Reload this Page >

Deep thoughts talk: death and reunions

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-28-08, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending on what religon/beliefs you have, I thought of something the other day while I was at my friend's dad's funeral.

Let's say someone in the family dies. a grandfather. when the time is right for you to pass away and will be reunited with your grandfather do you think you will see him the way you saw him last ? will he see you the last time the way you were when he died?

Let's say you were 12 the time your grandfather passed. when you die, do you think he will see you as a 12 year old or XX-age when you die? (depending on your beliefs of course.)
Old 01-28-08, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

dying is The End. Do any religions really believe that you will see a physcial representation of the grandfather wearing a suit with a hat and a cane (or whatever)? Isn;t it metaphorical and you will see him in a spiritual sense and when you die the soul/spirit split from the body?

Last edited by j123vt_99; 01-28-08 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-28-08, 05:34 PM

i like j123vt's answer. i always thought of it sort of like how it happens in that movie with robin williams, cuba gooding jr called what dreams may come where you are seen how you want to be seen but maybe with a twist that you will see them how you want to see them which may/may not be what they really look like.
Old 01-28-08, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I believe that we will primarily manifest ourselves to others in our body's most perfect state, whatever that may be. Regardless of how we might have looked when we knew someone during our life on Earth, we will recognize loved ones because we knew their spirit.

Feel free to pick this belief apart. It won't bother me because, as the wifey regularly points out, I have no feelings...
Old 01-28-08, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The afterlife is like a Robin Williams movie? What if you haven't raped any children?
Old 01-28-08, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dork
The afterlife is like a Robin Williams movie? What if you haven't raped any children?
then its like a Robin Williams tv show. na-nu
Old 01-28-08, 06:02 PM

According to my understanding of the Bible, when the old order of things has passed away, people will have glorified bodies, which I assume to be healthy adult bodies that show no signs of wear and tear. I don't believe one's perceptions and memories of others or one's desires to be seen in a certain way would have any bearing.
Old 01-28-08, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GrimTangent
According to my understanding of the Bible, when the old order of things has passed away, people will have glorified bodies, which I assume to be healthy adult bodies that show no signs of wear and tear. I don't believe one's perceptions and memories of others or one's desires to be seen in a certain way would have any bearing.
That's how I view it as well. Christ broke the bands of death, and all mankind will one day be resurrected, receiving perfected/glorified bodies.
Old 01-28-08, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I was adopted at an early age. When I die will I be reunited with my natural family or my adoptive family?

It would suck if I'm stuck with my natural family. I don't speak their language
Old 01-28-08, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TomOpus
It would suck if I'm stuck with my natural family. I don't speak their language
Neglect?
Old 01-28-08, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Neglect?
Close...Korean
Old 01-28-08, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mole177
Depending on what religon/beliefs you have, I thought of something the other day while I was at my friend's dad's funeral.

Let's say someone in the family dies. a grandfather. when the time is right for you to pass away and will be reunited with your grandfather do you think you will see him the way you saw him last ? will he see you the last time the way you were when he died?

Let's say you were 12 the time your grandfather passed. when you die, do you think he will see you as a 12 year old or XX-age when you die? (depending on your beliefs of course.)
There is the opportunity for seeing each other at whatever age, as everyone will have the ability to convey their ages. But beyond this ability, your spirit will be the unique factor. Your spirit looks like nothing you've ever seen before, but will be the same as a fingerprint when identifying you as a "person" after this life.

Age is merely a minor point, a futile reference point, which is limited to the current life. After this, age is insignificant. At some point in the future, humanity, if it doesn't destroy itself beforehand, may have finally come to a point where age does not matter as much as it does now.
Old 01-28-08, 09:50 PM
Needs to provide a working email

I'd like to get to see people as they want to be, not glorified at the whim of any god or by my own selfishness. Then again, part of me thinks it'd be creepy seeing them at all.
Old 01-28-08, 09:54 PM

According to the Christian faith we would all be resurrected, or seen in heaven at the age of 33, the age our savior was at his death, it is considered the perfect age. This goes along with what Grim said, only I believe it also goes into detail that our spirit will take on the age of 33, as well as when we are all resurrected.
Old 01-28-08, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You mean death isn't like it was for Rose in "Titanic"?
Old 01-28-08, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just turned 33. No way I am at the perfect age. I pass my prime
Old 01-28-08, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Shit I'm 33 now and I am far from perfect. Too bad JC wasn't 24 - I was in great shape back then.
Old 01-28-08, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the more important question is will I have rock hard abs when I die if I never quite had them alive? It's just that I haven't quite gotten them yet -- and I wonder if my "spirit being" thing is going to be myself at the peak of my manhood if I went to the gym more or is it going to just be the best that I ever actually looked? If it's the latter -- should I work out really hard now, and just let myself go when/if I hit 34?

The only reason this concerns me is because I know there are a lot of young, hot chicks that die single (plane crashes, car accidents, & the like) I'd like to think that I could tag some of that when I get up there, but the whole abs thing would help. Everyone will be able to nab the hot 33 year old gals, I want to score some of the 21 looking ones that died right in their prime. I imagine that may be tough due to the supply/demand issues up there.

Last edited by Mittman; 01-28-08 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-28-08, 11:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What happens if your spouse dies and you remarry and that spouse dies, and then later you die. Which one would you spent "eternity" with.

I;m an athiest, but just curious what others would say.
Old 01-28-08, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by movieguru
What happens if your spouse dies and you remarry and that spouse dies, and then later you die. Which one would you spent "eternity" with.

I've always wondered that too.

I was going to ask the exact same question.
Old 01-28-08, 11:58 PM

Jesus was supposedly asked pretty much the exact same question. http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...3;&version=31;

Last edited by GrimTangent; 01-29-08 at 12:09 AM. Reason: too catty
Old 01-29-08, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Matthew 12:24 And Jesus spake unto him, and said, "Verily, I say, I would choose the redhead. But that is my deal, and thou may be into other stuff."
Old 01-29-08, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by movieguru

Mormon power!
Old 01-29-08, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RForte1189
According to the Christian faith we would all be resurrected, or seen in heaven at the age of 33, the age our savior was at his death, it is considered the perfect age. This goes along with what Grim said, only I believe it also goes into detail that our spirit will take on the age of 33, as well as when we are all resurrected.
Using human references for an age of a rather extra terrestrial being is a little misguided. What about those who die before they reach 33 years of age? I guess we'll see them morphed into 33-year olds by the ultimate aging machine, like we see missing children on America's Most Wanted who have been aged a decade or so? Sounds rather retarded. Actually, sounds like a new alien television miniseries. 33.

Believe me, age won't mean shit when you pass over.
Old 01-29-08, 12:54 AM
Needs to provide a working email

That's actually a really good idea for a sci-fi book/movie/tv show/Bruce Dickinson album. Guy wakes up in a strange land where everybody seems to be 33 years old.

But here's the kicker...

He's DEAD!

Also, the hypothetical remarrier gets to spend eternity with both spouses, but they're each only 16.5 years old.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.