Reload this Page >

Ever go ghost hunting?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Ever go ghost hunting?

Old 01-24-08, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ever go ghost hunting?

We're going to be in Chicago, and I want to drive by Resurrection Cemetary for the fun of it. Supposedly, there's a ghost called "Resurrection Mary" that hangs out in the area. I've been wanting to do something like this for awhile, but never really had the easy opportunity.

She just can't have any of our pizza!
Old 01-24-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Go snipe hunting while your there too.
Old 01-24-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

WTF, it's the 21st century!!!!

Why can't you just buy ghost at the supermarket like a normal person?
Old 01-24-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No, ghosts aren't real.
Old 01-24-08, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Those super-natural floaty things that move tea-cups and pens to show they are upset?

Nope.
Old 01-24-08, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by reverie
Ever go ghost hunting?
Yes, I have and here's where I mounted their heads!

Old 01-24-08, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Buncha kill-joys here!

Old 01-24-08, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Bronkster
Yes, I have and here's where I mounted their heads!

Old 01-24-08, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Linda Vista Hospital is a good place to go wandering around to get creeped out in that sort of urban exploration/ghost hunting way.
Old 01-24-08, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 01-24-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Too busy tracking Bigfoot and aliens.
Old 01-24-08, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dork
WTF, it's the 21st century!!!!

Why can't you just buy ghost at the supermarket like a normal person?
Caveat emptor...
Old 01-24-08, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
I've thought about getting with a friend or two and going to some places with stories behind them and seeing what's up. I've gotten into watching Ghost Hunters on Sci-Fi, and I think the biggest thing that fascinates me is the EPV (Electronic Voice Phenomena). I've also scanned the internet for examples of EVP, and it would be interesting to see if I was able to get some of that on my own, just to see if there's any truth behind it. I bought myself a digital voice recorder, so maybe one of these times I'll actually get to go out and use it.

I'm not saying I necessarily believe in any of that stuff, I just find it interesting. I'm the type who will look for a logical, scientific explanation behind anything claimed as supernatural....but it will take me actually experiencing something for myself that I can't explain to make me really believe...and even then I'll probably try to find some kind of explanation for it.
Old 01-24-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes but it was a long time ago
Old 01-24-08, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by covenant

Dude is looking through the wrong side of the window, though.
Old 01-24-08, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Yeah, I didn't get that picture until I scrolled down slightly and realized whatever that was in the window wasn't a smudge on my screen. Looks like the kind of glass that absorbs most of the light from the flash that normally would have lit up the guy walking by, and it makes him look a little hazy and harder to see in the process.

See? I told you I look for logical explanations before saying "ghost".
Old 01-24-08, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Linda Vista Hospital is a good place to go wandering around to get creeped out in that sort of urban exploration/ghost hunting way.
I want to take a trip to Mackinaw Island and go wandering at night. But I want a friend to come... he's the kind that would be freaked out being in a cemetary at night, and I'd love to be witness to that.

I had to look up your hospital. See.. that's the kind of place that'd be great to explore! Myself and a friend tried years ago to go to a closed mental ward in PA, but we were followed the whole time we drove back there by what I'm guessing was security. No police lights or anything.. just a car that followed us until we left the area. My mom has interesting stories about that place when it was open (a field trip there; how they'd howl at the moon; and apparently a naked woman who got out and landed up in our pool...).
Old 01-24-08, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by reverie
We're going to be in Chicago, and I want to drive by Resurrection Cemetary for the fun of it. Supposedly, there's a ghost called "Resurrection Mary" that hangs out in the area. I've been wanting to do something like this for awhile, but never really had the easy opportunity.

She just can't have any of our pizza!

I've heard of it but have never been. Bachelor's Grove cemetery is supposed to be haunted as well but it's very hard to get to.
Old 01-24-08, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Whatever happened with that house for sale where someone was walking through, taking pictures, and then later found a little girl in one of the photos? Seems to me that would be the best place to start a stakeout.
Old 01-24-08, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Many Shubs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Sloar that day, I can tell you!
Old 01-24-08, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave
Too busy tracking Bigfoot and aliens.
Of all the people on this board, I thought you had bagged and tagged a Bigfoot already. You disappoint.

And for the OP, I already had one instance of facing something unexplained. That was enough for me. I'm just glad it didn't decide to kill me.
Old 01-24-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

your better off going to iraq and begin wmd hunting
Old 01-24-08, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rennervision
Whatever happened with that house for sale where someone was walking through, taking pictures, and then later found a little girl in one of the photos? Seems to me that would be the best place to start a stakeout.
I remember that thread! Someone posted a picture of the demon from The Exorcist and it creeped me the hell out (it was late at night when I was reading it...but I'm also a wuss).

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=489342
Old 01-24-08, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes. When i was in Hawaii we went on a late night drive looking for ghosts. There are legends of Hawaiian Ghost Warriors that are found marching at night. We were looking for them and there's another Legend of some Scary Hag that's supposed to appear in your rear view mirror on certain roads. We took Ti Leaves with us as precaution because they're supposed to ward off spirits so maybe that's why we didn't find anything. Either way it was still a fun spooky trip.

I "spoiled" the lengthy article so the post wouldn't be huge.

