Reload this Page >

Ever have high altitude sickness?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-02-08, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back from a trip to Keystone, Colorado and the high altitude kicked my ass. I was there for about 6 hrs with no problem. Went skiing, ate, felt ok. Then I took a nap. When I woke up, I was having trouble breathing, threw up, sweating and shaking. Went over to the medical center and my O2 level was at 76% which they said was very low. I had to wear an oxygen mask(well it wasn't a mask, but tubes up the nose) for the rest of the trip.
Old 02-02-08, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I've been up to around 15,000 ft and never noticed any adverse reaction. I wasn't up there for as long as you were so maybe that had something to do with it.
Old 02-02-08, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I've been up to around 15,000 ft and never noticed any adverse reaction. I wasn't up there for as long as you were so maybe that had something to do with it.

The mountain/resort was at 11,000 ft. They said people will feel it (if they feel it at all) at about 7000 ft. They also said it doesn't affect everyone (obviously) and it might not affect you on one trip but then affect you on the next
Old 02-02-08, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ah, ok. Years ago I spent a few days at 8,000 with no problems. Maybe I should hit Everest

Oh, sorry to hear your trip got messed up. Hope you were able to have some fun even with the tubes.
Old 02-02-08, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Once on a snowboarding trip to Mt. Bachelor I got vertigo/nauseous, but I had a nasty head cold and I think that threw me for a loop. The next day I was fine and back on the slopes.
I went to 13,000ft at Loveland last February and didn't notice anything, not even shortness of breath. Bring on Everest
Old 02-02-08, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey, we should organize an Otter Meet on Everest.

Do any sherpas post here?
Old 02-02-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Went Colorado in the summer once for a week. Flew into Denver and drove straight up to Winter Park (9100 ft). That night I got a headache, and just couldn't catch my breath. I wasn't out of breath, it's just that each breath didn't "satisfy." I was ok by the next evening.

Then we went up to the Continental Divide and then up to 13000 feet(in a car). Got out and walked up 200 feet to a peak. I just kind of shuffled along. No energy.

I was fine by the end of the week. If I had to do it all over again I would have spent that first night in Denver (sleeping at 5000 ft), then moved on up the mountain.
Old 02-02-08, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by j123vt_99
The mountain/resort was at 11,000 ft. They said people will feel it (if they feel it at all) at about 7000 ft. They also said it doesn't affect everyone (obviously) and it might not affect you on one trip but then affect you on the next
Keystone's base is just over 9000, and its top is ~12000. And yeah, altitude sickness is fickle, it can hit unexpectedly and inconsistently.

There are also plenty of effects that are not "sickness" per se.

Drinking a lot of water and taking aspirin (not ibu or tylenol) can help some, taking it slow at first, not drinking alcohol, basically taking it easy and giving your body time to acclimate, all help a lot.
Old 02-02-08, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've been to the top of Pike's peak, 14000+ feet. Air is mighty thin there; I had no energy and was short of breath, although I managed to walk around the flat plateau at the top. Sure felt good to get below 10000 feet on the way down.
Old 02-02-08, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Not like that. Albuquerque is a mile high city. When I first moved here from sea level, I had a headache for two weeks straight. I occasionally see customers from out of town who are completely miserable and can't even sleep.
Old 02-02-08, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yup. Twice. Both at Keystone within the past year, for two practice group meetings. (That was my answer before reading the first post!) Was drinking a lot of water too. Almost passed out walking across from the lodge to my condo once. Major headaches, felt light-headed, etc. Not fun at all.
Old 02-02-08, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by drmoze
Yup. Twice. Both at Keystone within the past year, for two practice group meetings. (That was my answer before reading the first post!) Was drinking a lot of water too. Almost passed out walking across from the lodge to my condo once. Major headaches, felt light-headed, etc. Not fun at all.
For those of you that did, did you feel better once you got back to a normal level? I've been back home for 24 hrs now. The breathing is all good, but I still feel nauseous. I think it's due to my throwing up when I was there
Old 02-02-08, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It always takes me about 5-7 days to get use to the altitude. Which sucks cause I usually only go skiing 7-10 days at a time. However, I've learned to quicken that somewhat.

1st...drink lots and lots and LOTS of water. As hard as it might be, stay away from the alcohol for the first couple of days if at all possible.
2nd...take a slipping pill the 1st couple of nights. Rest is needed but the altitude can cause you not to sleep or be very restless.
3rd...eat well. Lots of protein, but don't over eat. In fact it works best for me to eat 5-6 times a day but very, very small meals. Like half a burger at lunch and fish or very small filet and steamed veggies for dinner. Protein bars or yogurt or fruit or nuts for snacks in between.
4th...if you regularly exercise, try to do it while there. You will have to go slower or cut the intensity back but try to keep it up.

