Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

For L. Ron so loved the world that he sent Tom Cruise...

Other Talk "Otterville"

For L. Ron so loved the world that he sent Tom Cruise...

Old 01-16-08, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
http://www.tmz.com/2008/01/16/crazy-...p-being-funny/

Even creepier video...
Old 01-16-08, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
Wow.. Is this real? Is he being serious? Just wow...

Why do you think the Church of Scientology wants the video GONE. They know how wacked Tom is. But they love his wallet. And they love the many new members he sucks in every year.
Old 01-16-08, 08:42 PM
Admin

Received 367 Likes on 235 Posts
Ok Tom is loopy.
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Why do you think the Church of Scientology wants the video GONE. They know how wacked Tom is. But they love his wallet. And they love the many new members he sucks in every year.
I disagree with this. They don't want bad publicity and this video getting all the exposure is bound to give them bad publicity. I'm sure they would love to show it to potential brainwashees, but now that it's circulating they need to get into damage control, so they want to minimize the exposure of the video. It's a very private little club they like to run. This is just too public.
Old 01-16-08, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts
I'm sure they wouldn't mind showing it to their own followers, but they want to prevent outsiders from seeing how much of a freakshow Tom is. As more people see it, more people will associate it with CoS. Which is good, because it would be a parallel truth.

For example, they made up the Freedom Medal of Valor, just for Tom. It's a clear example of a church which caters to the wealthy members like Tom, making them think they are special, when in fact, they laugh at the dumbasses behind closed doors that Tom can't even get into.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 01-16-08 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-16-08, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
pass me the kool-aid!
Old 01-16-08, 09:05 PM
Admin

Received 367 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
I'm sure they wouldn't mind showing it to their own followers, but they want to prevent outsiders from seeing how much of a freakshow Tom is. As more people see it, more people will associate it with CoS. Which is good, because it would be a parallel truth.

For example, they made up the Freedom Medal of Valor, just for Tom. It's a clear example of a church which caters to the wealthy members like Tom, making them think they are special, when in fact, they laugh at the dumbasses behind closed doors that Tom can't even get into.
Agreed.

I have no clue where Tom ranks in the Scientology club. It's all rumors at this point. It's pretty clear that he's not the brightest bulb in the sky despite his ability to act on film.
Old 01-16-08, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
"The way to make a million dollars is to start a religion." - L. Ron Hubbard
Old 01-16-08, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found him to be rather glib in that video...
Old 01-16-08, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Minor Threat
"The way to make a million dollars is to start a religion." - L. Ron Hubbard
I think South Park did the best job of explaining it. The fact that people believe it is what has me convinced human civilization is on it's downside. In Europe, scientology(not gonna even dignify it with a capital S), is considered a cult.
Old 01-16-08, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 154 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Anubis2005X
I found him to be rather glib in that video...
No, but what you don't understand Anubis..... you haven't done the research... I have!

Ha ha.... in all seriousness, it's easy to laugh at this... but I do have to say he's dedicated to his beliefs...and I give him that. The all or nothing approach when it comes to our personal convictions isn't something we see too often nowadays...it's all about convenience and having a title to boast about. I may not agree with him, but his determination is unquestionable imo.
Old 01-17-08, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wonder how we'll see a news clip of all the members found dead in bunkbeds with jump suits and nike cortez tennies.

I also loved the scene where he challenges anyone who apposes... wow!
Old 01-17-08, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
He can't even finish a sentence. He fills the end of each sentence with, "you know", because he doesn't know what to say.

He is not only a raving lunatic, he comes across as colossally stupid, uneducated, and ignorant.
Old 01-17-08, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

kinda prefer this speech more NSFW
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_n2IVF9a2IA&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_n2IVF9a2IA&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
Old 01-17-08, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Artman
The all or nothing approach when it comes to our personal convictions isn't something we see too often nowadays....
Go visit a few Christian message boards.
Old 01-17-08, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Artman
but I do have to say he's dedicated to his beliefs...and I give him that. The all or nothing approach when it comes to our personal convictions isn't something we see too often nowadays....
This trait is all too familiar with fanatical people. Either they be religious fanatics or conspiracy theorists we see them a lot in everyday life.
Old 01-17-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
The interesting thing is how these Hollywood actors who are into Scientology seem to be regular folks. (Even Tom Cruise seemed alright until a few years ago, around the time of his divorce with Nicole.)

