Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Where should we go on vacation? Here are the guidelines...

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-27-08, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I have some frequent flyer miles to use for a free round trip ticket, and also some Marriott Rewards points for free nights stays. We're looking at going somewhere over Memorial Day weekend. Where should we go? Here's what to consider:

1. It has to be somewhere Frontier flies in the continental U.S..
2. The Marriott has to be a category 4 or lower (to qualify for the free nights).
3. We'd prefer it be somewhere we can get around and see things without use of a rental car (shuttles, buses, walking, etc.), but would rent a car if it was worthwhile.

We're somewhat limited with Frontier's routes. San Antonio is a place we've never been and is probably the front-runner, although I don't know exactly what there is to do there. I'm interested in cool photo opportunities and my wife would probably prefer to relax on a beach or by the pool.

So anyone have any suggestions that meet the requirements?
Old 01-27-08, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

j/k

I think there's a thread about San Antonio, so you might find it and see what they say. From what I remember, it wasn't highly recommended.
Old 01-27-08, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
There's always Akron, Ohio. You can photograph the old Goodyear tire factory.
Old 01-27-08, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus

j/k

I think there's a thread about San Antonio, so you might find it and see what they say. From what I remember, it wasn't highly recommended.
I looked at San Diego - all the hotels are too expensive there - I'd only get 1-2 free nights. In San Antonio, I'd have 4-5 free nights. I think I'd rather do San Diego with the kids...there's more for them to do there (Sea World, the beach, etc.).

Anyone know about Memphis or Nashville? I'm not a big Elvis or country music fan - what else is there to do there?

We may just suck it up and drive to Moab again and save the miles and hotel points for a longer, better trip in August or something.
Old 01-27-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
On that list, I'd say San Francisco would have the most to do.
Old 01-27-08, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Except we've done the S.F. thing....the company I work for is based out of San Jose and I've hit the Bay Area several times on trips out there.
Old 01-27-08, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Next time put all the places you have already been so we don't waste our time offering suggestions.
Old 01-27-08, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lots of good places there, I would suggest Rapid City South Dakota. The only bad thing is that you would have to rent a car. You could see Mt. Rushmore, the Crazy Horse monument drive down to Custer state park and see the herds of buffalo, spend a day at Badlands National Park and check out the Mammoth Site in Hot Springs.
All in all you can easily fill up 4 or 5 days there.

http://www.blackhillsres.org/
Old 01-27-08, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Portland would be a good choice. We're known for being a city where you can walk or ride MAX/Trimet to just about anywhere, including to and from the airport.

April is a nice time to visit, usually isn't not raining non-stop, flowers are in bloom and Saturday Market is going on! Lots to see, lots to do.

http://portland.citysearch.com/
Old 01-27-08, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Lateralus
Lots of good places there, I would suggest Rapid City South Dakota. The only bad thing is that you would have to rent a car. You could see Mt. Rushmore, the Crazy Horse monument drive down to Custer state park and see the herds of buffalo, spend a day at Badlands National Park and check out the Mammoth Site in Hot Springs.
All in all you can easily fill up 4 or 5 days there.
We drove there last year with the kids. That area is beautiful and we'd love to go back, from the problem is it's cheaper for us to drive there with our own car than to fly to Rapid City (which really isn't that close to the other places) and rent a car for several days. I think that's one of those extended weekend trips we can drive to (I think it was about 6 hours from here).

Kitty - what is there to do in Portland?
Old 01-27-08, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jason
There's always Akron, Ohio. You can photograph the old Goodyear tire factory.
Old 01-27-08, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just saw Pedagogue's New Orleans thread. I could get 3 free nights there and free airfare for me....hmmmm.......

EDIT: After pricing airfare, car rental, and hotel, we'd be looking at 3 night for about $400. I might even have enough hotel points for a 4th nights, and if I found a free weekend day car rental coupon, I could add a 4th night at the same price.

OK - I think this might be the plan unless I don't travel in March as much as I thought and don't get to rack up the hotel points I need.

Last edited by SleepyW; 01-27-08 at 02:49 PM.
Old 01-27-08, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Once again, the Other forum comes to the rescue!
Old 01-27-08, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

San Francisco would be #1 on my list. Though you've been there and done that.

Not to sound like a homer, but have you considered Washington DC? Frontier flies into Reagan National Airport (the one closest to the city). You could be a short cab or Metro ride into the district. Most of the "touristy" things are Metro accessible. There are a ton of museums -- Air and Space and the Spy Museum would be cool for the kids. The monuments are worth seeing for sure. The city is filled with excellent restaurants. Plus, the weather should be great in May (not too hot like the 4th of July tourists suffer through).
Old 01-27-08, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Austin. Impossible to be disappointed here.
Old 01-27-08, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll nominate Chicago, Seattle, and D.C.
Old 01-27-08, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

one of my favorite places to goto which i try to get to twice a year is myrtle beach as its not overly crowded and plenty places to go.

I usually bring my bike with me and ride around awhile im down there looking for a quiet beach area to nap at.
Old 01-28-08, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Any place BUT San Antonio...Austin is terrific. Portland would be my choice...