DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   Please don't pull into the right lane at a light if you are going straight... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/522091-please-dont-pull-into-right-lane-light-if-you-going-straight.html)

deadlax 01-09-08 07:28 AM

Please don't pull into the right lane at a light if you are going straight...

You ruin it for everyone behind you who actually wants to turn right. Thank you.

devynal 01-09-08 07:30 AM

Ruin how? By waiting an extra minute?

Brian Shannon 01-09-08 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by deadlax
You ruin it for everyone behind you who actually wants to turn right. Thank you.

Wow :hscratch:

deadlax 01-09-08 07:34 AM

By not using common courtesy on the roads.

Mopower 01-09-08 07:35 AM

I agree. They have right on red for a reason.

al_bundy 01-09-08 07:36 AM

must be NYC transplants

C-Mart 01-09-08 07:44 AM

It may be annoying for you, but perhaps they have a reason. Did you ever think of that? What if a driveway they want is just beyond the intersection? You would ask these people to stay in the left lane and merge with traffic before getting to a close driveway? They make right on red for a reason, and that is to alleviate some congestion where possible. Where right turn traffic is enough they will put in a right turn lane. Just think of it like this... if there are 400 cars that go through one leg of an intersection in an hour, and 25 of those cars turn right (that is probably a high estimate depending on time of day) then you want those 375 cars to only use one lane so that the 25 can have the right lane to make the right on red? That's rediculous. Think about this as well... when sitting at an intersection waiting for a green... I know it can seem like forever, but most intersections are designed with a maximum of... probably 2-3 minutes for a complete cycle (thats all 4 legs). At most, unless your intersection is at capacity and it takes several cycles for you to clear, you will be waiting maybe 4 minutes, and that is only the really big intersections which would typically have right turn lanes anyway.

deadlax 01-09-08 07:47 AM

The scenario that prompted this post relates to an incident this morning. On my way to work I was slowing down approaching a light with my turn signal on. This particular road has two lanes going each direction as well as a protected left turn lane. As I am about 50 feet from the light a car from the left "straight" lane proceeds to pull diagonally into the right "straight/turn" lane.

It's pretty much uncalled for. I can understand a situation where you are making a turn into ~100 feet after the light, but in all other situations, please don't inhibit others ability to travel freely.

And sorry to everyone, I didn't notice race/ethnicity/religion/political stance, so I can't turn it into one of "those" threads.

4KRG 01-09-08 07:52 AM

deadlax - this is just someone with the 'me first' mentality

I have no problem with the 'me first' mentality,BUT if you are always going to move into the open lane, MOVE YOUR ASS!

Don't move into the open lane and block all faster moving traffic by going the same speed as the car you were just behind.

C-Mart 01-09-08 07:57 AM

In the particular scenario you describe I can understand your anger. However, that situation wouldn't happen very often, and again, the through lanes are there to alleviate traffic. Why stick 400 cars in one lane when 200 in 2 lanes will clear the intersection much faster. There's a reason that lane is a through lane and not a right turn lane.

twikoff 01-09-08 08:31 AM

if the left lane is for both straight and left turns.. then screw that

DeputyDave 01-09-08 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by deadlax
The scenario that prompted this post relates to an incident this morning. On my way to work I was slowing down approaching a light with my turn signal on. This particular road has two lanes going each direction as well as a protected left turn lane. As I am about 50 feet from the light a car from the left "straight" lane proceeds to pull diagonally into the right "straight/turn" lane.

It's pretty much uncalled for. I can understand a situation where you are making a turn into ~100 feet after the light, but in all other situations, please don't inhibit others ability to travel freely.

And sorry to everyone, I didn't notice race/ethnicity/religion/political stance, so I can't turn it into one of "those" threads.

Sorry, if I come to a red light I will almost always switch to the shorter line (I will ALAWAYS switch if it is from a multi-car line to an empty one). I'm not trying to be rude, but I tend to accelerate and drive faster than other cars.

Going by your logic most city two lane streets should be one lane straight for 97% of the drivers and one lane to turn right for the 3% of right turners. Since most city blocks are fairly short it would be pointless to drive in the right lane unless you are going to turn because you won't be able to merge back before the next light (especially since the left lane will be bumper to bumper and going 5 MPH).

