DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   Death in 3s -- week of Jan 6-12 2008 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/522434-death-3s-week-jan-6-12-2008-a.html)

Aphex Twin 01-12-08 04:58 PM

Death in 3s -- week of Jan 6-12 2008
 
Carl Karcher
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...NDg&refer=muse

Jonny Grant
http://news.my.msn.com/entertainment...mentid=1184709

Sir Edmund Hillary
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...P-hillary.html

crazyronin 01-12-08 05:02 PM


Originally Posted by Aphex Twin

Already mentioned.

The Cow 01-12-08 05:12 PM

That one doesn't work for me (as a "Deaths in 3s"), I had to go to all of the links to see who they were.

starman9000 01-12-08 05:26 PM

I thought there was a more interesting "death in 3s" this week, in that there were 3 incidences of sickos killing their 4 children.

JumpCutz 01-12-08 05:49 PM

Death in 4's I guess. :shrug:

Figure skating champ Scott Bowman...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5445902.html

PopcornTreeCt 01-12-08 07:01 PM


Originally Posted by The Cow
That one doesn't work for me (as a "Deaths in 3s"), I had to go to all of the links to see who they were.

Edmund Hillary?

Th0r S1mpson 01-12-08 07:02 PM

Only three people died in a 6 day period? That's gotta be some kind of record!

drmoze 01-12-08 07:11 PM

Beyond lame. :down: There are no groups of celebrity deaths when the dead people are not celebrities or particularly well-known in any sense. :down:

drmoze 01-12-08 07:16 PM

Moat of the country, and most of the world, do not live in that little slice-of-land-about-to-fall-in-the-ocean called California.

Aphex Twin 01-12-08 07:23 PM


Originally Posted by drmoze
Moat of the country, and most of the world, do not live in that little slice-of-land-about-to-fall-in-the-ocean called California.

What areas are the moat of the country? I've never heard that terminology before.

Aphex Twin 01-12-08 07:26 PM


Originally Posted by drmoze
Beyond lame. :down: There are no groups of celebrity deaths when the dead people are not celebrities or particularly well-known in any sense. :down:

Sir Edmund Hillary is one of the most well-known adverturists in the world, was the first to climb Mt. Everest, and was a huge humanitarian.

Carl Kartcher founded Carls Jr and frequently appeared in their commercials.

Jonny Grant was a huge Hollywood figure and was mayor of Hollywood for a long time. He appeared in many, many walk of fame inductions.

7Keys 01-12-08 09:53 PM

Can we stop this "happens in the 3s" thing yet? Please?

mllefoo 01-12-08 10:02 PM


Originally Posted by drmoze
Beyond lame. :down: There are no groups of celebrity deaths when the dead people are not celebrities or particularly well-known in any sense. :down:

Sir Ed was the only one I didn't have to google. First western man to summit Everest. I thought everyone knew who he was. Don't know about the rest of them, though.

Th0r S1mpson 01-12-08 10:07 PM


Originally Posted by 7Keys
Can we stop this "happens in the 3s" thing yet? Please?

Only if you change your username to "Stop Counting Keys"

j123vt_99 01-12-08 10:43 PM


Originally Posted by mllefoo
Sir Ed was the only one I didn't have to google. First western man to summit Everest. I thought everyone knew who he was. Don't know about the rest of them, though.


Same here.. Although I thought he had done it a looooong time ago. There was a rumor that Hilary Clinton was named after him, so I assumed he had died like 60 years ago.

GeorgeP 01-12-08 10:49 PM

I knew all three without clicking a link. Honestly surprised that some Otters didn't know.

Bacon 01-12-08 10:51 PM


Originally Posted by 7Keys
Can we stop this "happens in the 3s" thing yet? Please?

agree it's 2008 time to start the "happens in 8s" grouping
the death in 3s was fine in 1983, 1993 and 2003 but we're past that now

I'm such a nerd

majorjoe23 01-13-08 01:06 AM

You can add Vampira to the list.

drmoze 01-13-08 09:54 AM


Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
What areas are the moat of the country? I've never heard that terminology before.

"Most" (Freudian slip?) Nice, but weak, attempt at trying to distract from the fact that you started an incredibly lame thread. -ohbfrank- Apart from Sir Edmund (*maybe*) there's no candidate for a celebrity three-death in your post. No Johnny Carson, or Bob Hope, or Jimmy Carter, etc. The non-public founder of Carl's Jr.? And I'm still trying to figure out who the other guy is and why anyone would consider him 'famous.'

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr. 01-13-08 10:02 AM


Originally Posted by 7Keys
Can we stop this "happens in the 3s" thing yet? Please?

yes

Deftones 01-13-08 11:05 AM


Originally Posted by The Cow
That one doesn't work for me (as a "Deaths in 3s"), I had to go to all of the links to see who they were.


Maybe for the 1st two, but I think it's pretty sad if you didn't know who Sir Edmund Hillary is.

Draven 01-13-08 11:47 AM


Originally Posted by GeorgeP
I knew all three without clicking a link. Honestly surprised that some Otters didn't know.

Why? I grew up in Iowa, where Carl's Jr. was called Hardees and we didn't have a Walk of Fame.

I knew Sir Edmund Hilary - since he had world-famous accomplishments to his name, but why in the world would anyone be expected to know the other two?

drmoze 01-13-08 12:20 PM

Carl's Jr is the same as Hardees? I've been to many Hardees.Had no idea who Carl is/was.

Dr. Henry Jones, Jr. 01-13-08 12:47 PM


Originally Posted by drmoze
Carl's Jr is the same as Hardees? I've been to many Hardees.Had no idea who Carl is/was.

Hardees wasn't acquired by Carl's Jr's parent company until the late 1990s. Some are being converted, some aren't.

Rockmjd23 01-13-08 12:51 PM

Yeah I had no idea who Carl was because we don't have any Carl's Jr anywhere near here. I had to look up Jonny Grant too. Personally, I think Vampira was a more important death than them. :D


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 PM.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.