Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Please don't pull into the right lane at a light if you are going straight...

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Please don't pull into the right lane at a light if you are going straight...

Old 01-09-08, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NORML54601
I agree, but people are stupid, there's no use fighting it.

I agree with this statement for a lot of topics, people are stupid, however, driving is really not hard. Even someone with low intelligence can figure it out.

I find that driving issues tend to be more about rudeness and no one giving a shit about anyone else on the road or worse yet, the 'I have had a bad day so I am going to go out of my way to fuck you over on the highway' driver.

Driving laws and just plain being polite are two different things. People that drive according to the letter of the law and are unable to break from that mold in any given situation are not what I would call "good drivers"

Drivers that understand when to apply 'good judgement' in a situation to be polite or to help the flow of traffic while not risking anyone's safety are "good" drivers.

For example highway speed limit is 55mph, two lanes in the same direction, two cars moving at exactly 55 mph side-by-side effectively blocking the road, but being legally compliant drivers by not exceeding the speed limit.

Are both good drivers? HELL NO!

The driver in the left most lane should see that driving 55 mph side-by-side with another car is not polite and SHOULD VIOLATE the law a little bit by applying good judgement to incease his speed ABOVE the legal limit for a little while (where safe) to pass the car on the right, leave a gap, and pull into the right lane allowing others to pass as needed.

In the above example, the 'good driver' is the one that violated the law a little to not block up an entire roadway for miles and miles. A 'bad' but 'legally compliant' driver would have stayed at 55mph side-by-side another car for miles and miles. Sure he isn't doing anything to violate the law, he is just being a clueless asshole and using the law as an excuse to be such an asshole

If your judgement is so bad that you can't see these types of examples on the highway where legal driving is not good driving, then please be more aware of your surroundings and understand you won't burn in the 9th layer of hell for all eternity if you drive slightly outside the boundries of the law in order to be a 'good' driver.
Old 01-09-08, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by deadlax
You ruin it for everyone behind you who actually wants to turn right. Thank you.

The needs of the many (people going straight), outweigh the needs of the few (people turning on that red)

Last edited by superdeluxe; 01-09-08 at 01:35 PM.
Old 01-09-08, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by 4KRG
I agree with this statement for a lot of topics, people are stupid, however, driving is really not hard. Even someone with low intelligence can figure it out.

I find that driving issues tend to be more about rudeness and no one giving a shit about anyone else on the road or worse yet, the 'I have had a bad day so I am going to go out of my way to fuck you over on the highway' driver.

Driving laws and just plain being polite are two different things. People that drive according to the letter of the law and are unable to break from that mold in any given situation are not what I would call "good drivers"

Drivers that understand when to apply 'good judgement' in a situation to be polite or to help the flow of traffic while not risking anyone's safety are "good" drivers.

For example highway speed limit is 55mph, two lanes in the same direction, two cars moving at exactly 55 mph side-by-side effectively blocking the road, but being legally compliant drivers by not exceeding the speed limit.

Are both good drivers? HELL NO!

The driver in the left most lane should see that driving 55 mph side-by-side with another car is not polite and SHOULD VIOLATE the law a little bit by applying good judgement to incease his speed ABOVE the legal limit for a little while (where safe) to pass the car on the right, leave a gap, and pull into the right lane allowing others to pass as needed.

In the above example, the 'good driver' is the one that violated the law a little to not block up an entire roadway for miles and miles. A 'bad' but 'legally compliant' driver would have stayed at 55mph side-by-side another car for miles and miles. Sure he isn't doing anything to violate the law, he is just being a clueless asshole and using the law as an excuse to be such an asshole

If your judgement is so bad that you can't see these types of examples on the highway where legal driving is not good driving, then please be more aware of your surroundings and understand you won't burn in the 9th layer of hell for all eternity if you drive slightly outside the boundries of the law in order to be a 'good' driver.
[nit]A good driver would never break the law by surpassing the speed limit. In your example, the good driver would coast to 50 mph long enough to find a spot behind the right lane driver.[/nit]

Then again, I'm not a good driver. I speed up to 80.
DVD Talk Hero

PS fuck KRG talks a lot
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo
Sorry, unless the right lane if right turn only, I'll still occupy the right lane if it is the shortest.
That's what I said also. We still don't know if the lane is right turn only, or not. That makes all the difference.
Old 01-09-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Toad
That's not the point of his post. He doesn't say "stay out of there forever and ever, it's only for right turners."

It's amazing how many people see this as "it's my right, so I can do it."
No he is not specificly saying stay out of the right lane "forever and ever", but if you should be courtious at EVERY intersection then that means "forever and ever". Unless the OP is saying be courtious only at the intersection he is at, that is exactly what it means.

