Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

does starting a pay pal claim freeze the other persons account?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-25-08, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does an escalated pay pal claim freeze the other person's account? I was ripped off for a small item and started a claim, they want me to send it back with tracking, which will cost more than the entire price of the item... the seller knows this and thinks I will back off probably... but if just the escalated claim in itself has frozen his account, I will settle on inconveniencing him with for a couple couple weeks even if he wins the claim, because he's a power seller.

This was for a PS1 memory card, came to $4 + $3 shipping, he offered buy 1 get 1 free but only sent 1, which didn't even work and made me lose out on 2 hours of gaming
Old 01-25-08, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't believe so.
Old 01-26-08, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
Originally Posted by CloverClover
Does an escalated pay pal claim freeze the other person's account? I was ripped off for a small item and started a claim, they want me to send it back with tracking, which will cost more than the entire price of the item... the seller knows this and thinks I will back off probably... but if just the escalated claim in itself has frozen his account, I will settle on inconveniencing him with for a couple couple weeks even if he wins the claim, because he's a power seller.

This was for a PS1 memory card, came to $4 + $3 shipping, he offered buy 1 get 1 free but only sent 1, which didn't even work and made me lose out on 2 hours of gaming
When you start a claim, no they don't freeze the funds in question.
When you escalate the claim, thats when Paypal gets involved, then that freezes there account funds, but only for the amount in question.
They won't be able to use there account to pay for something unless the negative balance is taken care of. If they receive payment, that goes towards the negative balance. Basically if they don't have funds in there account, the account goes negative. So in a way it does freeze it, kind of.
Old 01-26-08, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Did they refuse to send you the extra memory card when you asked? Seems like such a small item that most sellers would just make good rather than risk negative feedback.
Old 01-26-08, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only after you hit 5% or so in 'disputed' funds.
Old 01-27-08, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only way funds get freezed from your account as a seller that I know of is if the buyer's credit card bank issues a chargeback. Paypal will immediately take funds from you in that case.
Old 01-27-08, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm dealing with this now. I shipped a box to Hong Kong, and after 6 days, the buyer filed a claim. My PayPal account (which was at 0) is now at a nice negative 780! What compounds it is that people have been paying me for other ebay sales, but I'm not getting anything until the prick removes the claim.

Now he says that I did not put his complete name (he didn't enter the name during checkout, so I used the name that showed on all his emails). I hope he can pick up the item, because I need my PayPal money to ship my other sales.
Old 01-27-08, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by achau9598
I'm dealing with this now. I shipped a box to Hong Kong, and after 6 days, the buyer filed a claim. My PayPal account (which was at 0) is now at a nice negative 780! What compounds it is that people have been paying me for other ebay sales, but I'm not getting anything until the prick removes the claim.

Now he says that I did not put his complete name (he didn't enter the name during checkout, so I used the name that showed on all his emails). I hope he can pick up the item, because I need my PayPal money to ship my other sales.
you have to be on drugs to take a paypal payment and ship the item to hong kong
Old 01-28-08, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by al_bundy
you have to be on drugs to take a paypal payment and ship the item to hong kong
well, it was $500 profit on the item, so that was kinda like a drug. The good thing is that once payment was made, I instantly moved it out of PayPal before shipping. I don't expect him to be dishonest, but at least I took insurance on it as well.
Old 01-28-08, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

but now Paypal can send a collection agency after you and ruin your credit

insurance is useless if he is a scammer