Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

YAET: DirecTV receiver problem, what would you do?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-24-08, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have an ebay situation that i need some help with.

i had an old HR10-250 HD-DVR that i recently sold on ebay. as it's an older model, i am pretty sure that it doesn't work with many of the newer HD stations that are available on DirecTV, but as far as i know that it should work with standard channels and the HD channels pre fall 2007. the buyer received the unit and sent me a message to day that he called DTV and they told him that 'it wouldn't work and that he needed an HR20". i am assuming that he was referring to the newer HD channels from last fall.

i just called DTV, and they told me that the box should work on the standard channels and the older HD channels.

my auction description was this....

"Hello everyone! Up for grabs here is a DirecTV HD-DVR, model HR10-250. This is a great unit and works fine, but I upgraded and have no need for this one anymore. And not only do you get an HD-DVR, but this comes with a bunch of great cables as well. I am including the manual, power cord, the remote, a component video cable, and lastly, an HDMI-DVI cable. Heck, those cable alone can run upwards of $100, so this is a great deal. This unit comes from a smoke free home and will be shipped securely. "

i never stated that it would work with all of the newer channels, just that it was in good condition, etc. so i am wondering what you out there in otter would do?

i will email him back and tell him what DTV told me, but after that i am undecided on what to do. i would tell him that he got what he paid for and probably expect a negative feedback, but i think that i am more worried about paypal. i used delivery confirmation so i know that it got there, but would paypal side with him and make me refund his money?

Last edited by kevin75; 01-24-08 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-24-08, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At issue here is what DirecTV is doing. They are starting to "move" some of their HD channels to newer satellites and the older HR-10's won't work due to the newer MPEG4 encryption. Unfortunately for you - your buyer is correct. So while DTV did tell you it will work with "older" channels what they aren't telling you is they are starting to convert those older channels to the newer satellites thus eventually rendering the HR-10's useless for HD.
Old 01-24-08, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well this is a tough one, since you did not disclose (I know whatever happened to caveat emptor) the fact about the hd channels. The new boxes are at Costco for $169 (at least at mine) so he maybe having buyers remorse. Does he also know he needs to get his own access card and that there is a fee for that?

Yes it will work for all the old channels but none of the new ones, I am still using one olx box myself.
Old 01-24-08, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If he files a dispute, I would be very clear in my response that you never stated it would work on the newer channels. However, the other person could claim that by your saying it works fine that the auction was misleading, although a seller usually has ample time to ask questions before bidding.

I say try to settle it with him before it actually escalates to a claim. At that point, it's out of your hands and up to PayPal to decide. Do you have a problem giving him his money back if he's not satisfied? Did you have any kind of return/refund policy stated?
Old 01-24-08, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yep, the problem lies with the phrase, "works fine". That could be interpreted as "works fine for its intended purpose", which is viewing HD channels on DirecTV. In that case, it is misleading.

How much did it sell for?
Old 01-24-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i don't know if he knows that he needs to get his own access card or not. i will put that in my email response to him. i didn't have any sort of refund or return policy stated.

the only problem that i have giving him his money back is that i want to be rid of the damn thing. i already sold it once, but when the first buyer got it, DTV had their computers screwed up so the couldn't use it (their fault, not mine). only after numerous phone calls, did i get the situation sorted out but he wanted a refund so i gave it to him.

so with this recent buyer, i don't really have a problem with refunding his money, i just wanted to get something out of the unit, instead of just smashing it with a hammer.

EDIT: it sold for about $100.
Old 01-24-08, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you wind up getting it returned to you for a refund, it sounds like you might have to bite the bullet and realize you have an obsolete piece of equipment that nobody is going to want to buy, and just throw it away. It wouldn't be the first time someone has had to discard something that does function, but is no longer practical for newer applications.
Old 01-24-08, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i realize that and i can accept that, but what i guess bothers me is that, i see tons of these being sold on ebay for a wide variety of prices and most of the auctions don't seem to state that it only works on a small number of HF channels, but i have sold this thing twice now and had problems both times.

Last edited by kevin75; 01-24-08 at 02:17 PM.
Old 01-24-08, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I swear to God there was the exact same thread like this in another forum on here. Was that you kevin75? Maybe about two or three weeks ago. I need to see, because if it is you who started that other one, you've changed your story quite a bit.
Old 01-24-08, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Nevermind, it wasn't you. But, here's someone with the exact same problem you are running into. Although, we found his auction, and it's not listed as he said it was.

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....hlight=HR10250
Old 01-24-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
While I think this is largely a "buyer beware" issue, I think as a seller you should have posted the info that it wouldn't work with newer channels. That would have almost certainly influenced the outcome.

What is the buyer asking for? Do they have no use for it at all?

Personally, I'd offer a 25% refund if they want to keep it. If they are totally against keeping it, IMO it comes down how good of a seller you want to be. Personally, if they didn't want it at all. I'd offer them a refund (minus shipping) if they return everything to you in exactly the condition it was shipped, and they pay the shipping back since technically you didn't sell them something defective.

The buyer should have known what they were buying, and I think their share of the blame warrants them losing some cash over shipping both ways.

Regarding Paypal, unless they buyer purchased that satisfaction guarantee or whatever it is they offer, I don't think Paypal would do much for them. Paypal will act quickly in cases of non-receipt claims, but if the item shows as delivered, I don't think they will forcibly take the money from you, unless the buyer successfully processes a chargeback with their bank.

EDIT:

Next time you list - state in big bold letters at the beginning of the listing that it is an older model and can't do all channels. If someone buys it and tries to return it, you can point to the listing and say it was clearly stated. In a case like that they buyer has no right to complain.
Old 01-24-08, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I also agree that it's buyer beware but it's up to the buyer to determine whether the item suits his needs. He should've asked questions. Next time, put in a disclaimer that all sales are final, no returns, and you are not responsible for determining if the item fits the buyer's needs.

One thing he might be able to do is trade it in to DTV. I've read on Fatwallet where people have upgraded their old HD DVRs to the newer one for a small fee or even free if you know how to do it. Usually it involves threatening to cancel service. How successful you are depends on how long you've been with DTV and what service you're getting.
Old 01-24-08, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I dont think most people would know this though. Would you people be fine with everyone selling their Tivo Series 1, saying they work fine if Tivo was going to discontinue it's dial up guide?