Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Carry-On Luggage: How far to push it?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-28-08, 08:14 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

So I'm flying Northwest to NYC on Wednesday and would appreciate your advice on my situation. I normally bring a 8" x 14" x 22" rolling suitcase and store it in the overhead bin with no fuss; it fits the airline's carry-on size regulations, and I haven't had to worry about checking my baggage in years.

For this trip, however, I'm wondering if I can get away with my next-size-up suitcase at 10" x 17" x 25". I want something to have space for my winter coat and book purchases (I'm going to a writer's conference), and I'm still not keen on checking my luggage.

So the question is: If I bring the 10" x 17" x 25" rolling suitcase as carry-on luggage, am I going to be told it's not possible by the airline?

If this thread eventually becomes a carry-on luggage conversation, I'm okay with that, though I'll appreciate my specific situation being addressed for a while first.

Thanks in-advance.
Old 01-28-08, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dogmatica
So I'm flying Northwest to NYC on Wednesday and would appreciate your advice on my situation. I normally bring a 8" x 14" x 22" rolling suitcase and store it in the overhead bin with no fuss; it fits the airline's carry-on size regulations, and I haven't had to worry about checking my baggage in years.

For this trip, however, I'm wondering if I can get away with my next-size-up suitcase at 10" x 17" x 25". I want something to have space for my winter coat and book purchases (I'm going to a writer's conference), and I'm still not keen on checking my luggage.

So the question is: If I bring the 10" x 17" x 25" rolling suitcase as carry-on luggage, am I going to be told it's not possible by the airline?

If this thread eventually becomes a carry-on luggage conversation, I'm okay with that, though I'll appreciate my specific situation being addressed for a while first.

Thanks in-advance.
They will ask you to stick it into the carry on checker, if it doesn't fit, you will have to check it.
Old 01-28-08, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

http://www.nwa.com/travel/luggage/carryon.html

Seems like your bigger bag is too big. You might be able to gate check it, though. I don't fly NWA too much, and I have no idea what kind of plane you'll be on. I bet you do, though.
Old 01-28-08, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Several options:

1. Plan on the airline catching onto your ruse and making you check it. You'll just have to get over it.

2. Bring your regular suitcase and mail your purchases to yourself. Buy a new winter coat when you get there and give it to a homeless person when you leave.

3. Buy a second ticket.
Old 01-28-08, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wear your winter coat and put it in overhead along with your smaller suitcase. (After all, you are flying Minneapolis to NYC; you're going to need it.)
Old 01-28-08, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
You might be able to get away with taking your bag all the way up to the gate, and then having them set it aside in one of the larger storage areas onboard (but not accessible during flight) - but still not technically checked.

If you're just paranoid about checking stuff period - God help you if you ever fly somewhere for longer than what you can keep in your overnight bag.
Old 01-28-08, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

D00d...after just coming back on a flight where selfish travelers brought huge suitcases as carry-ons, I'd say...if it has wheels...CHECK IT!

It took me forever to figure out a way to store my small duffel in the overhead storage bins because everyone was carrying entirely inappropriate luggage...I don't care what the size requirements are - you should not make other passengers uncomfortable especially on a full flight.

IMNSHO of course.
Michael
Old 01-28-08, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Originally Posted by TomOpus
...Bring your regular suitcase and mail your purchases to yourself...
Originally Posted by OldDude
...Wear your winter coat and put it in overhead along with your smaller suitcase...
Do these. They seem like common sense to me.
Old 01-28-08, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

SInce you are allowed 2 pieces of carry-on luggage, you could wear your winter coat and back a duffel bag in your smaller suitcase. You could use the duffel for the books and other things that you purchase and check two bags on he way back.
Old 01-28-08, 10:58 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Some practical ideas here, thank you. I may have needed to mention I'm also bringing a laptop backpack to stow under the seat, so the additional duffel bag on the way home won't help that much, but mailing the books and what-not back isn't a bad idea. I'll be at the Hilton in Manhattan and they have a package room with FedEx and UPS options.

Perhaps I simply need to get over my stigma of checking luggage.
Old 01-28-08, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry, but as a frequent traveler, I have to bring the "check the damn thing in" soap box. I simply don't understand the issue. Carry on med's, valuables, your laptop and that is it. Check everything else.

I can not stand it when people bring on oversized luggage (yes I blame the airline for letting them as well). I then really get miffed when it is to big/heavy for the person to lift it up to the overhead bin. Honestly, I have refused to help people with to big/heavy of luggage.

What is the "stigma" of checking luggage you have? I travel a lot. I'm often away from home 200 days a year. Now I don't travel travel every week like some road warriors, but about 2 times a month on average. I always check. I just flew from home (Dallas) to Jacksonville for a quick meeting, training. I'll only be here 4-nights. I could have easily carried on (in fact the duffel I used is carry on size). But with the liquid issue and crap, it's just not worth it. I've never had luggage lost. Once delayed, but that has been it.

Especially if you have a laptop backpack! I usually carry my laptop (sometimes 2) in a backpack as my only carry on. And check one bag. I have a smallish duffel or 22" roller or 34" huge duffel. I use one of the 3 on each trip and they are always checked.
Old 01-29-08, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sdallnct
yes I blame the airline for letting them as well
Last week the person ahead of me in line to board a flight to New York had a full-sized suitcase as well as a large garment bag. When the airline employee checked the guy's boarding pass, his eyes kind of bugged out as he saw the luggage and he said "Sir, I don't think all of that's going to fit." The guy literally shoved past him, yelling "It fit on the way over!" over his shoulder as he got on the plane. I couldn't believe the airline employee let him get away with it. I was really hoping to see the air marshal drag that jerk kicking and screaming from the plane.