Hawaii – Home of the Night Marchers
http://www.to-hawaii.com/legends/night-marchers.php

Spoiler:
The Hawaiian Islands are notably one of the most spiritual vacation destinations. With a rich history of mythology and folklore and numerous sacred sites still standing, Hawaii’s link to the past is ever present.

The retelling of spooky ghost tales has been a favorite form of entertainment and an important cultural link in Hawaii since ancient times. Ghostly images or haunting acts have been reported in old buildings, deep valleys, sacred burial sites, ancient temples called heiaus, forested areas, beaches and lava fields. A good majority of Hawaii residents have either had a spooky encounter at some point during their lives, or know of someone with an eerie story to tell. One of the most popular subjects of ghost stories in the islands is the Night Marchers, or Hukai-po.

Who are they?

Night Marchers are ghostly apparitions of a band of beings who move with purpose to the beat of primitive pounding drums. Some say they are armed spirit warriors en route to or from battle, toting archaic weaponry and clothed in decorated helmets and cloaks. Other accounts tell of high-ranking alii (ruler) spirits being guided to places of high importance or to welcome new warriors to join in battle. Perhaps these restless souls are looking to reclaim rightful territory, replay a battle gone awry, or avenge their own deaths. Some say the Night Marchers are searching methodically for an entrance into the next world.

Night Marchers are said to roam through very specific locations on the islands, between seashore and mountains and are often recognized by their raised torches and repeated olis, or chants. Although there have been a few scattered reports of daytime marches, these apparitions appear to be most active at night and are said to march on certain nights designated by the moon. And although the Night Marchers allegedly float a few inches off the ground, some local accounts tell of seeing mysterious footprints in their path after they’ve passed.

Areas like the Nuuanu Pali Lookout, Kaaawa Valley and Kalihi Valley on Oahu are rumored homes of Night Marcher trails, and nighttime visitors are encouraged to be wary. Other alleged Night Marcher sites include:

* Oahu’s Pali Highway in the majestic Koolau Mountains runs along the old battle site of the famous Kamehameha battle, and nighttime visits, especially alone, are not recommended.

* The Kamehameha Schools campus in Kapalama on Oahu, over one hundred years old, is said to have been visited by Night Marchers on many occasions.

* At Kualoa Ranch on Oahu’s windward coast, Night Marchers have been spotted around an area that is said to house the remains of hundreds of Hawaiian chiefs and are said to be responsible for a good many nighttime car accidents.

* La Perouse Bay, an area of the Ahihi-Kinau Natural Area Preserve in South Maui, the restless Night Marchers roam along the hardened lava landscape in search of mischief.

* The town of Kaunakakai on Molokai is rumored to be a Night Marcher hotspot as the remnants of the Ililiopae Heiau, a sacred temple site, are located here.

* Laie on Oahu was a city of refuge in ancient Hawaii, where criminals and offenders of the culture’s strict aikapu religious practices were held. Even today, spirits of soldiers are said to roam the outskirts of Laie in search of possible escapees.

What to do when happening upon a night march in progress? The ghostly procession must never be interrupted. Legend has it that resting your eyes upon the Night Marchers could signal a grim fate for the perpetrator, a friend or relative, so witnesses are urged to crouch low to the ground, “play dead” and avert the eyes. Any sound or movement could invite a Night Marcher’s deadly glance. These Night Marchers are set diligently upon their destination and are not considered spirits that will deviate from their path to haunt humans nearby.

Favorite Nights of the Marchers: Po Kane and Po Akua

Po Kane – in night of the Hawaiian god Kane, chiefs, chiefesses, priests and close attendants march.

Po Akua – on the 14th night of the new moon, spirits of chiefs, warriors, aumakua (ancestors) and Gods march between sunset and sunrise.

Some characteristics of the mysterious night marches include:

* Heavy wind
* Rows of spirits carrying torches
* Alternating male and female rows
* Accompanying lightening and thunder
* Accompanying heavy rain or high surf
* Chanting and drumbeating
* Unusually bright torches
* Game playing and revelry
* Accompanying mist or fog

Other alleged Night Marcher sites:

Moanalua on Oahu
Kahakuloa on Maui
Kekaa on Maui
Hanapepe on Kauai
Hokunui on Lanai
Kapapakiikii on Niihau
Waipio Valley on Hawaii
Hilo on Hawaii
Waipio on Hawaii
Palilua on Hawaii

Ghost tours in Honolulu are quite popular and an organization called GSI Hawaii, Ghost Scene Investigators, offers several eerie tours and ghost story sessions centered around the Night Marchers and other ethereal entities. The tale of the Night Marchers even inspired a 2001 film entitled, “The Night Marchers.” If you’re interested in finding out more about the feared Night Marchers of Hawaii, pick up one of the many local books on the subject of the underworld, or sign up to be a guest in a tour through haunted hotspots.

Even those locals who’ve never seen or heard the restless warriors will tell you they very much believe in their existence. If you happen to be in the path of the Night Marchers and the faint sound of drumming sends a chill up your neck, remember to show the ancient warriors respect through solitude.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-24-08 at 04:47 PM.
Old 01-24-08, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Always wanted to but none of my friends ever want to go with me. What's the fun in ghost hunting by yourself?

I live not too far away from Georgetown, CO which was voted the most haunted town in the US a few years ago...

I'd also like to check out the Stanley Hotel sometime soon.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.