Now I just found out Jason Lee is a member. It's so hard for me to imagine that the character of Earl - a regular guy who probably reminds us all of someone we know - is played by a guy who also believes in an alien named Xenu.

A common argument from some is that the story behind Scientology is no less bizarre than Christianity, Judaism or Muslim. But I say that if we just compare the religions as stories and nothing more, Scientology still comes across as a really, really bad sci-fi story. Even if you think all religions are fantasies, the Bible does not read like it was written by Ed Wood.
Old 01-17-08, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There is some more video here.

http://wwtdd.com/post.phtml?pk=3394

Ok this is just scary. Him saluting L. Ron's portrait..classic.
Old 01-17-08, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I read some of those excerpts from the unauthorized biography and one said that Tom got a little peeved when he got to the top of the Scientology ladder only to find out the entire belief system is about aliens. Then he presumably got another injection of whatever shit they have him hooked on and he got over it. Now they think Katie's baby is the reincarnation of L. Ron Hubbard. How could anyone <i>not</i> think this shit is absolutely nuts? And now they've converted Will Smith? Anyone else think they really ARE pod people and the real Tom Cruise and Will Smith have turned into dust?
Old 01-17-08, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rennervision
A common argument from some is that the story behind Scientology is no less bizarre than Christianity, Judaism or Muslim. But I say that if we just compare the religions as stories and nothing more, Scientology still comes across as a really, really bad sci-fi story. Even if you think all religions are fantasies, the Bible does not read like it was written by Ed Wood.
True, Wood would have known that no one would buy the idea of people rising from the dead, others living to almost a thousand, talking animals (and on occasion plants), walking on water, conjuring baked goods out of thin air, etc.

Give Scientology a couple thousand years and we'll have scholars devoting their lives to classifying which of Hubbard's rantings are to be taken literally and which were merely meant as instructive metaphors.
Old 01-17-08, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by rennervision
The interesting thing is how these Hollywood actors who are into Scientology seem to be regular folks. (Even Tom Cruise seemed alright until a few years ago, around the time of his divorce with Nicole.)

Now I just found out Jason Lee is a member. It's so hard for me to imagine that the character of Earl - a regular guy who probably reminds us all of someone we know - is played by a guy who also believes in an alien named Xenu.

Maybe he's not high up enough to know that they have this alien myth. People aren't supposed to know about that. I'm guessing he is told that all the stuff you hear is myths and all that nonsense. Then when they get up there, they are already brainwashed where it doesn't seem too loopy when it's finally revealed.
Old 01-17-08, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
It *used* to be that they held the "alien" knowledge back until you were fairly high in the ranks.

Is that still true? Are people really that clueless? The "alien" stuff has been common knowledge for years now, I thought.

Any religion that involves "secret" doctrines that aren't meant to be known by the general public is, by *definition*, dangerously manipulative and worthy of censure.

Sadly, I think that includes Mormons (and the we're-not-a-religion Masons) as well.
Old 01-17-08, 03:59 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

you know we have our own Scientologist right here in this forum. I know its hard to believe but TheEditKing was once forcibly converted into the ranks of Xenu!

His harrowing tale here:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=428158

Last edited by Save Ferris; 01-17-08 at 04:02 PM.
Old 01-17-08, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by biermacht
This trait is all too familiar with fanatical people. Either they be religious fanatics or conspiracy theorists we see them a lot in everyday life.
There's no doubt in my mind that Scientology is a cult.
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/Library/S...testimony.html

There are other stories just like this one. Start at chapter 5, where she is indoctrinated. It gets worse from there.
Old 01-17-08, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
As bad as Tom is, that damn music is even worse.
Old 01-17-08, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by dork
True, Wood would have known that no one would buy the idea of people rising from the dead, others living to almost a thousand, talking animals (and on occasion plants), walking on water, conjuring baked goods out of thin air, etc.
You're right. That reads more like something by J.R.R. Tolkien. Sounds a lot better than Plan 9 from Outer Space.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.