Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

2008 Economic Stimulus Package - How Much Will You Get?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

2008 Economic Stimulus Package - How Much Will You Get?

Old 01-25-08, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ok, I'm annoyed that I'm not getting any $$, so I have a question. If the point of this rebate is to stimulate the economy, then why not, instead of passing out a little money to most people and HOPE they spend it on US goods, give ALL the money to 1 person, and have them buy stuff that they know 100% will help the economy?
Old 01-25-08, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Yeah, this is beyond retarded - the people getting money from this deal will most likely use it to pay off debts and buy necessities, hardly stimulating the economy. This money could've been put to so much better use.
Not in an election year it can't.
Old 01-25-08, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

wow, thanks for the info... looks like a family vacation to Disney world, awesome!
Old 01-25-08, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by joeblow69
Ok, I'm annoyed that I'm not getting any $$, so I have a question. If the point of this rebate is to stimulate the economy, then why not, instead of passing out a little money to most people and HOPE they spend it on US goods, give ALL the money to 1 person, and have them buy stuff that they know 100% will help the economy?
Yeah, or instead or sending checks, they could issue some type of "gift cards" that can only be used to buy goods.
Old 01-25-08, 03:00 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by joeblow69
Perhaps it should all be spent on labor to rebuild the country's electical and transportation infrastructure, preferentially hiring people out of work, such as those laid off in the construction industry.
Old 01-25-08, 03:02 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Yeah, or instead or sending checks, they could issue some type of "gift cards" that can only be used to buy goods.
I've suggested using the money to pay large rebates on purchases of American goods up to the amount the government would be paying out in cash with the current plan.
Old 01-25-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cool Kitten
those of us who put ourselves through college and work hard for the money we make-of course we don't deserve the rebates. Because we don't have the same expenses you lower-income losers have, and we don't have to support children, pay off college loans, pay off the mortgage, pay the bills etc.
We're like loaded and do nothing all day except laze around trying to find ways to spend that money that falls out of the sky in our hands.

I worked myself thru college and work hard for my money. I guarantee I work harder than you do. It costs people like me just as much to support children, pay off college loans, mortgages and pay the bills as it does you. It's not my fault you pull over $75,000 a year and act like an extra $600 is going to make or break you.
Old 01-25-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by X
Perhaps it should all be spent on labor to rebuild the country's electical and transportation infrastructure, preferentially hiring people out of work, such as those laid off in the construction industry.

I heard this mentioned somewhere. By fixing/upgrading infrastructure, it would ensure that much of the money would stay within the country.
Old 01-25-08, 03:05 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I heard this mentioned somewhere. By fixing/upgrading infrastructure, it would ensure that much of the money would stay within the country.
That would be the idea. At least the initial money would stay in our economy. Until the workers got paid and went to Wal-Mart.
Old 01-25-08, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mopower
I guarantee I work harder than you do. .
really? You ever had to work 3 14-hour days back to back on your feet while 8 months pregnant with no lunch breaks and no bathroom breaks? Because if you have, they you definitely work harder than me

It costs people like me just as much to support children, pay off college loans, mortgages and pay the bills as it does you. It's not my fault you pull over $75,000 a year and act like an extra $600 is going to make or break you.
it's not going to make or break me, and it's not going to make or break you either. And i can guarantee that i'm paying significantly more taxes than you. So tell me why you should be getting part of your taxes back and i shouldn't, because i'm bankrolling your refund
Old 01-25-08, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk God

I work harder than everyone.
Old 01-25-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

really? You ever had to work 3 14-hour days back to back on your feet while 8 months pregnant with no lunch breaks and no bathroom breaks? Because if you have, they you definitely work harder than me

it's not going to make or break me, and it's not going to make or break you either. And i can guarantee that i'm paying significantly more taxes than you. So tell me why you should be getting part of your taxes back and i shouldn't, because i'm bankrolling your refund

Pretty much

And it's not my fault I was born without a uterus.
Old 01-25-08, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not really an economics guy, but I don't see why they don't just mail the whole 150 mil. directly to the economy.
Old 01-25-08, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

$600

I will split this between my credit card and lasik payments.
Old 01-25-08, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by achau9598
$1800. But, just like the last time the government did this, I'm sure I will receive a nice little postcard that I will have to give to my tax preparer in 09 so I can report this as income.
Not sure if this was answered yet, but in short, this is NOT TRUE. Assuming you are talking about the 2001 tax rebate.

