Reload this Page >

I'm losing my favorite kitty

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-23-08, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So I have six cats, which is one over the legal limit where I live, and since I've just been appointed to the Board of Directors of my homeowner's association, being in compliance would probably be good.

I've posted my oldest cat, who really wants to be an only child, and the youngest cat, whom I just rescued in November, on the cyberclassifieds at my place of employment. The one nibble I got on the young tom dried up when his wife wouldn't let him get a cat. Talk about whipped.

So last night my best friend and I are having dinner in a restaurant and the waiter is this really cute, friendly 18 y/o guy. We're flirting with him and joking and doing the fat-middle-aged-ladies-teasing-a-young-guy routine, when I happen to mention that I have six cats, and does he know anyone who wants one.

He says he and his girlfriend have been wanting to get one. I tell him about the young boy and give him my number. His girlfriend calls this afternoon.

It's my own fault. When she balked at being interested in the tom, saying she wants a small cat, I told her about my namesake kitty, Vibiana, who's very petite and also a real lover. Vibiana sleeps on me every night and is the most cuddly of all my babies. She's that way with just about EVERYBODY -- a big selling point -- but along with the others she has become nervous and anxiety-ridden since the boykitty showed up. I have too many cats, plain and simple. They are struggling over my limited turf.

I've had Vibiana since she was 7 weeks old, and she was in terrible shape when I found her. She's very bonded to me, and the idea of losing her makes me feel terrible.

I'm supposed to meet these people tomorrow evening and do the handoff. I am not looking for people to discourage me -- I need support for doing something very difficult, but very much the right thing. I know that Vibiana will be happy in her new home -- these people sound like nice, loving kids who will take good care of her, and I'm sure that she will get plenty of attention and loving. They have already agreed to my terms: no declaw, no outdoor access, and return her to me if things don't work out. I will provide them with all her veterinary records and tell them what kind of food she's used to having.

But I still feel terrible. I need support. You guys have never failed me yet.

Last edited by Vibiana; 01-23-08 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-23-08, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving to cat sub-forum.
Old 01-23-08, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Be sure to tell her new caretakers that you want visitation rights!
Old 01-23-08, 02:22 PM
Premium Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Graftenberg
Moving to cat sub-forum.
Old 01-23-08, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly Vibs I don't know if you are doing the right thing.
Old 01-23-08, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Awwww, I'm sorry Vibs. At least you know she's going to a good home. You're doing the right thing, I understand that it hurts but take comfort in knowing that she'll probably be happier in a less crowded home.
Old 01-23-08, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Honestly Vibs I don't know if you are doing the right thing.
I have to admit that I'm shocked a bit as well, what with all the "my cats are my children" melodrama that inundates Other on a daily basis these days. You're not "losing" anything...you're willfully giving it away.

And for the record, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. The cat will care for about three days, then never remember its old life anyway. It's just the way a cat works. It's the people that like to attach all the emotions to the issue.
Old 01-23-08, 02:36 PM

Noooooooooooooo!

Don't do it!
Old 01-23-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
Awwww, I'm sorry Vibs. At least you know she's going to a good home. You're doing the right thing, I understand that it hurts but take comfort in knowing that she'll probably be happier in a less crowded home.
I second that emotion!
Old 01-23-08, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I have to admit that I'm shocked a bit as well, what with all the "my cats are my children" melodrama that inundates Other on a daily basis these days. You're not "losing" anything...you're willfully giving it away.

And for the record, I don't think there's anything wrong with that. The cat will care for about three days, then never remember its old life anyway. It's just the way a cat works. It's the people that like to attach all the emotions to the issue.
I disagree with your post here. Meesha was tortured by a little boy before we got her, she never got over it and would freak out anytime she saw a little boy. Cats aren't stupid (usually).
Old 01-23-08, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Vibiana
So I have six cats, which is one over the legal limit where I live, and since I've just been appointed to the Board of Directors of my homeowner's association, I will now be in a position to obtain a waiver of the limit.
Fixed!
Old 01-23-08, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF
Fixed!
Don't I wish. Unfortunately, it's a city ordinance, not just our rules. Wyandotte County actually has the most generous policy in the KC metro area -- on the Missouri side, I think you're only allowed two animals in a home.

I feel a little better now having had time to get used to the idea. Really it makes the most sense -- Vibiana is the one who is so full of love she will adapt to any home. She had a rough first few weeks of life, but she's never known anything from me but love. She reacts to everyone with openness and cuddles, and is the only one of my babies that can actually ride in the car with me without being in a carrier -- she will sit on my lap perfectly obediently.

I will definitely demand visitation rights.

Last edited by Vibiana; 01-23-08 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-23-08, 03:29 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts
If you're over the legal limit Vibs, what can you do?
Old 01-23-08, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega
Wait for Animal Control to break down the door and afford me my bid for hoarder immortality?
Old 01-23-08, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would tell the homeowner's association to get stuffed. I wouldn't give up one of my cats.
Old 01-23-08, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega

I don't know, maybe apply for a cattery license or something?
Old 01-23-08, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a good thing they limit you. Otherwise your house could look like this.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mwZR65NDRO8&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mwZR65NDRO8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 01-23-08, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

HOKEY SMOKES, GOOD GAWD & YIKE-SAKES!!!

Talk about a room full of HUNGRY PUSSY!!! &

(DAMN Mrs. D! I've never seen ANYTHING like THAT before! )
Old 01-23-08, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Edit King
Talk about a room full of HUNGRY PUSSY!!! &
Old 01-23-08, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Dear Josh!

I had to do a search on that one!

...and now I wish I DIDN'T!!!

( )

EWWWWW!!!

!!!WARNING!!!

PEEK at yer OWN risk, YA'LL!!!

Spoiler:
'High school student Dawn works hard at suppressing her budding sexuality by being the local chastity group's most active participant. Her task is made even more difficult by her bad boy stepbrother Brad's increasingly provocative behavior at home. A stranger to her own body, innocent Dawn discovers she has a toothed vagina when she becomes the object of violence. As she struggles to comprehend her anatomical uniqueness, Dawn experiences both the pitfalls and the power of being a living example of the vagina dentata myth.'
Who here is gonna wanna HIT THAT is what 'I'd' like to a know!!!

-THEEKSAKE!

Last edited by The Edit King; 01-23-08 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-23-08, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can attest to the fact that this cat definitely has teeth. I've been scratched by her during playtime enough to know that.

I just hope her new people love her as much as I do. She's such a joy, even when she's rubbing against my legs when I get out of the shower, leaving a thin and distasteful layer of cat hair on my shins.
Old 01-23-08, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The deal is off.

I just found out these kids have rocky landlord relations and a drug-dealing ex-roomie. My gut said no and I listened. (It's a big gut. )

Anybody who tells me I have too many cats now can go to hell. I'm keeping them all.
Old 01-23-08, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody who tells me I have too many cats now can go to hell. I'm keeping them all.
You have too
Spoiler:
few
cats
Spoiler:
get some more

Spoiler:
Vib wants more pussy
Old 01-23-08, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The deal is off.

I just found out these kids have rocky landlord relations and a drug-dealing ex-roomie. My gut said no and I listened. (It's a big gut. )

Luckily I don't believe in hell.

I think you have too many cats BUT no way I thought you should give that one away. I think you'd regret it since you clearly are very attached to it. I do think you shouldn't get any more until you have too few cats. We have 3 which I also think is too many but we have room and they're happy and we're happy so fuck it.
Old 01-23-08, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, i'm very surprised that you would even consider giving one of them away.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.