Pharoh 01-09-08 08:41 AM

Agreeed. There are a number of intersections where there are two 'straight' lanes, a left turning lane, and a majority of drivers desiring to turn right. There is seemingly always one driver ahead of a row of twenty or so just sitting there. It is annoying and usually avoidable.

Draven 01-09-08 08:47 AM

I get in the shortest line, period. Sorry you have to wait two minutes. I'm sure you do things that inconvenience other drivers too (because we all do).

You'll live.

AGuyNamedMike 01-09-08 08:48 AM

I agree with the OP to a point, but there are sooooo many other, worse infractions the asshats inflict on the rest of us every day. C'mon deadlax, what did he do, add 2-3 minutes to your commute? And are you certain he didn't make a right turn into a parking lot or something shortly after that intersection? Let's make sure we apply our "rules" to ourselves first, and stop being in such a hurry. I have been controlling my temper very well, becoming more and more patient each day. I plan to get my CCW this spring, and ridding myself of any trace of road rage was part of my list of self-imposed prerequisites.

Be careful out there.

Vibiana 01-09-08 08:54 AM

Particularly if you're going straight to the Taco Bell, where you will then sit in front of the speaker changing your mind a zillion times while a hard working fat lady waits with diminishing patience behind you. :D

Toad 01-09-08 08:58 AM

If someone's already in that lane and traveling, no problem. Stay there, and I'll wait patiently behind you.

But, like the OP said, if I'm traveling there, with no one ahead of me, and you jerk your car into that lane so you can be "first" when the light hits green, you're a douche.

Not a douchebag, just a douche.

wewantflair 01-09-08 09:02 AM

Depends where you are. The left lane is, especially on highways, designated as a passing only lane. Thus it is actually correct to move into the right lane regardless of its status as a turn-on-red lane.

DeputyDave 01-09-08 09:03 AM

Luckily we live in a Democracy where the right turning elite minority don't oppress the straight driving majority.

McHawkson 01-09-08 09:09 AM

There's no law against that. Just suck it up and be patient.

deadlax 01-09-08 09:21 AM

It has nothing to do with time. I can arrive to work at a reasonable time and leave when the work is finished. But it does have to do with common courtesy. At an intersection where a large percentage (~40%) of the travelers turn right, and there is a dedicated left turn lane along with two lanes for normal traffic, be courteous to others and don't pull from 2nd in line so you can be first in a line that inconveniences 40 drivers behind you.

It's called common courtesy and awareness for fellow drivers. Some people have it, others don't. I hope there's a special place in hell for people that have no problem inconveniencing others for 3 minutes for 3 seconds of their time.

VinVega 01-09-08 09:33 AM

Sounds like the intersection in question needs a dedicated right turning lane if there is really that much right turn traffic. If I'm going straight in a lane that allows both straight and right turns, I have every right to be there as the right turn people. Suck it up and wait or get mad at your county for not providing the proper kind of lane structure at the intersection. Don't get mad at the straight drivers who are perfectly within the law.

deadlax 01-09-08 09:36 AM

I never questioned the laws or someone's "rights." I brought up the notions of consideration and respect. Things that seem to be completely lost in (stolen from the blog thread) the "entitlement" generation (which I am begrudgingly a part of).

Hiro11 01-09-08 09:45 AM

Pah. If it's a right turn -or- go straight lane, and the person in front happens to be going straight, I'd say that's their right.

Of course, if it's just one car going straight and a line of traffic waiting to turn right, the car going straight should make every effort to pull forward slightly to allow cars behind them to turn right.

If that's not possible, people turning right just have to wait. It's no big deal.

Toad 01-09-08 09:53 AM

The point is the guy bolted in front of OP to be first at the intersection, instead of having to wait behind a couple cars in front of him.

The guy wanted to be first, plain and simple.

He wasn't in that lane, driving for a mile, then stayed in it at the intersection. If that were the case, I'd say "suck it up" or "deal with it" or someother silly comment.