the cab company)...the supervisor went silent and then went, "Ahh...uhm....No!!" and hung up. I was too hungover to bother with them, but I really wanted to file a police report anyway.

Last edited by NotThatGuy; 02-04-08 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-04-08, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by pedagogue
Ok...so this thread kept getting bumped to the top, so I finally clicked on it. Sorta a let down. I did have a cabbie steal my credit card once, it f'ing sucked. My CC was good about it, and when I called up the cab company and reported what happened, including the two gas stations the guy used my card at (one block down the road, and the other one was one block away from the cab company)...the supervisor went silent and then went, "Ahh...uhm....No!!" and hung up. I was too hungover to bother with them, but I really wanted to file a police report anyway.
How did he steal the CC, I got to know how? Was he sneaky about it?
Old 02-04-08, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've used a credit card in cabs, and always told the driver that I'd be generous on the tip (usually adding another $1 to what I'd normally give). Haven't had a problem yet other than some moans.
Old 02-04-08, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
I've used a credit card in cabs, and always told the driver that I'd be generous on the tip (usually adding another $1 to what I'd normally give). Haven't had a problem yet other than some moans.
I say, if they moan about the CC, then don't give the extra tip. I take cabs all the time. If I take a cab from the train station to my house, which I have done tons of times, it should cost me $3.90. Most cabbies drive normal and the price is that, but sometimes I get one that drives slower, hitting this red light, or taking a different route, adding up to more money. I tell them straight up, that they are getting $5, which is a good tip for $3.90, no matter which way they go, or if they are trying to screw me. I've had a cabbie offer a flat rate ride, and they will say $6, for one I know is 3.90, they think I'm a rookie, or something. Some of these guys are scum, if they hate their job so much, then get another one. I don't owe them anything extra than paying my fare, tip is a privilege, not a right.
Old 02-04-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

big deal. I do this all the time and I don't even have a cab!
Old 02-04-08, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dieinafire
I say, if they moan about the CC, then don't give the extra tip. I take cabs all the time. If I take a cab from the train station to my house, which I have done tons of times, it should cost me $3.90. Most cabbies drive normal and the price is that, but sometimes I get one that drives slower, hitting this red light, or taking a different route, adding up to more money. I tell them straight up, that they are getting $5, which is a good tip for $3.90, no matter which way they go, or if they are trying to screw me. I've had a cabbie offer a flat rate ride, and they will say $6, for one I know is 3.90, they think I'm a rookie, or something. Some of these guys are scum, if they hate their job so much, then get another one. I don't owe them anything extra than paying my fare, tip is a privilege, not a right.
Meh, that's a pretty bad attitude. It's a thankless job, and crappy paying to boot. They can only charge so much for gas, and if I have to use a CC for a $10 trip that they get hit with a $.50 charge for, then I feel like I should pay for that convenience.
Old 02-04-08, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Meh, that's a pretty bad attitude. It's a thankless job, and crappy paying to boot. They can only charge so much for gas, and if I have to use a CC for a $10 trip that they get hit with a $.50 charge for, then I feel like I should pay for that convenience.
I used to have a better attitude, but I have been screwed over enough times, so I had to adapt. I always pay with cash for a cab, so there is not that inconvenience. I had taken a cab home, at 4 AM, drunk, and they think that they can drive out of the way and charge me more. I may be trashed, but I still know my way around. They have no right to try to get more money out of me, by driving the worst way to me house. They screw over women more it seems, my roommate once took a cab home, and she does not know directions as well as me, and the trip cost $47, when normally it would be $12. That is a fucking ripoff, they just took advantage, because she did know know her way. If a cabbie is nice, and gets there the best way, then he gets rewarded, but if not then, then they get less.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.