I can never guess exactly which intersection might cause an elitest right turner to feel slighted so I should just stay out of the lane period.
Old 01-09-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
PS fuck KRG talks a lot

I am avoiding as much work as possible today

I think you have to be taller than a yard stick to be a good driver

I love how most people here use the 'legally compliant' driver excuse for being an asshat on the highway.
Old 01-09-08, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

phone books + cinder blocks FTW baby
Old 01-09-08, 02:08 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by DeputyDave
I can never guess exactly which intersection might cause an elitest right turner to feel slighted so I should just stay out of the lane period.
When you start discriminating against right hand turners, the terrorists have already won.
Old 01-09-08, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega
When you start discriminating against right hand turners, the terrorists have already won.
*Insert Stuey Griffin's rant about using the "Weakest Link" joke several years after its been beat to death*
Old 01-09-08, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
What's stupid about it? The right lane is not designated as a perpetual "turn only" lane.
It's inefficient and causes traffic congestion. The same "I want it now" arguement that is being applied to those who are turning right could also be applied to those going straight and they just have to get across the road 3 seconds sooner. If everyone were more aware of other drivers and were a little more friendly on the road it would cut down on accidents and make everyone's day a little easier. I know asking people to be nice to each other is a pipedream, but the logic works.
Old 01-09-08, 02:19 PM

These traffic threads keep getting more and more anal and paranoid.
Old 01-09-08, 02:26 PM

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
It's inefficient and causes traffic congestion.
As opposed to everybody driving in the left hand lane? These roads are two lanes wide for all traffic, not just those turning right.
Old 01-09-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by C-Mart
If there is 40% right turn traffic (highly doubtful) then they should indeed have a right turn lane. Granted, that isn't always possible due to right of way constraints, but I've never seen a right turn volume that high... and as a traffic engineer I've seen a lot of intersection counts.
I go through an intersection every day that easily has 50% right turns but no right turn lane.

Could it be because the cross street hits at an angle? The street I'm turning from is north-south; the cross street (the busier of the two) bears east-northeast towards the city. It's the northbound street that has the constant right turns to head east-northeast.
Old 01-09-08, 02:47 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Originally Posted by Adiras
These traffic threads keep getting more and more anal and paranoid.
Old 01-09-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's inefficient and causes traffic congestion. .

You thinking piling everyone into the left lane would be more efficient?
Old 01-09-08, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
One of my peeves just (almost) happened at lunch. I am right line, green light, but traffic preventing me from crossing the intersection. I am waiting for the car in front of me (across intersection) to move up enough so I can cross and not block anyone and there is a truck turning right that thinks he can go (he has the red light) and get behind the car in front of me. I honked and waved a finger at him (no no no finger, not the middle finger) and he looked at me like WTF?

I hate that esp when its really busy and you don't want to get screwed then block the intersection...
Old 01-09-08, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
That's it. I've had it. From here on out, every thoroughfare in America will have six lanes.

Even the alleys.

Signed,
The Street Grid Nazi

Old 01-09-08, 05:51 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Originally Posted by Chrisedge
One of my peeves just (almost) happened at lunch. I am right line, green light, but traffic preventing me from crossing the intersection. I am waiting for the car in front of me (across intersection) to move up enough so I can cross and not block anyone and there is a truck turning right that thinks he can go (he has the red light) and get behind the car in front of me. I honked and waved a finger at him (no no no finger, not the middle finger) and he looked at me like WTF?

I hate that esp when its really busy and you don't want to get screwed then block the intersection...
That is especially annoying. You are doing the right thing by not causing gridlock and the ass-clown making the right is taking advantage.
Old 01-09-08, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
You thinking piling everyone into the left lane would be more efficient?
No but the same people who think it's fine for you to wait a couple minutes for the light to change are in the right lane because they don't want to be behind a line of cars in the left where they may have to wait a few extra seconds to take off.
Old 01-09-08, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
As opposed to everybody driving in the left hand lane? These roads are two lanes wide for all traffic, not just those turning right.
Exactly. If I'm in the right lane and going straight, I'll pull up so the guy behind me can turn, but that only works till the next car going straight pulls up. If I can turn right on red, I see that as a good thing, but I don't see it as something I'm entitled to do every single time I want to.

My personal pet peeve has to do with turning left. I hate it when drivers ahead of me see a red light and start slowing down so they won't have to stop. The way the lights work in my town is that if no one is in the left turning lane when the light changes, there is no green arrow. So the people who slow to a crawl can stop those behind them from getting to the intersection in time for their turning light. I'll drive down the suicide lane to avoid that if it's safe to do so, but it often isn't.
Old 01-10-08, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Chrisedge

I absolutely, fucking hate those assholes. You usually end up having to block the intersection just so you don't get fucked, and miss your light.
Old 01-10-08, 11:43 AM
mbs

Can we then make the left lane for straight only? Until that happens, I'll keep driving straight in the right lane, thanks.
Old 01-10-08, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Drivers
Old 01-10-08, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To heck with you, you should have planned a more direct route without all this direction changing. I'm going straight, and therefore have priority over you and your wishy-washy excessive-steering ilk.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.