Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Please don't pull into the right lane at a light if you are going straight...

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 01-10-08, 12:49 PM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
If you're driving on a three-lane road everybody should stay in the middle lane on the off-chance that it intersects with a one-way street and somebody wants to turn left on the red.
Old 01-10-08, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everyone just stay off the roads completely. Just think of all the gas money you will save

Thanks!
Old 01-10-08, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm getting in whatever lane has the least amount of traffic.

Or, by default, I drive in the right lane, because that's what you should do (use the left lane for passing).

So, I'll likely be stopped in the right lane a good portion of the time. Sorry righthand turners. You'll have to wait your 30 seconds just like I have to sometimes.
Old 01-10-08, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by GreenMonkey
I'm getting in whatever lane has the least amount of traffic.

Or, by default, I drive in the right lane, because that's what you should do (use the left lane for passing).

So, I'll likely be stopped in the right lane a good portion of the time. Sorry righthand turners. You'll have to wait your 30 seconds just like I have to sometimes.
I've never heard anyone say the left lane should be used for passing on city streets, only freeways and highways. I try to avoid the right lane in general just because with people turning into parking lots and side streets and with buses stopping they tend to travel much slower than other lanes.
Old 01-10-08, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still amusing how many people completely ignore the OP's point.
Old 01-10-08, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was just complaining to someone about this yesterday. Sure, it's not a HUGE deal but it is annoying when you've got your flow going and some jackass that isn't paying attention (read: 99% of CA drivers) decides to pull just that much further to the right, thus impeding your ability to make a quick right turn and not wait for the light cycle.
Old 01-10-08, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
I've never heard anyone say the left lane should be used for passing on city streets, only freeways and highways. I try to avoid the right lane in general just because with people turning into parking lots and side streets and with buses stopping they tend to travel much slower than other lanes.
Well, my city is rather rural (even including the occasional deer in the street), so stoplights tend to be fairly spaced out rather than one every city block. For example, the speed limit on both of the main thoroughfares in the city is 45mph (35mph in a few spots). So it feels kind of like a highway in that respect. Maybe this feels differently in more urban cities.
Old 01-10-08, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Toad
Still amusing how many people completely ignore the OP's point.
You ruin it for everyone behind you who actually wants to turn right. Thank you.
No, I think I got it. Deadlax wishes other drivers would intentionally back things up rather than use the roads as designed so he won't be inconvenienced. As has been noted several times, if the city planners wanted to have a dedicated right-turn lane there, they'd make one.
Old 01-10-08, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think we need pics of the intersection that deadlax is referring to.

There are some intersections I routinely go through where the majority of the traffic turns and the rest of the people leave room for the right turners to go.

I don't think he is talking about your typical intersection where the majority of people go staright. :shrugs: I could be wrong.
Old 01-10-08, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's a major intersection <1/8 mile from the Atlanta city limits where said right turn takes you down the road to Emory University and Hospital.

I have no problem with people using the lane to go straight, but if I'm coming down the right lane 50-100 feet before the intersection with my signal on, it's inconsiderate and discourteous to fellow drivers to make that change. Now when I say 50-100 feet that's like 5-9 cars you would have to sit behind. You're not at risk of missing the light.

I also stated multiple times I have no problems with anyone who is making an immediate right after the intersection, but if it's more than 200 feet, you've got enough time to merge over, especially with a good portion of the traffic turning right and the way people accelerate off green lights in the south.
Old 01-10-08, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JimRochester
No but the same people who think it's fine for you to wait a couple minutes for the light to change are in the right lane because they don't want to be behind a line of cars in the left where they may have to wait a few extra seconds to take off.

Thats the issue though..if there are 2 thru traveling lanes, why should someone have to sit in the left lane? That does not make any sense.
Old 01-10-08, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike
No, I think I got it. Deadlax wishes other drivers would intentionally back things up rather than use the roads as designed so he won't be inconvenienced. As has been noted several times, if the city planners wanted to have a dedicated right-turn lane there, they'd make one.
No, I don't think you do.

He doesn't give a shit if people drive in that lane. He gives a shit about people cutting over at the last minute to be first at a red light, when he's been in that lane with his blinker on.

Also, mentioning city planners in a thread about courteous drivers is the funniest thing in the thread. Good one!
Old 01-10-08, 03:49 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by deadlax
...especially with a good portion of the traffic turning right and the way people accelerate off green lights in the south.
I have noticed that. People really explode out of the light on a green light down here. I have to floor it to keep up sometimes or to keep an ass-hat from riding my ass.
Old 01-10-08, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Vin - one time I was exiting a gas station at a red light. It turned green, and for whatever reason I was distracted and didn't go. The car behind me laid on the horn. As I started to accellerate, a truck came barrelling through the intersection (through his red light). Not sure how bad it would've hurt, but I bet it wouldn't have felt nice.

Since that day I don't gun it when the light turns green. But you're right, you gotta watch out for impatient asses behind you.
Old 01-10-08, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Toad
No, I don't think you do.

He doesn't give a shit if people drive in that lane. He gives a shit about people cutting over at the last minute to be first at a red light, when he's been in that lane with his blinker on.
Maybe deadlax needs to change his original post. Whether the thread title is intentionally misleading or not, that's what people are commenting on.

I won't cut over in front of someone just to be "first". However, if I need to get into the right lane because I need to turn pretty soon, I'm going to take any opening that I see.
Old 01-10-08, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK, Under the circumstances of you coming up an empty right lane with your right turn blinker and a driver in the left lane intentionally cutting over in front of you with the sole purpose of being first in line despite seeing your blinker, AND not giving you room to turn...
I agree, he IS an asshat and you should be pissed