I would just check a bag. Like someone said, with the liquid rules it's just not worth going with just carry-ons. I've rarely had to wait any longer than five minutes at baggage claim.
Old 01-29-08, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My mother would disown me if she ever heard I checked in luggage. It's a real sickness with her.
Old 01-29-08, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I do the Newark to DFW flight a lot and I'm sick of how many people bring freaking carry-on luggage on the flight. There's NEVER enough room for any other bags in overhead. Just check the damn things!
Old 01-29-08, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

YOu might be able to do a gate check, which is no big deal..

Or just use 2 small carryons. Your allowed 2 carryon bags.. Use your suitcase and medium size duffle bag..
Old 01-29-08, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

though I'll appreciate my specific situation being addressed for a while first.
Why don't you want to check your baggage?
Old 01-29-08, 09:27 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't read the thread (I read only the thread title), but if you ask me you should push your carry-on luggage all the way to the airplane. Otherwise it won't make it to your destination with you.
Old 01-29-08, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ANDREMIKE
YOu might be able to do a gate check, which is no big deal..

Or just use 2 small carryons. Your allowed 2 carryon bags.. Use your suitcase and medium size duffle bag..
Not "technically" true. The new "rule" is ONE carry on and ONE smaller personal item. Typically that smaller personal item is a small back pack or purse. You should not be allowed to bring on two 20" rolling bags for example. Technically they are both carry on's, but you are only allowed one.

Of course enforcement and actual rules vary by airline.

From the AA site,

Q: What are the carry-on baggage restrictions for domestic flights?
A: New FAA security measures now limit customers on all AA flights to one carry-on bag plus one personal item. All carry-on pieces, including laptops, must fit either underneath the seat in front of you or in an overhead bin. All portable electronic devices, including laptops, must remain off during taxi, takeoff, approach and landing until we arrive at the gate and the seat belt sign is turned off. The one carry-on bag must fit in an overhead compartment or under the seat. It should not exceed 45 linear inches (length + width + height) or weigh more than 40 lbs/18 kgs.

Last edited by Sdallnct; 01-29-08 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-29-08, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by stevevt
I don't fly NWA too much

Old 01-29-08, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fiver
D00d...after just coming back on a flight where selfish travelers brought huge suitcases as carry-ons, I'd say...if it has wheels...CHECK IT!
I dunno. If it's a 22" or smaller (the max size for most airlines), even with wheels, it fits properly in the overhead, wheels-in. And not everyone has a large carry-on, so it usually works out. What I do object to is someone carrying on this type of case, *plus* a garment bag, and a briefcase. Those people should be stopped at the gate. On my last flight a few days ago, this old guy didn't want to remove his coat from the overhead bin (after the stewardess asked) so someone could put a suitcase up there. That is pretty unreasonable.

Maybe you've never gone on a flight and had your checked luggage mysteriously disappear? That is the main reason most people won't check luggage if they can avoid it. Personally, I usually bring my backpack on board (fits under the seat) and check a suitcase. Although Spirit Airlines charges you for each checked bag now! ($5 each way, in advance, or $10 at the airport.)
Old 01-29-08, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Bandoman
I haven't read the thread (I read only the thread title), but if you ask me you should push your carry-on luggage all the way to the airplane. Otherwise it won't make it to your destination with you.
Methinks that mayhap it's a trick question...

You don't push it! It's called carry-on luggage for a reason afterall...
Old 01-29-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

With liquids etc I just resign to checking my bags in now. I do have a backpack I take with me for a laptop, ipod, books etc.

Anyway wear the jacket try to put the bag on and if necessary they will check it in for you either at the gate or at the entrance to the plane.

Personally I am also getting really sick and tired of all of the luggage people are bringing on as well. Not to mention they have no clue how to stow it in the overhead bin and also blocking the aisles while trying to do so.

Only a couple of my hundred pet peeves I have with flying ...
Old 01-29-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I fly fairly often, though not every week or anything. I used to only do carry on, using a roller bag that was just within the airline limits. A couple years ago, I got sick of having to find space in the overhead bins, dealing with lifting it up, pulling it back down, having the wheels get stuck on the seats going up and down aisles, having to lug it all over huge airports where gates are far from each other, having to stuff my things into the bag in creative ways because the bag was so small, etc., etc. Now I just check everything (except for a small bag for things I need on the plane, like reading material), and traveling has gotten so much easier and less stressful. I have yet to have a bag lost or even delayed. The few extra minutes waiting at the carousel for the bag is worth avoiding all the other frustratrions. Just check the damned thing.
Old 01-29-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To me, it's a matter of consideration for other passengers. As others have noted, this is in short supply, both by passengers and airlines. I fly with a conventional-sized handbag (usually the same one every time, I have a particular bag that has a lot of storage but is compact) and a tote bag containing my medications, some reading material, a few snacks, and a crossword magazine. Everything else gets checked.

It helps nobody when passengers drag on oversized carry-ons and take up more than their fair share of overhead space.
Old 01-29-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
What is the "stigma" of checking luggage you have? I travel a lot. I'm often away from home 200 days a year. Now I don't travel travel every week like some road warriors, but about 2 times a month on average. I always check. I just flew from home (Dallas) to Jacksonville for a quick meeting, training. I'll only be here 4-nights. I could have easily carried on (in fact the duffel I used is carry on size). But with the liquid issue and crap, it's just not worth it. I've never had luggage lost. Once delayed, but that has been it.
I never check baggage because I don't like waiting 30-60 minutes after every flight before I can leave the airport.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.