The reason for the "postcard" to report on your 2001 tax return was:

The tax rate was reduced for 2001 income for ths first $6k of taxable income from 15% to 10% = $300 savings for everyone with atleast $6k of taxable income.

However, the rebate was given to everyone as an advance based on 2000 tax returns. But was really for, and based on, 2001 income and taxes.
So the reason for the postcard was really to show on your 2001 tax return that you already got the advance.
If you didn't get the advance in 2000 (because of low incom or dependent in 2000) and had sufficient income and taxes in 2001 you would then CLAIM it on your 2001 tax return.
The postcard was just to ensure you didn't get the $300 twice.
Old 01-25-08, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
I work harder than everyone.
yeah, being a slumlord is a hard job, but someone must do it
Old 01-25-08, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think slave labor in Siberia counts.
Old 01-25-08, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I worked myself thru college and work hard for my money.I guarantee I work harder than you do. It costs people like me just as much to support children, pay off college loans, mortgages and pay the bills as it does you. It's not my fault you pull over $75,000 a year and act like an extra $600 is going to make or break you.

I love when people say stuff like this, it makes me chuckle.

What is with people wanting to make others feel bad that they make a nice living? I'm in debt because of grad school, I still won't have a decent living for awhile, and I don't begrudge those who put themselves in a position to make a nice living.

-p
Old 01-25-08, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pedagogue
What is with people wanting to make others feel bad that they make a nice living?
yeah, makes me wonder as well. Poor me, i work hard and still don't make enough money
Well, maybe you should've picked a better-paying profession then instead of complaining.
Old 01-25-08, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
$600

I will split this between my credit card and lasik payments.
That's not gonna help the economy! I'm tellin' W!!!
Old 01-25-08, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pedagogue
What is with people wanting to make others feel bad that they make a nice living? I'm in debt because of grad school, I still won't have a decent living for awhile, and I don't begrudge those who put themselves in a position to make a nice living.

-p
It's like being jealous of Bill Gate just because he is filthy rich. The guy fucking earned it by producing a product that made money.

I love this analogy I heard last week. "Do you want me to give you a fish for a day or do you want me to teach you to fish so you can eat fish for life?"
Old 01-25-08, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

I guarantee I work harder than you do.
While we are making these ridiculous guarantees I have one as well...

I'll guarantee that 70% or more of the people getting these rebates are getting them because they are LAZY and never wanted to go through the extra time and effort required to get a good paying job that would require that they work long hours. I could have decided to take the easy route and just simply work as a Wal-Mart greeter or something but while I was growing up taking those mundane jobs I was going to school and honing my skills for the future so I can make more and create a better life for my family. The people that worked with me that didn't want to bother going to school or get other skills but instead focused on going home and drinking beer all night are the ones getting these rebates all the while complaining they don't have nice things.

And thus ends my guarantee speech.
Old 01-25-08, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by zuffy
It's like being jealous of Bill Gate just because he is filthy rich. The guy fucking earned it by producing a product that made money.

I love this analogy I heard last week. "Do you want me to give you a fish for a day or do you want me to teach you to fish so you can eat fish for life?"
You just now heard that?

I guess it sort of depends...is my fish as nice/expensive as your fish? I don't wanna be stuck with catfish if you're enjoying salmon! How fair is that?!?
Old 01-25-08, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by zuffy
I think some Hispanic guy said that.
Old 01-25-08, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MartinBlank
You just now heard that?

I guess it sort of depends...is my fish as nice/expensive as your fish? I don't wanna be stuck with catfish if you're enjoying salmon! How fair is that?!?
Just be happy you get to eat

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.