Your body will adjust you just need to help it along. In August/Sept I spent time in Colorado Springs (which is actually higher then Denver). Travel day there kicked my ass and felt like shit the next day. But must have drank 6-7 bottled waters and forced myself to do my full work out even tho on cardio had to lower the intensity. Each day I felt better and by day 4 I was doing my normal workout and by day 7 was doing it at my normal pulse and pretty much feeling fine.
Old 02-02-08, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have had the bends while flying so I dont fly anymore. Dont think I would take a "Slipping pill", I like balance to much.

+++++++++++
Old 02-02-08, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
It always takes me about 5-7 days to get use to the altitude. Which sucks cause I usually only go skiing 7-10 days at a time. However, I've learned to quicken that somewhat.

1st...drink lots and lots and LOTS of water. As hard as it might be, stay away from the alcohol for the first couple of days if at all possible.
2nd...take a slipping pill the 1st couple of nights. Rest is needed but the altitude can cause you not to sleep or be very restless.
3rd...eat well. Lots of protein, but don't over eat. In fact it works best for me to eat 5-6 times a day but very, very small meals. Like half a burger at lunch and fish or very small filet and steamed veggies for dinner. Protein bars or yogurt or fruit or nuts for snacks in between.
4th...if you regularly exercise, try to do it while there. You will have to go slower or cut the intensity back but try to keep it up.

Your body will adjust you just need to help it along. In August/Sept I spent time in Colorado Springs (which is actually higher then Denver). Travel day there kicked my ass and felt like shit the next day. But must have drank 6-7 bottled waters and forced myself to do my full work out even tho on cardio had to lower the intensity. Each day I felt better and by day 4 I was doing my normal workout and by day 7 was doing it at my normal pulse and pretty much feeling fine.
I was only there for 2 days.. I was asking about recovery time when you are back on 'sea level', but those are great tips.
Old 02-02-08, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh sorry,

You know I don't really every remember having a recovery time coming down. In fact when I left Colorado Springs after about 6 weeks, I had to up my workout a bit at sea level.
Old 02-04-08, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where I live the altitude is 4323 feet. When I go to Disneyland in California, I get just the opposite, low altitude sickness. Being at 15 feet above sea level is almost unbearable. The air is thick, and hard to breathe. Glad to come back home to the mountains after being so close to the center of the earth.
Old 02-04-08, 02:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Hey, we should organize an Otter Meet on Everest.

Do any sherpas post here?
Funny you should mention this. But you missed the 2007 meet. It was a blast.

Old 02-04-08, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by E. Honda
Where I live the altitude is 4323 feet. When I go to Disneyland in California, I get just the opposite, low altitude sickness. Being at 15 feet above sea level is almost unbearable. The air is thick, and hard to breathe. Glad to come back home to the mountains after being so close to the center of the earth.

Didn;t realize the opposite could happen
Old 02-04-08, 09:14 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OldDude
I've been to the top of Pike's peak, 14000+ feet. Air is mighty thin there; I had no energy and was short of breath, although I managed to walk around the flat plateau at the top. Sure felt good to get below 10000 feet on the way down.
I was there in 1990 and had the same reaction - I fel nauseous and light-headed, I couldn't focus or think straight.
Old 02-04-08, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Funny you should mention this. But you missed the 2007 meet. It was a blast.

Sorry I missed that one too.

If I had the money I'd be all over that idea-maybe not Everest (at first), but get a group together and hike some of the mountains around the country, and even around the world.

What better way to enjoy life and challenge yourself physically and mentally, while enjoying the outdoors and camaraderie of friends.
Old 02-04-08, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i had that problem in my country of ecuador....but i have to land there to not have the problem
Old 02-04-08, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I spent a month in Ecuador/Peru and while never had the sickness, I was affected by the altitude. Staying on an island on Titicaca was crazy, ~14000 at the top of it, and I was winded walking from the bedroom to the outhouse. Even brushing my teeth was a chore - and this was after hiking the inca trail and gallivanting in Cusco & Quito for the 3 weeks prior.

The last couple days in Lima were a shock - the air felt like mud and was very thick, but I felt more energized down at sea level.
Old 02-04-08, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just got back from colorado, I usually get a small headache the first day but nothing after that.
Old 02-04-08, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I went to Aspen last weekend and no problem. I had a slight headache but I think that was from the cold I was getting over.